H&S restarted half way through install!!

Randy_270

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago me and a coworker/buddy were going to install an H&S Mini Maxx and 5" exhaust on his 08 6.4. Half ways through loading the tune onto his truck the Mini Maxx just restarted. Ok we tried to once more and same thing, Mini Maxx restarted half way through. My buddy got a hold of H&S, sent them his tuner, they fixed it and sent it back. So round two, we go plug in the Mini and it starts up, everythings fine, but thats all the Mini Maxx does. Its starts up and freezes right away on the gauges screen. Tried 3 times, updated the tuner, tried a 4th time and samething, Mini Maxx starts up and loads to the gauges screen and thats all it does. So now his truck has been sitting for a little over 2 weeks without being able to be started. Nearest Ford dealership is 3 hours away, and no other shops in town that could reflash his computer. Sooo my big question is, I have an old Superchips Flashpaq from my F150 sitting around that has tunes for the gas and diesel trucks. So does anyone think that I could plug in the Superchips and it would work or because there is nothing on the trucks computer the Superchips tuner wont read the truck and wont load on a tune?? I'm not very good when it comes to this kind of stuff so forgive me if you think I'm asking a dumb question. I'm not a fan of Superchips on diesels but we just need something so he can bring it to the dealership and have the truck reflashed. Any ideas will be helpful!! Thanks.

RedRice589

Reaction score
No man it won't. I'm pretty positive that they don't have any capabilities to do that. It is strange I've swapped trucks and tuners 3 times and never a problem maybe try replacing the Hemingway cord with a new one.

Randy_270

Reaction score
No man it won't. I'm pretty positive that they don't have any capabilities to do that. It is strange I've swapped trucks and tuners 3 times and never a problem maybe try replacing the Hemingway cord with a new one.

Could you expand on the bolded part please? I'm not sure to what you are refering to in the bolded part, and which part is the Hemingway cord? Is that the part that plugs into the obd2 port? Thanks

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I think he is stating the superchips doesn't tune for offroad tuning. Also, the truck is still currently not tuned?

RedRice589

Reaction score
Oops sorry stupid iPad and yes I am referring to the super chips I don't think they can tune that much. And I meant HDMI because that's the cord that you use to go from the OBD2 to the mini Maxx I believe.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Oh we still have the stock exhaust on the truck, we were gonna tune it first then do the exhaust but we never got that far due to the tuning going sour.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Yeah he turned the Mini Maxx on with the key in the off position and cycled the key to the run position, and tried turning the Mini Maxx on with the key in the run position.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Did you ever try reloading the stock tune?

We did during our first try to tune the truck, but the Mini Maxx would reset every few minutes no matter what, even if we never touched it and just left it idle. During our second try this past afternoon the tuner just wouldn't let us do anything.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
i dont get why the truck wont start, if you were never able to succefully load a tune on the truck from the mini max then the stock tuning is still on the truck

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
i dont get why the truck wont start, if you were never able to succefully load a tune on the truck from the mini max then the stock tuning is still on the truck

No the first thing the tuner does is pull the stock file off the truck. And if the mini maxx is cutting off halfway through it probably only half way loaded the new tune. So how the truck has no stock tune and half of an aftermarket one.

Randy_270

Reaction score
are the batteries up to charge in the truck?

He had a battery tender on it

Another reason why it wont start is the anti-theft light on the dash is flashing as soon as you put the key in it.

No the first thing the tuner does is pull the stock file off the truck. And if the mini maxx is cutting off halfway through it probably only half way loaded the new tune. So how the truck has no stock tune and half of an aftermarket one.

Yes, well we were trying to load the stock tune back on last so its got half a stock tune on

I think I might just bring my Superchips tuner to work and see if my co-worker wants to try it... Whats the worst that can happen, it wont start??LOL

JMart

Reaction score
If its an old superchips, it probably doesnt even have the capabilities to communicate with the CAN system.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Right now my coworker is on days and I'm on evenings so I don't have the full details on this but he just sent me a text saying "Tech support was able to get my truck running" and that's all he said. I go in to work at 3pm central time and he is there till 4:20 so Ill get the full details from him then. Just so everyone is clear we don't blame H&S for any of these problems we blame the tuner itself for being faulty, H&S has been very helpful to my friend with getting his tuner fixed asap (we live in northing Manitoba, Canada so it was a long wait for shipping). Oh and thanks everyone for your help!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online