Guys with stacks...

6speedsd

Reaction score
I don't really know why, but here lately I'm wanting to change some things on the dually, and I just love how stacks look on a drw truck. My buddy has a set of 6" shotgun style he made that he wants me to put on mine. However, my concern is noise in cab. This thing is loud enough at times with the straight pipe. Windows up, not bad at all, but with them down, and especially towing, it's gets obnoxious at times. Just me in the truck, I could care less. However, my kids ride in the back seat often, and being as it'd be right behind one of their heads, I'm scared it'll be too much. So let's hear it...plenty of you guys run them...how bad is it inside on a crewcab truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its pretty dam bad. Ive got a 4 into 6 in single, its bearable unloaded, but hook a fifth wheel to it, and my boy is covering his head with a pillow, and you cant talk to anyone. That is with all the windows up.

Reaction score
My boss had a set on his old twelve valve. They stopped just before the roof line and he said it echoed off the cab and was incredibly loud. He said if he would do it again he would have the stacks clear the cab just slightly so as not to echo. He also runs two 4500 top kicks with 6.6 cats both running stacks hauling loaded service bodies and the stacks clear the cab and I can have a full on conversation with the other guy without issue.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I rode in my buddies 7.3 when he had those stacks on it, and it wasnt bad at all, but a straight piped 7.3 and a straight piped 6.0 aren't the same animal. I'm more worried about drone honestly.

Downey

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I have 4 in duals out the back corners on my truck and with the 5th wheel hooked up the drone gets annoying.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea it's starting to sound like a not so good idea to me already. Lol. I'm just bored with the look as it sits now, but there's only so much you can do with a 2wd drw truck.

Downey

Reaction score
There is a dually running around here with a side pipe. It comes out near the front door then runs down body edge and comes out infront of rear tire and looks bad ass

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Its pretty dam bad. Ive got a 4 into 6 in single, its bearable unloaded, but hook a fifth wheel to it, and my boy is covering his head with a pillow, and you cant talk to anyone. That is with all the windows up.

nothing like damaging your child's hearing, amirite!? :thumbsup:

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I've been in a handful of 6.0s with stacks. As long as the tip is slightly above the cab then it's more tolerable.
Regular cab-4dr trucks were very easy to have conversations in the cab with minimal drone

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Maybe thats my issue. The tip is level with the top of the window. I didnt like how high other people had them sticking up, so maybe if its higher it wont be too bad :shrug:

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
On my dodge the very highest point of the miter tip is 1" above the cab. It took me almost an hour of measuring/driving/adjusting to get to a point where is was suitable for me
IMG_0184_zps215c5543.jpg

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Put a FTE resonator on it, made my 5" exhaust sound almost stock
I think I'm going to order the 17" resonator because this 30" is so quiet..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Don't do it.

I've run nearly every type of exhaust setup, including just a downpipe temporarily. That was quieter than my stacks.

With a stock turbo, it's not too bad. It's really noisy when you stomp on it, but once you're cruising in overdrive, it's stockish quiet. Really not bad. So if you drive unloaded all the time, it's doable. If you tow, forget it.

Since I've gone to a non VGT setup, this thing is just loud ALL THE TIME. Ridiculously loud. When towing our camper, I can't hear my passenger speak until we get to the camp ground, or we are at a stop light.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I thought about putting an electric cutout on the stack, and running a y-pipe with a section of pipe back dumped over the axle. When it was just me, open the cutout and exhaust out the stack. Kids inside or towing, closed and out the tailpipe. Might be more of a headache than its worth though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

slowcoupe

Reaction score
:whs: Have you looked at the price of a 5" electric cutout?

I was going to run one on my RCSB truck and quickly shut down that idea.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.