FTE Resonator

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I guess my next mod to the truck will be an FTE Resonator. I love the sound of the truck with the 5" Straight Pipe Flopro, But it's just too loud when I drive aggressive lol. I'd also like to get rid of the little bit of drone the truck has when cruising so I'm thinking of giving the FTE a shot. How close are you guys mounting your Resonators/Mufflers to the downpipe? FTE told me to mount it as close to the Downpipe as Possible to rid the interior of drone. I'm not near my truck so I can't see how close I can actually get it to the downpipe. I'm still torn on if I should get the short or the long resonator as I've read mixed reviews about the Long 1 being too quiet and others saying it's perfect. I know it's all personal preference so it's hard to go based off of that. I'll get a before and after vid for you guys once I decide which length to go with and I get in from offshore in 3 weeks. Anyone that added a Resonator/Muffler care to add any input?

Charles

14ccd

Reaction score
I have the flo pro 4 inch and also didn't like the drone when towing. So I ordered the 30 inch version from FTE and put it on last night after work. I installed it as close to the front as possible, there is a hanger right by the transmission crossmember so I could not go closer to the front. There is a joint right there so I just went 4 inches back from that joint and installed it. Its nice and quiet now no drone but just a hint of growl at certain RPM's, highly recommend it

Clean-15

Reaction score
I have the flo pro 4 inch and also didn't like the drone when towing. So I ordered the 30 inch version from FTE and put it on last night after work. I installed it as close to the front as possible, there is a hanger right by the transmission crossmember so I could not go closer to the front. There is a joint right there so I just went 4 inches back from that joint and installed it. Its nice and quiet now no drone but just a hint of growl at certain RPM's, highly recommend it

Is 30 inch the long or short one?

2015 CCSB Lariat
Carli Pintop Leveling kit w/ full springs, 37in Yokohama Geolander AT/S's on 18x9 Fuel Trophy's, AMP boards and bedstep, 3M chip on front end and rockers.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
30" is the long one.
They flat out work. Adding one cured all my headaches with my twin turbo Cummins F250.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Forest I disagree on the restrictive part. I checked spool rpm, boost and EGT's before and after install and saw absolutely zero change.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you had a pretty quick spooling set of compounds though, correct?

I've read multiple reports of restriction from the 30". I believe BBEXCURSION or whatever his username was on PSN had some pretty detailed reports on it.

looking through it and looking straight through a Donaldson, it's fairly obvious which one flows better.

The auger style mufflers do work, but they are more restrictive than a straight through, there's just no way around it.

I doubt it will cause ANY noticeable difference on a 6.7 with a stock turbo or any reasonable HP combo.

Just splitting hairs and offering up a less expensive, more efficient option

dsmracing1

Reaction score
FTE Rsonator

I run the short resonator and I just replaced it on the spot the muffler would've been. Now I'm just running the resonator and it made a world of difference. I had the muffler on there before and it sounded similar but the drone when I was towing with the muffler was horrible and no drone with the shorty resonator.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
I run the short resonator and I just replaced it on the spot the muffler would've been. Now I'm just running the resonator and it made a world of difference. I had the muffler on there before and it sounded similar but the drone when I was towing with the muffler was horrible and no drone with the shorty resonator.
Awesome. On the Flopro was the muffler installed towards the rear of the exhaust? Sounds like I should go with the short one. If it's not good enough I can always order a 2nd one to install. You have any videos of a startup and some revs?
Thanks,

Charles

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply man. Check your Pm's.

Charles

Captaincworley

Reaction score

BK39

Reaction score
So I tried 5" exhaust with no muffler, it was too loud for my taste. I put a muffler on it, no change in my opinion. I added a 30" FTE resonator to it.............too quiet then. Took the muffler off, kept the FTE, no change.....still too quiet.........I ordered a 4" exhaust earlier this week, gonna try that out now. If I were to do it over again..........already having the 5" on the truck, I would have just bought the small resonator, not the big one.

I found an old thread. Shows where the FTE was installed. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53907&page=4

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Awesome. On the Flopro was the muffler installed towards the rear of the exhaust? Sounds like I should go with the short one. If it's not good enough I can always order a 2nd one to install. You have any videos of a startup and some revs?

Thanks,

Charles

Yes it was at the rear of the truck right before the axle curve on the exhaust. Here is a video I had on another post from a while ago now.

https://vimeo.com/134314928

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
So I tried 5" exhaust with no muffler, it was too loud for my taste. I put a muffler on it, no change in my opinion. I added a 30" FTE resonator to it.............too quiet then. Took the muffler off, kept the FTE, no change.....still too quiet.........I ordered a 4" exhaust earlier this week, gonna try that out now. If I were to do it over again..........already having the 5" on the truck, I would have just bought the small resonator, not the big one.

I found an old thread. Shows where the FTE was installed. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53907&page=4

I have AFE's 4" exhaust on my truck (no muffler) and it's loud.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I have a flo pro 5" with a jones 5050xl resonator/muffler and it is still loud but more reserved, and it still drones a little at interstate speeds with a load, not bad at all without the load. Nothing the radio can't drown out, but I am ordering the short FTE resonator to quiet the drone a little as I had my mother with me on a 2 hour road trip and could't crank on the radio

jcain

Reaction score
Factory exhaust, delete pipe only. Sounds mean at WOT yet very reserved for daily and no drone while towing. And the cops are none the wiser with factory tips.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Factory exhaust, delete pipe only. Sounds mean at WOT yet very reserved for daily and no drone while towing. And the cops are none the wiser with factory tips.

but think of all the whore's power you're leaving on the table by not going 5" straight pipe!!!!!! :hammer:

Latest posts

Members online