Glow Plugs on a 97

bigwheel

Reaction score
I am thinking about helping a friend install glow plugs in his 97 PSD. The truck is having a hard time starting even when it is in the 50's outside. They have never been done in this truck. We were going to install all 8 new and do the relay at the same time. Is there an thing that I should maybe condiser replacing or any helpfull advice? I have done glow plugs on a 2000 so they should be the same for the most part.
Thanks

Reaction score
Check the pins on the external wiring harness, the valve cover pins, and the under-valvecover harnesses for evidence of melting/burning. If any are burned, relace the UVCH or external pigtail as applicable AND the gasket. I like the Stancor (now White-Rodgers) 586-902 relay for a replacement. Cheers!

JD3020

Reaction score
You sure the rest of the engine is in good mechanical/electrical shape? This morning it was 45-50*, and i didn't even wait for the WTS light to go out and my truck fired up instantly.

Our old worn out 3020 Deere has no cold stating provisions and starts fine down to about 40*, thats when we get the block heater ready or carry a can of ether on the tractor.

bigwheel

Reaction score
Thanks, No we are not a 100% sure that there are no other problems at this time. If the truck is pluged in it will start up through out the winter, just not on its own right now. That is why we were thinking about going ahead and replacing the GL and relay just since its never been done before.

jschildm

Reaction score
I would say there is a good chance its glow plugs. Like Patrick said, if you are doing the glow plugs I would look very closely at the UVCH's, valve cover gasket/harness, and external plugs that hook to it. If you have bad glow plugs there is a pretty good chance that some combination of those have melted.

Paul@CP_Trucks

Reaction score
I am thinking about helping a friend install glow plugs in his 97 PSD. The truck is having a hard time starting even when it is in the 50's outside. They have never been done in this truck. We were going to install all 8 new and do the relay at the same time. Is there an thing that I should maybe condiser replacing or any helpfull advice? I have done glow plugs on a 2000 so they should be the same for the most part.
Thanks

Salesman pitch here but if your going to be doing relay and plugs we have a package deal with the upgraded relay and Motorcraft plugs.

old man dave

Reaction score
You may want to consider the Western Plow 56131. Some have posted its between the stocker and the White-Rogers in capability but costs under $20. The White-Rogers 586-902 can be found for around $50. (McMaster-Carr)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online