Fuel tank sending units...

freddie

Reaction score
Putting new front and rear tanks in, as well as troubleshooting fuel gauge problems. Pulled my sending units out..

When switched on the front tank, the gauge would instantly go to max full.
On the rear tank, the gauge would go empty. I assumed a cracked fuel float. I have yet to test the sending units with a multimeter but should have that done tonight.

The front float system needs replaced just due to the amount of rust. I see the Motorcraft PS19 as a possible option. Has anyone used this?
20160421_180156.jpg20160421_180204.jpg

I pulled the sending units from my Dana 60 donor truck (gas). I'm wondering if I could strip and adapt the gas sending units to work in my truck...? Or just use the gas rheostat on my diesel sending unit.
20160421_194532.jpg20160421_194540.jpg

Has anyone ever done any of this? I see there are also companies that rebuild the sending units but I have not got pricing.

MeTo

Reaction score
I know this is late, but?

I striped my entire stock fuel system and went with efuel. I modified my sender for a custom (60 gallon) taller fuel tank. If your fuel gauge indicates full all the time, the circuit is open or no resistance. I would check both the wire harness and the sender at each wire connector with a multi meter.

If the gauge reads empty all of the time, either there is a short (not to ground) which is bypassing the sender or is in the wire harness?

freddie

Reaction score
Thanks. I did find a company here in Ohio that rebuilt both sending units. Both work as they should now.

freddie

Reaction score
Andy Russell
330-813-0117
[email protected]

I googled him and found his site.
http://ajrussell001.wix.com/russell-rebuilds#!request-a-quote/c1b5

One of my sending units was bad as you can tell. Cost was $75 for him to sandblast the rust, replace the rheostat, replace the float and ship back to me. Not sure what else he did to it. He also fixed my other sending unit, but I believe the rheostat only needed cleaned up on it.

Both sending units work as they should. My gauge reads 1/8-1/4 past full when my tanks are full, and by the time I get to half tank on the gauge, it seems more like 1/3 tank left because it seems to go pretty quick. I'm not sure if its just a difference between Andy's rheostat's and the Ford OEM one, or maybe I just don't remember as clearly about how the Ford rheostat behaved.

I would use Andy again.

jschildm

Reaction score
Just as a quick note that seems appropriate for this topic, I recently fixed my front fuel tank sending unit. It started by just being really slow to respond, but ended up just staying all way down all the time. I assumed my float was full of diesel fuel, and was correct. I sourced a new plastic one pretty cheap online and it works good as new. Just some food for thought for people who's gauges read empty. I did test it when I pulled it out to verify the resistance changed as it should prior to putting it back in.

Latest posts

Members online