Faster Spool

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When I had my 6.4 I had the following it and it spooled quick. I used it mainly for towing a pretty heavy trailer so I needed a quick spool.
59/73 Turbos
Morgan (Midwest Diesel) and Precision TC.
No Limit Piping and Intercooler, 6.0 manifolds and up-pipes.
The trans and TC helped the most on spool, made it quicker than the stock trans and TC.

TXAG07

Reaction score
Thanks TB, thanks what I'm looking for. Based on everyone's responses I'm going to stick with the stock/72 combo, save for future trans, get an intercooler if I'm feeling the itch to mod now, play with the new Sp****n tuning and look at others, and keep an eye out for some 4.10s.

I'll update when I get some tuning changes.

Strokersace

Reaction score
How do i get a hold of him? I dont have fb anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wondering the same thing? I had his tunes years ago on the 7.3. Since getting a Hydra, thinking of switching up from GH to try Cale's again. And needing some custom tunes for the 6.4 that will be a tow vehicle.

Rubenk

Reaction score
He isnt a vendor here so hopefully its not an issue for me to share. Cale Thompson, Tyrant Diesel: (870) 577-4590

f350guy

Reaction score
don`t waste the time doing just a converter. Because a new triple disc will be tight and not slip, the next weakest link is the direct clutches which will take the slip and eventually burn up. When those burn up, the material will trash your converter. Do it once, right.

And yes-1600 is awesome for everything. it helps most in stoplight to stoplight. Your truck will actually feel more powerful because it is transmitting what power you do have, to the ground better.

This. I love my RCD 1600 stall. No more blowing through the converter even on mild tunes.

But 37s and stock gearing will not be fun with minimal mods. I ran some 35s for a while when I drove on ****ty offroad surfaces with stock 3.73:1 and truck was noticeably slower, this will be even worse with 37s.

You are not only battling height but rotational mass. I think the Nitto 35 MTs I was running were about 80lbs/ea versus around 50lbs for the stock Goodyears I had when purchased new. This is only counting the tires, I did not change the wheels.

I went back to stock height tires as I do not drive in that crap anymore, truck felt like it picked up a nice bump in power as it was able to put the power down so much easier. Also my fuel economy came back.

So, that being said... I would regear first if you plan to keep 37s. I would probably do 4.56:1 gears, that would put you right around 2000rpm @ 70mph assuming 0.71:1 for OD in the 5R1110W

Replace that junk Traclock while you have it apart.

footlong70

Reaction score
4.56 is too steep IMO for 37's. Especially if you do highway cruising a lot and want to maintain some mileage. I went from 3.55/38.5" rubber which was luggy but had so much jam on the highway at speed for passing, ect. Pretty well any time it was spooled it still threw you back into the seat. Pulling 10k rv was a bit luggy/smokey however you learn to drive it or just pull in a gear lower when needed. At 110km/70mph I ran 1500 RPM.
Last summer I did gears/lockers, opting for mileage still and without the additional engine wear of running +2100 RPM while spooling the turbos a bit better. I'm now sitting at 1850 RPM with the same 38.5" tires and 4.11's at 70mph.
As far as performance, I'm very happy with the swap, very noticeable spool and torque increase, especially towing. In town in stop and go traffic was where the new gears shined. I think if I hauled real heavy on a regular basis I'd go with 4.30's for the same rubber, but that would be my limit.

Highroller54

Reaction score
My truck is a dog in town, once spooled up its great but even just trying to turn in traffic is painful. 37's, 3:55's, G-H tunes. I hate the pedal delay and I hate how long it takes to get its ass moving.
Does tyrant do anything for the pedal delay? I can poke my throttle on off on off on off and changes nothing. Takes a good second or better before it reacts.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
My truck is a dog in town, once spooled up its great but even just trying to turn in traffic is painful. 37's, 3:55's, G-H tunes. I hate the pedal delay and I hate how long it takes to get its ass moving.
Does tyrant do anything for the pedal delay? I can poke my throttle on off on off on off and changes nothing. Takes a good second or better before it reacts.

gear that bad boy. you will be SO happy. 4:10's or 4:30's .

Highroller54

Reaction score
That is in the works as we speak. 4.10's was my plan and a true track (sp) but I still need to address tunes as well. It was allot better on the hd300 but the trans tuning sucked and it smoked way too much. Felt like a douche.

Rubenk

Reaction score
You can increase the responsiveness, but it will be a bit smokier. But smoke really just depends on your right foot most of the time.

ckrueg

Reaction score
You can increase the responsiveness, but it will be a bit smokier. But smoke really just depends on your right foot most of the time.
Are you talking about reducing the pedal lag? I know on my truck I can stab the throttle really quick and nothing happens

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Highroller54

Reaction score
That's what I am after, well that and quicker spool (more fuel)
Hell I want mine like a old p pump cummins lol.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Are you talking about reducing the pedal lag? I know on my truck I can stab the throttle really quick and nothing happens

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure specifically makes actual throttle response much better, but i'm sure its a combo of fuel and pedal response.

When I mat mine, stuff happens!

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Actual throttle sensitivity was not altered. The same amount of pedal will produce the same amount of torque as before.

This alters (removes, rather) the pedal lag time. There are ramps for transient pedal movements that create pedal lag.

In other words, you give 20% pedal in an abrupt movement. The ECM dampens that response by ramping the pedal from 0% to 20% over a period of time. We removed that time period, allowing a direct response from the pedal to torque management.

It was disabled a very long time ago on 6.4 with our files. We just turned it back on in the 325 beta. That's also the origin of the throttle damping switch in the upcoming OST.

Let's try this again, posted in the wrong thread..

Here is what Matt @ spart-an posted in the 13-16 thread awhile
back for their new "quick" response 6.7 files, I bet he can share more info on making a "quicker" response file for 6.4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online