failed contribution on 8 and wastegate problem

brian89

Reaction score
Pulled codes after my drive from florida and got waste steady state failure, turbo boost sensor curcuit A high/low, and contribution test for cylinder 8 failed, so what does all this mean?

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Pulled codes after my drive from florida and got waste steady state failure, turbo boost sensor curcuit A high/low, and contribution test for cylinder 8 failed, so what does all this mean?

^WTF is that?

What are the actual codes? (The numbers)

What is the truck doing? Chances the #8 CCT is just the CPS, #3 and #8 fail frequently because of the CPS.

TARM

Reaction score
That waste gate error is code P1249 IIRC.

First off are the red or green hose that goes to the waste gate solenoid valve plugged in? As if not that will cause that code. The solenoid is the black canister I guess you could say it looks like that sits right infront of the Y. Has a green connector on it with a green and red line coming out of it. Could also be the unit itself went bad. But over all its nothing earth shattering unless your engine is running bad or smoking bad etc...

The P0238 turbo boost sensor curcuit A high/low is from overboost almost always unless you are not chipped or programed. Then it could be an actual issue. Basically you made more boost than the factory PCM tune allows for. You got the overboost code. Some tuners know how to actually tune the map so the map can handle these codes. Others just set the tune to turn off the code but do nothing in the tune to deal with the actual issue or they just let the code show. In the latter situation you need a boost fooler to prevent this. It can lead to defueling in some situations which you would feel a loss of power while still on the throttle.

What CPS do you have? As has been said its not that unusual to see a 3&8 if you are running one of the newer CPS units. If you have a grey one try get one that is manf by Delphi. Advance Auto sells them online. Usually do not have them in the store. They are almost exactly like the old blacks and tend to have the least issue with phantom codes from weak magnets and other specs.

First thing to do is record all the codes you got and then erase them and see what comes back just with a key cycle restart of the engine. Then take it for a normal drive and see. Then give a good hard run gradually getting into the throttle.

brian89

Reaction score
sorry i missed gate, but i have the factory cps in it, not sure which one that is but does that mean its about time for a new one? but its not running bad or smoking excessively that i can tell so im guessing i dont have to worry? i will go clear codes and run it again and see what happens, thanks

TARM

Reaction score
No it most times just means the CPS is giving you a phantom code and likely did this from the day it was installed. Its not a hard code that trips the SES. It comes from running the contribution test. Take a look under the front of the engine and see what color your CPS is. My bet is its grey if it has every been to the dealership in the last 3 or so years as it was mandatory recall. When mine was changed out I lost mpg idle and was bit rougher.

If your truck runs well with what you have do not worry about anything.

But I see you have a DP tuner and some upgrades. Based on that I would not worry about the codes you have but I thought DP had stated they tuned for the map sensor so not overboost codes. Maybe yours is a few years old or maybe they actually do not. Might give them a call/email and confirm.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Not to thread jack but when i build boost under wot ie. 30psi my cel comes on but goes out about 30seconds after i let off. I always thought it was either overboosting of some sort of factory egt warning. I have a ts 6pos chip intake and straight exhaust

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.