Gear Ratio help

rman

Reaction score
Hey all, 3 years into owning my 03 ive discovered my gears likely aren't stock. I'm guessing 4.10s or even 4.30s

2000 rpm
75mph (gps)
approx 77mph speedo
35" tires.

Sadly this also means my mileage is higher than the odometer. It also explains why my shifting isn't the best with most of my tunes.

Also, how can i check if my front is regeared? Count driveshaft turns vs wheel rotation?

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

rman

Reaction score
ok, playing with the gear ratio calculator, i couls be stock.

the real question is, why does my speedo show higher than actual speed, shouldn't it show lower woth bigger tires?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No, damn near all the programmers can adjust for tire revs per mile, also there are a bunch of aftermarket tire size foolers, like pro comps deal where it just plugs into the back of the cluster, or on an inline connector to the cluster and fools it for size.

rman

Reaction score
No, damn near all the programmers can adjust for tire revs per mile, also there are a bunch of aftermarket tire size foolers, like pro comps deal where it just plugs into the back of the cluster, or on an inline connector to the cluster and fools it for size.
i was told 03-04 could only be flashed at dealer, revs per mile is for transmission shifting only and not speedo calibration.

either TSD or WPE told me that, so I'm pretty sure it's credible.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
i was told 03-04 could only be flashed at dealer, revs per mile is for transmission shifting only and not speedo calibration.

either TSD or WPE told me that, so I'm pretty sure it's credible.

You were told wrong.

Anyone with the right tool can flash this. It isn't exclusive to the dealers. And the revs per mile is only for the speedo calibration, the transmission shifting couldn't care less, and is NOT affected by the revs per mile calibration.

rman

Reaction score
You were told wrong.

Anyone with the right tool can flash this. It isn't exclusive to the dealers. And the revs per mile is only for the speedo calibration, the transmission shifting couldn't care less, and is NOT affected by the revs per mile calibration.

would this be the ford tool or AE?

maybe i should have been more specific - i was told only 05-07 could be calibrated via. SCT.

so in my tunes, what exactly does the revs per mile affect?

diezelfreak

Reaction score
When I used a buddy's sct I'm pretty sure I could change my tire size on my 04. May be wrong it's been a while since I had the sct.

Sent from laying in bed

rman

Reaction score
When I used a buddy's sct I'm pretty sure I could change my tire size on my 04. May be wrong it's been a while since I had the sct.

Sent from laying in bed
on SCT canned tunes (or unlocked custom tunes) you can put in the revs per mile (tire size) but that doesn't calibrate the speedo

jake74

Reaction score
Just pull the diff cover and the tooth count should be stamped into the outer edge of the ring gear.

Latest posts

Members online