Fuel leak somewhere...

d7es3l

Reaction score
There is a pretty significant leak in the valley of the truck I am looking at. What are some common leak areas around there? Is it one of the line at the back of the head? I only got a chance to look at it during the night. Going to look at it during the day tomorrow. This truck ran good & is solid. If I can get this leak fixed it is definitely getting bought! Any pointers/tips are appreciated! Thank you.

markfuga

Reaction score
Typically the short fuel lines between the bowl and pump dry rot and leak. When the pump is failing there is a weep hole on its underside that fuel leaks out. The Vibra-lok seal at the rear head fittings could also be the source of the leak. There's also a couple seals around the bowl that can form a leak.

If the fuel leak is the only issue you can find on the truck, I say buy it. Valley fuel leaks are the easiest thing to deal with.

Either:

A. Pull bowl, pump, rear lines and replace seals and pump (reasonably cheap)

B. Go to an e-fuel setup (my preference but typically $400+)

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
^ what he said. My bet is a dry rotted rubber hose under the bowl, or weep hole on the lift pump.

96OBS

Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about it. Anything in the valley that leaks is pretty cheap. I have a tiny leak coming from somewhere and ordered the fuel bowl reseal like a month ago but still haven't done it because its not bad enough right now. Knock on wood.

d7es3l

Reaction score
Well this leak seemed pretty steady so i don't know. The whole valley, turbo, VC's & intake is covered in dirt & diesel... The owner hasn't really washed his bay at all

d7es3l

Reaction score
Figured it out, The pump is leaking out of the weep hole. I am going to be replacing it later on this week. Where can i get a reliable pump (preferably stock)? Don't have money for efuel... Also, I don't want to break the lifter off and have it fall in to the pan... so any tips on that would be appreciated. Thank you!

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I bought one from autozone(new not reman, best one they had) Forget the brand name. Maybe dorman. Its been good for about 2 years now and my truck has seen 3500-4000 rpms several times. When you take it out, just be really careful. Mine came out like butter. Others have been known to act as if they are stuck. If that happens, dont try to yank it out. Just be patient. Removal of the fuel bowl makes it easier as well.

Bugman

Reaction score
Diesel O Rings has a new one and you can also get the new hoses from them also.

To get it out you might want to remove the filter housing but it doesn't have to come out it just makes it easier. You also need a 1 1/4" wrench for the banjo bolt. You may have to bend it a little depending on if you can get it onto the bolt or not with it being straight. To get the pump off without loosing the lifter all you have to do is once the bolts for the pump are off is to turn the engine over by hand and let the cam and lifter lift the pump up and off of its base.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.