Flow bench?

Buffalo444

Reaction score
The mechanics are pretty simple, but costs to get good reliable parts will add up.

The electronics need to be dead-nuts accurate every time to be able to exactly duplicate each firing event.
THIS will be your biggest hurdle. The IDM is a very complicated piece of equipment, it's not just a matter of throwing a switch on and off really fast.

I figured as much. I really need to find a good diagram and maybe manual of how the IDM operates.

caladash

Reaction score
Depending on what the IDM signal looks like on an oscilloscope you may be able to use a signal generator or something like that. Then adjust to simulate for rpm an such. Just thinking about it is sounding expensive. I'm all about a good challenge and to see how things work. But, a good oscilloscope, and a good signal generator isn't cheap.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Depending on what the IDM signal looks like on an oscilloscope you may be able to use a signal generator or something like that. Then adjust to simulate for rpm an such. Just thinking about it is sounding expensive. I'm all about a good challenge and to see how things work. But, a good oscilloscope, and a good signal generator isn't cheap.

I don't think I will need either of those things. I should be able to figure out how to power the IDM then signal the IDM to fire, then make sure it is signaled properly to get the proper PW. I figure all I should have to nail down is ICP, fuel pressure, fuel and oil temp, pulse width, and 1000 accurate signals.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
What's gonna simulate the crank position signal?

What needs to? All it has to do is get signaled 1000 times to fire at the proper PW. AFAIK the IDM has no thought processes, it is merely an amplifier for PCM signals. As long as I can find out what the PCM sends to the IDM to get it to fire the right pulse width, I should be able to make it work.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Wonder if a guy could mock up a camshaft/ CPS and drive a hpop with it, then run it at specific RPM's. Kind of a round about way of doing it, but could use factory electronics to drive everything.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Wonder if a guy could mock up a camshaft/ CPS and drive a hpop with it, then run it at specific RPM's. Kind of a round about way of doing it, but could use factory electronics to drive everything.

Good thing is it would simulate the in-pump pulses of a running HPOP. Bad thing is I think it would require way more effort than getting a much more simplified version going. Plus I believe with a 4000 PSI hydraulic pump and regulator I should have much better control over ICP. Not to mention it would get way expensive to supply the necessary volume of oil once I got over like a 200cc Injector.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I don't think I will need either of those things. I should be able to figure out how to power the IDM then signal the IDM to fire, then make sure it is signaled properly to get the proper PW. I figure all I should have to nail down is ICP, fuel pressure, fuel and oil temp, pulse width, and 1000 accurate signals.

You will need both of those. There are two signals that tell the IDM what to do. One generates the PW and triggers each injector to fire - the other tells the IDM which "group" of injectors to fire. The combination of two give you specifically what injector to fire, for how long, and for the amount of "off" time. After that its all sunshine and roses.

TARM

Reaction score
The spec I think I have seen on fuel when BTUs lubricity etc is tested is 65 F but I could be off. Basically room temp.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
You will need both of those. There are two signals that tell the IDM what to do. One generates the PW and triggers each injector to fire - the other tells the IDM which "group" of injectors to fire. The combination of two give you specifically what injector to fire, for how long, and for the amount of "off" time. After that its all sunshine and roses.

Could I not then turn the one that determines which injector to fire to a constant so it is always that injector, then have the other signal be the pulse width, signal to fire? seems to me like that would work unless I'm missing something else.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Could I not then turn the one that determines which injector to fire to a constant so it is always that injector, then have the other signal be the pulse width, signal to fire? seems to me like that would work unless I'm missing something else.

No - it does not work like that at all. You need to start by researching the IDM and the FDCS and CI signals - plenty of reading on here and on PSN that completely outlines its function and how they interact.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
No - it does not work like that at all. You need to start by researching the IDM and the FDCS and CI signals - plenty of reading on here and on PSN that completely outlines its function and how they interact.

Ok I'll search between the two. But since its not that simple... one would have to assume you could at least simulate the cam and PCM signals in order to get the Idm to fire the injector, right? At least put into the most basic terms.

mandkole

Reaction score
all of this to test a few injectors? Have you seen a flow bench run? You'll have a few thousand into just the controls. Id give a local shop an hour's worth of time any day...

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Why not? People say HEUI injectors are all tapped out and aren't worth messing with. I find them fascinating and would like to play around with them. I think if I had to pay somebody to do the controls id be in that deep, but I think with enough applied knowledge and experimentation I can do it myself.

TARM

Reaction score
Honestly the fact they work the way they do and as well as they do to me is a mechanical/electronic marvel. I never understood fully even looking at the designs until I took one apart and saw just how it all had to work together. I still think they are very cool design. The issue is they are too complex for what is needed when it comes to max power. When you consider how reliable they are and how the design protects the rest of the engine from any main oil pressure failure they do have a number or positives just not in the high rpm max power because of the needed volume of oil and the ratio to fuel.

Last edited:

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Thats some of the things id like to play with. I'm sure some of it has been done before, but being as those are trade secrets I think the only way I'll find out is trial and error.

sent from the passenger seats of the goose.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Thats some of the things id like to play with. I'm sure some of it has been done before, but being as those are trade secrets I think the only way I'll find out is trial and error.

sent from the passenger seats of the goose.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a giant waste of your time and money. I would assume that since you don't know how to build a flow bench or even what you would need to make one work, the data retrieved from said bench will be of little to no use to you as you wont know how to translate it into modifications. Im all for trial and error learning though, it's much more respectable than buying and copying. Just hate to see people invest thousands into something like this, and not get what they are hoping for. Best of luck

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is going to be a giant waste of your time and money. I would assume that since you don't know how to build a flow bench or even what you would need to make one work, the data retrieved from said bench will be of little to no use to you as you wont know how to translate it into modifications. Im all for trial and error learning though, it's much more respectable than buying and copying. Just hate to see people invest thousands into something like this, and not get what they are hoping for. Best of luck

I think I can get it going for less that what everyone is thinking. A lot of this is just going to be information scavenging until I have the knowledge to get it working. Putting it together isn't going to be the hard part, it's just going to be time consuming to do it all without outsourcing any of the build. While I would more than welcome any help I can get, I doubt I will find many people with both the knowledge to help and the will to just give it away, being as I'm sure most of them have a stake in people NOT knowing how to build one at home. I do know how to translate cc flow to modifications (as into what HP you can get from a certain amount of fuel, what supporting mods are necessary, etc), but its all just a learning process.

I know its going to be difficult because of the lack of help and the over-all complicatedness of the HEUI system, but I'm willing to play around with it (and pay around with it for that matter. lol). I know chances are slim that I will see any return on my investment, but I think this will be fun.

If it puts any of this into context, I'm considering going to school to be a mechanical engineer. lol

Latest posts

Members online