gearhead tunes...

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You drive around with the tc locked all the time?

I know good tunes, ie beans, will tune the tc to lock for max power. But I THINK they unlock the tc under shifts?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Problem with that theory is my trans usually wont crack 110* in the winter time with a 6.0 cooler. Unless I work it, let alone a long hwy drive it cools it off below 100*.

I have my TC unlock only on a downshift. I have no idea why you would unlock on an upshift. That video is odd, seems like it didnt lock until 60MPH+.... OD light flash at all ? Does it act differently in other tunes ?

ghohouston

Reaction score
o/d light has not flashed since i installed the new bts, it was flashing before, no tranny codes either, like i said, brand new pi converter, and brand new bts, it seems to act this way in other tunes too, but this vid was in my all out tune (6) which like stated, is my dd tune

Gearhead

Reaction score
Matt, my converter doesn't lock until fluid is up to temp either. Is there a way for you to change that, so it locks up even when cold. If so, why not have it lock even while cold? (I have your tunes also)

Rich

That's the way the factory does it to build heat faster. Trans fluid needs to be somewhat warm for proper trans operation.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Cold fluid is hard on the trans. Beating on it when cold is a double edge sword. On one hand, the converter will slip because electronically it wont lock. On the other hand, besides five other fingers, the slipping converter will.generate so much heat that the fluid will become hot quick. Stock tuning will keep ya in 3rd, iirc, and unlocked at highway speeds. With "most" tuning it seems that you can get into.4th but.still no lock until the.fluid is warmed.

Matt, are the available tunes.for.trucks with upgraded injectors, turbo, and oil still the same? In other words, does a stock, tow, daily driver, econ, race,etc.tune ztill.exist? Or are tunes more user influenced?

I try to keep the tune spread from stockish to max power with some in between.

bigfords

Reaction score
Cold fluid is hard on the trans. Beating on it when cold is a double edge sword. On one hand, the converter will slip because electronically it wont lock. On the other hand, besides five other fingers, the slipping converter will.generate so much heat that the fluid will become hot quick. Stock tuning will keep ya in 3rd, iirc, and unlocked at highway speeds. With "most" tuning it seems that you can get into.4th but.still no lock until the.fluid is warmed.

My old truck, (with a different tuner) did not have the trans warm-up strategy and would lock the converter even while cold. I did have a somewhat built up tranny in that truck and better converter, not sure if that made a different tuning wise though. The truck was a 99.5.

Its not too big a deal to me, I just feel like I'm really drinking the fuel while cruising down the highway with the converter unlocked.

5ninef250

Reaction score
Is that an ABS light on? Looks to me like all the shifts happen with converter lock around 60 and OD right after that. Where would you like your shifts to occur?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Problem with that theory is my trans usually wont crack 110* in the winter time with a 6.0 cooler. Unless I work it, let alone a long hwy drive it cools it off below 100*.

I have my TC unlock only on a downshift. I have no idea why you would unlock on an upshift. That video is odd, seems like it didnt lock until 60MPH+.... OD light flash at all ? Does it act differently in other tunes ?

I've heard you need to unlock the tc under upshifts because it can start destroying stuff from the power and the delivery of the power Is violent?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I've heard you need to unlock the tc under upshifts because it can start destroying stuff from the power and the delivery of the power Is violent?

Problem with that is my truck goes through the rpm range to fast, so I lock in 3rd and then shift into od, if I went WOT it would come into OD and unlock and the lock back up, it would probably hit the rev limiter.
As well as my lockup table in OD is always locked, it will shift before it unlocks. So on my 3-4 shift it would go 3rd locked into OD unlock and then instantly lock back up. Just seems pointless.
Unlocking on a downshift, yes is a must as that is very hard on the trans.

Last edited:

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So upshifts @ wot aren't bad w/ the tc locked, but downshifts it needs unlocked... Good to know :D

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Mines holding gears way to long as well. With only the slightest of throttle input 1st to 2nd will rev out to 2500rpm same with 2nd to 3rd. I have a performance trans from JW. To be fair I have been talking to Matt and we are going to sort it out in the new year after I get her on the dyno.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Mines holding gears way to long as well. With only the slightest of throttle input 1st to 2nd will rev out to 2500rpm same with 2nd to 3rd. I have a performance trans from JW. To be fair I have been talking to Matt and we are going to sort it out in the new year after I get her on the dyno.

I may have to drive down there and have him dyno tune it....

02BigD

Reaction score
That video posted earlier has me scratching my head. Never would've guessed that was anything more than a stock injector truck with a toon.

Fwiw, the way Matt setup the shifts, my truck runs the gears out higher than 2500. I've never thought anything about it because it does a great job of lighting the turbo, being smoke free, and staying on the turbo through partial throttle shifts. Maybe because it's a "built" motor?

Latest posts

Members online