External Trans filter removal

strokinpower

Reaction score
I have an early early job one 08 with the external trans filter. I am interested in removing that filter and converting over to the new style pan and internal filter. Is there any one that has done this and could tell me how they did it or give me any advice? Thanks

Zmann

Reaction score
Keith I have only read about 1 guy who had a block made up

I haven't seen a bypass available so without changing the lines you may not find a lot of help

you could always change the external filter and do the pan and filter mod also the external would likley last forever LOL

but thats probably money better spent on the new lines

strokinpower

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't think the element was removable. I may just do what Zmann suggested. I guess I'll do all that when I finally order the modified DD solenoid. Let me ask you this. I've seen some people say that the newer style internal filter has a different hookup than the old style internal screen. I'm guessing that's not the case.

Zmann

Reaction score
Mark he has the bellhousing bastard filter
9973_stock_lg.jpg

Keith I have done the internal filter swap there are no fitment issues as long as you use the proper pan

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The 4 port filter requires a special tool to remove it, its also a 200.00 filter. Just do what I did, I got job 2 / 3 style lines and did a deep sump pan with the internal filter. Way cheaper than the tool and new filter.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I was thinking of the filter near the radiator. I don't know why they went to this filter for a short time, it was done after I left Ford.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I was thinking of the filter near the radiator. I don't know why they went to this filter for a short time, it was done after I left Ford.

It was a stupid move, I just said eff it and ripped it all of and updated it to the newer style. Not even worth messing with, 50.00 filter vs 200.00 the 50.00 filter wins every time lol.

strokinpower

Reaction score
Tell me if this is a bad idea and it sounds bad to me but I was wondering if you could just take that filter off and cut the fittings off the line and splice them together with rubber hose and clamps. God that looks even more ghetto typed out lol

strokinpower

Reaction score
I found on rock auto they have an aftermarket external filter like the oem one for $48 and you can get a motorcraft one for $86. I guess thats not to bad however I don't have the tool to change it.

Last edited:

strokinpower

Reaction score
every one has said that none of the ones you can buy in the kits at the part stores or anything will work it has to be a special tool just for those.

Zmann

Reaction score
well the partstores don't sell the5 r transmission / radiator disconnect tools but some say the fuel line tools work / they do not they just look the same
if ford made a proprietary tool for this one filter I would be embarrassed for them

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
well the partstores don't sell the5 r transmission / radiator disconnect tools but some say the fuel line tools work / they do not they just look the same
if ford made a proprietary tool for this one filter I would be embarrassed for them

Everyone that I've seen try to use one of those tools said it didn't work. A few years ago Ford was the only one that had the tool. By now I would assume SnapOn, Matco, Mac and so on probably have one too.

Latest posts

Members online