FUC$ AIR DOG

Pure Evil

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put this I just wanted to make a post somewhere so that if I may cost Air Dog at least one more customer and just that may make me feel better. After selling many of these pump systems and installing them myself with absolutely no headaches the Air Dog 165(which was my most suggested kit on basis of simplicity) on my personal truck dies. Just running down the road no warning(most of you know how fuel pumps change pitch etc when a problem is coming) just starts to lose power and the truck dies, so I coast to the side of the road check the gauge on my regulated return and no fuel pressure. This pump was installed early 2012 and has maybe 10-12k miles on it tops. Filters have been changed twice with Air dog replacements once for service, once because I did get bad fuel. So I call and talk to that dumb **** know nothing Josh in tech service and since I didn't fill out the warranty card nothing I can do except pay up and get a new pump. So that's exactly what I do. I received the pump last week and Saturday I have time to install which to you who are in the know is really nothing to do. But the new pump won't build suction, yes it runs, pumps are turning the correct direction (figure maybe it could be a crossed wire?), no leaks just will not prime. I won't go through everything I tried to get this pump working but suffice it to say I could have put one of my Weldon pumps on the truck made new lines and sumped the tank in the time I tried to get this damn thing going. My last ditch effort was to install my old pump again (which will build pressure just not maintain) and boom fuel pressure to the engine. So I put the new pump back on and the engine runs what it has from the pump forward out and again no fuel.. So I call today HOT about this unpleasant turn of events and am told by Josh I must have the orings wrong and the ball in the wrong spot. I assure him I do not and that I very much need yet another new pump so I can drive the truck and I want one over nighted. A service I'm told that I must pay for and if when they receive the pump it is indeed a failure I wouldn't be charged the second pump price (another 219). Gee mighty kind of you there pal. So now hopefully I may get something that works in return for my money and I can only hope it lasts longer than most people drive their trucks in a matter of months. What I'd like to do is throw the whole assembly through the front door of PureFlow in Shelbyville, IN (apparently where this was thoroughly tested before being shipped 4/22/13). But after all this time/money/trouble I'll settle for this rant and maybe just maybe having a fuel pump that works long enough for someone else to own it.. So hey anyone want a low use
un-reliable Air Dog? Didn't think so...

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Unfortunately this has been a common problem. It seems a few tricks were tried to remedy the issues, but nothing every really pointed to being a "fix." Some went to heavier gauge power wire, some said you needed a larger suction line etc...

A few guys have even taken these pumps and turned them into low pressure pumps to feed a high pressure like a fuelab etc.

There was a good thread on the ORG with Josh or someone from Airdog saying they were redesigning the pumps too.

g2shuck

Reaction score
I just found out that airdog is acctually based in my town and I might try to go down and talk to them about the supposed "updated" pumps

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
yeah the pupms crap the bed....alot, so did/does my FASS, but that warranty card is inthere for a reason.... I hope that when you do install them in customers trucks that you give them the warranty information and insist that they fill it out and send it in. I know thats the first thing I did with my FASS, it went out a week after I had it installed and I have been thru 4 free pumps since..... there is a security deposit that has went down over the years to cover them incase someone doesnt return the pumps....

bricewise

Reaction score
yeah the pupms crap the bed....alot, so did/does my FASS, but that warranty card is inthere for a reason.... I hope that when you do install them in customers trucks that you give them the warranty information and insist that they fill it out and send it in. I know thats the first thing I did with my FASS, it went out a week after I had it installed and I have been thru 4 free pumps since..... there is a security deposit that has went down over the years to cover them incase someone doesnt return the pumps....

4 pumps?!?! gd ....do these aftermarket pumps really fail that often? Any other brands that cost a few more coins that last longer?

Mdub707

Reaction score
The Fass pumps and the AD pumps were never made to pull fuel from the tank and push it up to 65psi all in one shot, they work much better as lift pumps pulling fuel and sending it upstream at 10-15psi and feeding a separate high pressure pump. A member on the ORG did that with his AD2 after failing numerous times, just turned the pressure down and feeds a fuelab and no problems since. Airdog openly said this on the forum, they hate doing the Ford pumps for this reason.

Also saw a really cool setup that used a stock 6.4 fuel pump to feed to a stock 6.0 pump. The 6.4 is a low pressure unit stock and supposedly works awesome like that on the 6.0's. Cheap too.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Post this on Compd, the owner of airdog is on there bashing FASS and acting like his products were built by the hand of God. I run a airdog myself with no problems but I know plenty of people that have had issues.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Post this on Compd, the owner of airdog is on there bashing FASS and acting like his products were built by the hand of God. I run a airdog myself with no problems but I know plenty of people that have had issues.

