Fuel pressure / filter change

Twinboys

Reaction score
Is there any need to change fuel filters if I have plenty of fuel pressure (even under full load) if I have a gauge to constantly monitor it?

Atsah

Reaction score
Every other oil change is when I changed both fuel filters on my 6.0's..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lmao, you don't want to wait til you see pressure drop. .. it'll be waaaay too late

Twinboys

Reaction score
Don't be an ass.

So if I see pressure drop from 65psi to 60 psi, how is that too late?

Atsah

Reaction score
It doesn't cost that much to replace them.. Just because you have good fuel pressure doesn't mean you are feeding your injectors clean fuel..

Twinboys

Reaction score
How could the fuel be any dirtier than when a filter is new? Do filters let more or larger particles through as they collect more dirt?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Honestly, the primary takes the brunt of the dirty ass fuel. When i had a stock pump, i would change the primary every other oil change, which was 10k, and i did both filters every other fuel filter change, so 20k. I had a bunch of primary filters laying around from changing pumps, so i wasnt buying fikters and only replacing one. However, as everyone else has said, it is cheap insurance to change them every other oil change. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than injectors cause some chit pushe thru the filters.

Twinboys

Reaction score
O.K. I have started writing a response to this several times, and each time, something else dawns on me. So, a dirty filter creates a higher pressure differential across the filter and increases the likelihood of chit being forced through it. does chit get pushed through an otherwise good filter because of this or would the pressure just drop?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would theorize, as it hasnt really happened to me, but i have seen massive pressure drops and injector failures on customers trucks at the same time, that it would be thre pressure differential scenario which would possibly cause that. However, that being said, you will likely see a drop in pressure, or a bouncing gauge. But keep in mind as well, that a dirty filter will cause excessive strain on the pump, thereby shortening its life as well. Also, with ulsd, as much lubrication, ie fuel, as possible fed to the injectors wlll help them live happy lives. Ulsd is not as much of a lubricant as lsd, which is why the 6.4 had so many injection pump issues, it has been theorized, as they only run 3-6 psi to thi hpfp.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Now I have it straight in my mind. I want to thank all of you for the discussion.

All I have seen up to this point is that injectors fail because of low fuel pressure, and the first thing to do when this happens is change filters. It seemed logical to me that if I monitored fuel pressure, I could prevent that without automatically changing filters every so many miles. I figured there was probably a reason to do so, but couldn't put my finger on it, so thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online