Extra horsepower in 7.3L

rebelpride1860

Reaction score
I've about to get a 7.3 and I was wondering what is the best way to get 500+ horsepower without breaking the bank or losing too much fuel mileage. Any suggestions? The truck is a 2000 model F350 if you wanted to know. Thanks.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Expensive platform (relative to the others out there) to make that kind of power from. Thinking 238/100, 468/369sxe, aftermarket hpop and rr/dual SD pumps. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. One more thing, you'll need a bts or equivalent trans backing that thing up. The more knowledgeable guys will comment shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
No way to do it without breaking the bank. Five grand at least to make 500 RWHP, with reliability. And that's if you do the work yourself.

And that RR would have to be homebuilt, You need to rebuild and restack the front and rear differentials to hold up to the torque. Head studs, different valve springs. It's a labor of love. With a 6.4 or a 6.7, all you need is a tuner. With a 7.3, you are way more than doubling RWHP.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
No way to do it without breaking the bank. Five grand at least to make 500 RWHP, with reliability. And that's if you do the work yourself.

And that RR would have to be homebuilt, You need to rebuild and restack the front and rear differentials to hold up to the torque. Head studs, different valve springs. It's a labor of love. With a 6.4 or a 6.7, all you need is a tuner. With a 7.3, you are way more than doubling RWHP.
I knew someone like Andy would be by soon with the goods. Forgot about the studs and valve springs.

I think these trucks can make good reliable tow pigs that can keep up or even to certain extent out perform the newer trucks for 2.5 to 3 grand (doing the work yourself). Go fast is a different story. I think there are a couple of builds going on right now, but might be a little north of what you are shooting for. Still good reads so you can get an idea of injector/turbo sizes and supporting mods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score

Don't forget the cost of the transmission upgrade. $5k in the motor to get to 500 rwhp. Then at least another $5k in a transmission after the 1st test drive!

As others have stated, it's expensive on the 7.3. I went to 400 for a lot of years, then wanted more. Bumped to 500 with tons more $$$. Then up to 600 with even more $$$. Got tired of chasing it and constantly tweaking, so I'm going back to 400, the simplicity, and the less costly reliability.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rebelpride1860

Reaction score
What he said. 500+ up is fun but expensive. There's a big jump in cost to hit 500 on these engines. You can have a nice 400 up truck without breaking the bank.
What would be the best things to get to do that? I just want to make a mean sounding fast truck. Going from a 6.4 I know its gonna feel slow.

TyCorr

Reaction score
400? Some 175/30s and a 38r lol...tuning...done. drive it for a bit and then put a converter, valve body, and larger cooler.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
^ WHS.

Drop in turbo, little bigger injectors and some good tunes. You could do a regulated return and, depending on the condition of your hpop, an upgraded one.

Torque converter and valve body should keep the trans happy.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Don't forget the cost of the transmission upgrade. $5k in the motor to get to 500 rwhp. Then at least another $5k in a transmission after the 1st test drive!

As others have stated, it's expensive on the 7.3. I went to 400 for a lot of years, then wanted more. Bumped to 500 with tons more $$$. Then up to 600 with even more $$$. Got tired of chasing it and constantly tweaking, so I'm going back to 400, the simplicity, and the less costly reliability.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

In the process of doing this myself. Mostly because I can't keep my foot out off the skinny pedal and I'd rather focus on other projects and have a truck just to tug the trailer around.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
IMO these 7.3 trucks are like any other, some just run better than others. The other engine I had in my truck was sick,partially due to neglect and running cheap tunes. Even though it had 4" dp& S&B intake. But neglect and crappy tunes will destroy these engines,IMO! When I bought my donor truck for the engine,2000 model, stock all the way it ran like a raped ape. I did reg return with sump and pre filters,non ebb pedestal,hi flo outlet with intake and 4 dp and then I put a ts chip in it I can't see why anyone would want any faster or stronger. Now I don't have a chip and it's still plenty. What I plan to do to mine next is a tr setup just because my piping is old and more selection of turbos and better. I've got some gaskets that are leaky so I plan on pulling the engine replacing some of these(not head gaskets) and upgrade hpop,and go with wild man,or gear head tunes and the injectors that they recommend. One of the guys on here explained to me about chevron delo oil,I've ran it ever sense. I pulled 12k from Nc to Cali last week and barely burned a half quart of oil(260,000 miles) I'll use stantadyne in The fuel in the winter with tranny fluid and 2 cycle oil and tranny fluid in summer. Keep filters changed and fluids changed and use good heat wrap wherever you can and you'll keep IMO the best platform you can own for badass truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
IMO these 7.3 trucks are like any other, some just run better than others. The other engine I had in my truck was sick,partially due to neglect and running cheap tunes. Even though it had 4" dp& S&B intake. But neglect and crappy tunes will destroy these engines,IMO! When I bought my donor truck for the engine,2000 model, stock all the way it ran like a raped ape. I did reg return with sump and pre filters,non ebb pedestal,hi flo outlet with intake and 4 dp and then I put a ts chip in it I can't see why anyone would want any faster or stronger. Now I don't have a chip and it's still plenty. What I plan to do to mine next is a tr setup just because my piping is old and more selection of turbos and better. I've got some gaskets that are leaky so I plan on pulling the engine replacing some of these(not head gaskets) and upgrade hpop,and go with wild man,or gear head tunes and the injectors that they recommend. One of the guys on here explained to me about chevron delo oil,I've ran it ever sense. I pulled 12k from Nc to Cali last week and barely burned a half quart of oil(260,000 miles) I'll use stantadyne in The fuel in the winter with tranny fluid and 2 cycle oil and tranny fluid in summer. Keep filters changed and fluids changed and use good heat wrap wherever you can and you'll keep IMO the best platform you can own for badass truck.

I agree to an extent but after putting so much work into my truck over the last 16 years I want a little more to show for it than 260-320 hp. I run 250/200s so when its empty i can have fun and driveas spirited as I choose to. It still does what you are describing just as easily but i csn also boil the rear tires with a trailer if I want to.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, my dually is a blast to drive when empty. Will pull a house down when working it.

Wish I still had some of that money in my account though.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Lots of great points by everyone. I bought my truck before doing enough research so that's my fault but my truck wasn't cared for by previous owners. I wanted more power but nothing crazy I installed a mbrp exhaust stage 1 injectors and had it tuned by Bill with php performance.
I told Bill I wanted more power but not a smoke show, he gave me what I was looking for nice power without all the smoke. On the hottest tune it will create a haze once the stock turbo lights.
Truck made 235 before and 381hp after the tune. Now I won't lie my Trans is not happy but it has lasted me since 2012 since I had the work done. I don't drive around spinning the tires and acting a fool which I think helps lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Lots of great points by everyone. I bought my truck before doing enough research so that's my fault but my truck wasn't cared for by previous owners. I wanted more power but nothing crazy I installed a mbrp exhaust stage 1 injectors and had it tuned by Bill with php performance.
I told Bill I wanted more power but not a smoke show, he gave me what I was looking for nice power without all the smoke. On the hottest tune it will create a haze once the stock turbo lights.
Truck made 235 before and 381hp after the tune. Now I won't lie my Trans is not happy but it has lasted me since 2012 since I had the work done. I don't drive around spinning the tires and acting a fool which I think helps lol.

Yea. If you use max hp on any setup it wears it out quicker.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.