I noticed that too, I have an AD200 on my 6.7L and its louder than ***. When I'm at events people stare at it like wtf is going on with that thing.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I've honestly seen more issues with FASS and AD pumps than I have seen with OEM lift pumps. And the nice thing about an OEM pump is they're easy to find in a pinch.

If I needed more fuel than the OEM pump would provide, I would use a pump/pumps from somebody who has been specializing in high performance fuel pumps for more than a decade and who isn't only focused on removing air from diesel fuel

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put this I just wanted to make a post somewhere so that if I may cost Air Dog at least one more customer and just that may make me feel better. After selling many of these pump systems and installing them myself with absolutely no headaches the Air Dog 165(which was my most suggested kit on basis of simplicity) on my personal truck dies. Just running down the road no warning(most of you know how fuel pumps change pitch etc when a problem is coming) just starts to lose power and the truck dies, so I coast to the side of the road check the gauge on my regulated return and no fuel pressure. This pump was installed early 2012 and has maybe 10-12k miles on it tops. Filters have been changed twice with Air dog replacements once for service, once because I did get bad fuel. So I call and talk to that dumb **** know nothing Josh in tech service and since I didn't fill out the warranty card nothing I can do except pay up and get a new pump. So that's exactly what I do. I received the pump last week and Saturday I have time to install which to you who are in the know is really nothing to do. But the new pump won't build suction, yes it runs, pumps are turning the correct direction (figure maybe it could be a crossed wire?), no leaks just will not prime. I won't go through everything I tried to get this pump working but suffice it to say I could have put one of my Weldon pumps on the truck made new lines and sumped the tank in the time I tried to get this damn thing going. My last ditch effort was to install my old pump again (which will build pressure just not maintain) and boom fuel pressure to the engine. So I put the new pump back on and the engine runs what it has from the pump forward out and again no fuel.. So I call today HOT about this unpleasant turn of events and am told by Josh I must have the orings wrong and the ball in the wrong spot. I assure him I do not and that I very much need yet another new pump so I can drive the truck and I want one over nighted. A service I'm told that I must pay for and if when they receive the pump it is indeed a failure I wouldn't be charged the second pump price (another 219). Gee mighty kind of you there pal. So now hopefully I may get something that works in return for my money and I can only hope it lasts longer than most people drive their trucks in a matter of months. What I'd like to do is throw the whole assembly through the front door of PureFlow in Shelbyville, IN (apparently where this was thoroughly tested before being shipped 4/22/13). But after all this time/money/trouble I'll settle for this rant and maybe just maybe having a fuel pump that works long enough for someone else to own it.. So hey anyone want a low use
un-reliable Air Dog? Didn't think so...

yep. ***ing junk. wont sell them anymore....

Layson

Reaction score
There was also an airdog guy over on powerstroke.org. He was fired during the thread when he was helping guys out... LOL

Pure Evil

Reaction score
**but that warranty card is in there for a reason**

I understand the warranty card scam. Fact of the matter is though when I gave them the serial number off the box/pump they knew when it was sold and I have the original receipt for purchase in any reputable company that would/should work you know for "their limited lifetime warranty" and all. And yes I have sold many of these things and have been sure to include all paper work in the glove boxes of customers trucks but honestly, No I have never really harped on the importance of filling out said card. Guess I thought it was a little more well-run company and for that and to any of my customers that may come across this thread and if the 30 days have passed and it's too late I apologize.. And yes I have installed a few of the A1000 pumps on the diesels as well and have yet to run into a problem with them. Although I didn't want one for continuous use on my truck because I did have issues with Aeromotive on a mustang a few years back. That said I switched to Weldon and have NEVER had a problem with any of their products. And I just happen to have an extra 2025A in the tool box and as soon as time permits it will be under my tow pig..

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
We've been having great success with the current FASS high pressure pumps, but when you compare the size of the electric motor on the FASS Titanium Series (125G+) to the one on the competitor, you will see why the current FASS isn't having all the problems making pressure. The motor doesn't have to work nearly as hard when it's larger in size. FASS also didn't screw up the regulator design and try to make an adjustable with more O-rings to fail and leak and cause pressure issues. They had their problems in the past, but the current stuff is working great for us.

I quit selling the other a while back, wouldn't take any more calls from stranded customers.

6.4stroke

yea I havent had really any problems with my airdog 165 on my 6.4. Only time I had a problem is when it was -7 degees out my truck completly died on me going up the road all I did was take the filter off and put it back on and it maggically runs good again plus the motor is not making a nice noise. Ive had a ok experence with airdog but I wouldn't recommend them hopefully switch to aeromotive sometime soon.

Awesome

Reaction score
same happened to my truck... it took pressuring the fuel tank to get the "new" pump primed then it was loud for about 3 days then it went away... been fine since... but took a wile to get it primed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.