Experience with 6.4l needed

usmcpsd

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I havent had much luck finding info on other forums so I figured id come where the knowledge seems to be located.
I'm about 80% sold on a 6.4L truck, however I need be certain that I'll be able to bulletproof it to survive a "day on the life of a ranch"!

What can I do performance/aftermarket wise to bulletproof a DRW F350/F450 for consistent use hauling and towing trailers as well as DDing?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
delete the egr and delete the dpf. high mileage 6.4's that have never been dleted are a risky purchase IMO .

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
If they are all stock and high mileage the regen process can hurt the motor. I would stear clear unless the price was right.

Edit: high mileage I would consider anything past the factory warranty period. Others would disagree I'm sure haha

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I don't want to high jack OPs thread but I feel I'm in the same boat. I'm on the fence about one but I don't know what to look for or what to stay away from. I found one I like with 115k on it but have no idea what to look for.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
LOW ENGINE HOURS!!!!!!

I talked to a guy a couple days ago with an '08 KR with over 400k miles. Original owner, bone stock truck. Crappy thing is it was misdiagnosed with bad turbos for a torn boot. Some hack nicked the oil drain o-ring putting turbos on, and it eventually ran low on oil and trashed the motor.

The truck was a chase truck and ran up and down the highway and he never idled it.

dollar for dollar, I'll take a 140k mile truck with a perfect service history and a 40-45mph average speed over a 60k mile truck from a used car lot and a 15mph average speed EVERY TIME

I've bought a couple 6.4's in the 100-135k range. Both had good average speeds, good oasis/maint records, and both have been flawless

dmkolb

Reaction score
Make sure when you delete the EGR you deleted the EGR coolers so they don't crack and start to leak into the engine.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
about to hit 200k on the original coolers in my Job 2 F350... if I ever see white smoke, I'll shut it down and deal with it. Until then, they're staying put! LOL

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I would do full deletes on egr and exhaust. I take it the hours and average speed are in the dash and found with the info button?

usmcpsd

Reaction score
When deleting the EGR "system" which vendor(s) sells the full delete kits? When I get one I dont want to waste too much time before its been deleted.

I'll probably regret asking this question since it'll make me think more but... Is a 2011-2013 F250 6.7L XLT with >40K miles a better buy than a 2008-2010 F350/F450 Lariat/KR 6.4L >70K miles assuming they are with $2-4k if each other. Wifes making me triple check this purchase before we get the new ranch truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When deleting the EGR "system" which vendor(s) sells the full delete kits? When I get one I dont want to waste too much time before its been deleted.

I'll probably regret asking this question since it'll make me think more but... Is a 2011-2013 F250 6.7L XLT with >40K miles a better buy than a 2008-2010 F350/F450 Lariat/KR 6.4L >70K miles assuming they are with $2-4k if each other. Wifes making me triple check this purchase before we get the new ranch truck.
if you're really worried about that if rather get the 6.7. More realiable stock on stock. JUST CHECK ENGINE HOURS!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

i would feel very safe getting either of those vehicles listed. at that point i would decide what is best for you in options.

Last edited:

usmcpsd

Reaction score
The 6.7s dont have as many features but ill start driving them this weekend to see which i like better. Its definitly easier for me in my area to find a lower mileage 6.4l than an inexpensive 6.7l
I need hauling capability of a 350/450 however I have modified a 250 (in my sig) to haul some pretty heavy loads.
From experience which will drive/haul better? (Modified 6.4 or stock 6.7) assuming both have a tuner.

Latest posts

Members online