Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

redracer62

Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone tried rev-x or something like that? I hope mine doesn't do it when its changed for the first time, but that will be a while.

Reaction score
I have used
rotella T 15w-40
Rotella t6 5w-40
Valvoline blue 15w-40
Valvoline extreme 5w-40
I'm using mobil 1 0w-40 euro spec with the archoil oil additive right now...
Nothing has made a difference, as soon as it warms up its tick city lol
I might try 5w-50 next

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone tried rev-x or something like that? I hope mine doesn't do it when its changed for the first time, but that will be a while.

I did some schaeffers moley ep my first change with delo 15-40..

But yeah, for the most part, everyone is experiencing different scenarios.

live life full throttle....
load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wtf did you just say

Near as I can tell is that he did full oci with each oil and switched oils at each oci.. like most of us are doing....

dont know who would just pull the plug and drop $60-$100 of oil out just to see if it fixes it.. as most know that its a common thing that occurs with these trucks.

live life full throttle....
load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car..

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Doing a bit of my own testing, this problem seems to be the same problem we here only in a G3616 cat engine. It ticks it's guts out in the right front corner of the engine.

Best we've been able to figure out on the specific series in the 3600 family is coolant/oil deltaT. I've taken the time to analyze the problem till I couldn't analyze no more.

This issue with the 6.7's psd and 6.6dmax seem to be more unvailed during colder ambient air temperatures.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The tick is definitely temperature related. Its also appears to be oil age related.

My typewriter tick is most present on new oil only. Give it 1500 miles and its pretty quiet. And then only appears as oil reaches 200*F. But also the coolant temp plays a factor in this as well.

Lots of variables here!

alwil

Reaction score
I had the tick for a total of 1 day and have not heard it since, I didnt change oils it just stopped doing it.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Mine is very very random. Just getting ready to turn 8500 miles and switched to schaeffers 100 miles ago and no difference compared to motor craft oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
The tick is definitely temperature related. Its also appears to be oil age related.

My typewriter tick is most present on new oil only. Give it 1500 miles and its pretty quiet. And then only appears as oil reaches 200*F. But also the coolant temp plays a factor in this as well.

Lots of variables here!

Delta swinging which way causes the tick?
Hydraulic lifters on the G3616 or solid?

Latest posts

Members online