FICM here we go....

mikelee

Reaction score
Ok well I've been scratching my head for a couple of hours now and I need some closer...

2004 6.0 crank no start at 40 degrees. Guy has someone come look at it. Says it's the Ficm board. Owner orders one from Amazon for 200 bucks. Doesn't fix it.

Gets a hold of me. So I go over there. I bring my IDS and scan for codes.

P0603 power interruption on KAPWR. Figure it's dead batteries.

P0611 FICM performance

P1000 maybe the last guy cleared codes? Not sure

P1378 FICM supply voltage circuit low. Hmmm got me thinking

I asked the guy to make sure both batteries are fully charged and they weren't. So I thought.. I go to Data logger and start reading pids. Battery voltage low so I hook jumper cables to my 6L and now the truck is reading 12.3v.

Now I checks pids for ICP pressure while cranking. Well over 600psi

FICM vehicle power from ignition 12.3v

FICM main internal injector power 0v

FICM logic power fused from FICM relay 0v

Hmm interesting. So I get a Ficm out of my other 2005 6.0 (yea I know but it should start) my Ficm worked perfect.

Plug it in and notice FICM logic is at 2.50v but dies down. Each time I cycle the key the Ficm logic and main internal power gets higher up to 35v then dies down to zero if you leave the key on.

Try cranking the truck over even with jumper cables and it dies right down like weak batteries.

So I swap batteries from my truck to his. Same slow slow cranks. Put his batteries in mine and it rolls over fast and starts.

With my good Ficm and batteries obviously if it was a solid Ficm issue it should start but I'm guessing it's a draw issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

webb06

Reaction score
Ok well I've been scratching my head for a couple of hours now and I need some closer...

2004 6.0 crank no start at 40 degrees. Guy has someone come look at it. Says it's the Ficm board. Owner orders one from Amazon for 200 bucks. Doesn't fix it.

Gets a hold of me. So I go over there. I bring my IDS and scan for codes.

P0603 power interruption on KAPWR. Figure it's dead batteries.

P0611 FICM performance

P1000 maybe the last guy cleared codes? Not sure

P1378 FICM supply voltage circuit low. Hmmm got me thinking

I asked the guy to make sure both batteries are fully charged and they weren't. So I thought.. I go to Data logger and start reading pids. Battery voltage low so I hook jumper cables to my 6L and now the truck is reading 12.3v.

Now I checks pids for ICP pressure while cranking. Well over 600psi

FICM vehicle power from ignition 12.3v

FICM main internal injector power 0v

FICM logic power fused from FICM relay 0v

Hmm interesting. So I get a Ficm out of my other 2005 6.0 (yea I know but it should start) my Ficm worked perfect.

Plug it in and notice FICM logic is at 2.50v but dies down. Each time I cycle the key the Ficm logic and main internal power gets higher up to 35v then dies down to zero if you leave the key on.

Try cranking the truck over even with jumper cables and it dies right down like weak batteries.

So I swap batteries from my truck to his. Same slow slow cranks. Put his batteries in mine and it rolls over fast and starts.

With my good Ficm and batteries obviously if it was a solid Ficm issue it should start but I'm guessing it's a draw issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Check and see if the a/c clutch locked up. I've seen this cause them to crank slow. If it it pop the belt off and it'll fire right up. Could also be the starter.

jtgf250

Reaction score
Also check all the wires in the harness from the driver fender to the fan. Just worked on an 04 that would crank great and not start. Fixed several butt spliced wires in the harness and popped 50A fuse in the fuse panel under the dash. Also check the fuse at the relay on the driver fender.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Batteries need to be checked/replaced...also the ficm relay could be getting weak. I Had never seen one go bad till the other day...the p13.. code is what sent me that way. Replaced and haven't had another issue. worth a look.

mikelee

Reaction score
With your Ficm relay issue did you have the same issue with the Ficm voltage topping fast once the ignition cycled to run?

mikelee

Reaction score
Just a question. With the ficm relay pulled (Grey relay in the box closes to the firewall) what should ficm logic voltage be? If you say zero then why when cycling the key I can get 35V? I wish I could get this truck into my barn with heat so I can really dig into it.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
It was on a customer truck and he was out of town at the time this happened, but he had access to a scan tool to get the codes. He had low voltage, less than 45, and all 8 injector circuit codes along with the p13..code. He had recently purchased a swamps 58v ficm from us and I knew the ficm was not the problem. After looking into the p13 code I told him what to do. He replaced it and bingo. When I get back to the shop I'll post exactly what it says, but basically it states that power going to the ficm is interrupted/intermittent.

Latest posts

Members online