hard start, no smoke

obs7.3

Reaction score
couldn't find much that replicates my current issue...
a guy at work has a bone stock 2000 sd. earlier this week it started cranking way longer before firing (15 sec. or so). the gpr has power on both sides, and there is no smoke when its cranking or when it fires. from what I've seen, with bad or inop glow plugs there's usually white smoke and with sticky injectors there's usually black smoke upon firing.
im not too sure where to turn to next and I don't wanna make the guy throw parts at it and not fix it. i'm wondering if the hpop is getting weak or if the fpr is faulty... but i'm not an expert.
any suggestions appreciated.

MoonShiner

Reaction score
My '02 took a long time to crank when the HPOP was weak, but it was weak enough to set a CEL when you went WOT. I hooked it up to AE and the pressure was only going to about 1400-1600 psi......replaced the HPOP....problem solved.

Now, this is only one possibility...it could be something else.

obs7.3

Reaction score
My '02 took a long time to crank when the HPOP was weak, but it was weak enough to set a CEL when you went WOT. I hooked it up to AE and the pressure was only going to about 1400-1600 psi......replaced the HPOP....problem solved.

Now, this is only one possibility...it could be something else.

yeah, too many things for one issue lol. but he doesn't have a CEL so i cant say one way or another. it's just strange to me. im going to print a glow plug volt/ohms test for him to try to mess with tonight.

obs7.3

Reaction score
Just so I'm understanding correctly, the lpop keeps oil in the hpop and if the hpop is low then the lpop could be letting oil slip by?

obs7.3

Reaction score
Not necessarily. . Could be check valve, injector, front cover worn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sorry I should have added this earlier, the truck has 110k miles.... Could the front cover be worn already? I'm not doubting your input, just trying to learn as I go.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
The res is the high spot, the fact that it will start with long cranks makes me think lpop is not bad, that it is just having to fill the res.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

obs7.3

Reaction score
Just checked the res and its full... Moving on to a fuel issue possibly..

MoonShiner

Reaction score
Sticky or worn IPR? Did you check to see if the nut was tight on the back of the IPR?
On my '02 it had fallen off and was down in the valley. I put it back on and hoped for the best. No dice......still had to replace the HPOP and put on a new IPR too.

obs7.3

Reaction score
these will run without fuel pressure... keep on oil side of things. what is the cranking psi and duty cycle

I have no idea. I don't have a way to check it at work nor do I have the tools to bring from home to check it. I know its hard telling where to go from here without knowing psi. I'm gonna make some calls to friends to see if anyone has some stuff I can borrow to check it

obs7.3

Reaction score
Sticky or worn IPR? Did you check to see if the nut was tight on the back of the IPR?
On my '02 it had fallen off and was down in the valley. I put it back on and hoped for the best. No dice......still had to replace the HPOP and put on a new IPR too.

Gonna check when we get off... He said he checked and it was fine but he's not too mechanically inclined with vehicles

obs7.3

Reaction score
Ended up being a fuel filter. I asked him Friday when we left work and he said he hasn't put a new one in since he owned the truck. Changed it over the weekend and problem solved. I could've hit him in the head

TARM

Reaction score
well he might also be looking at new injectors down the road as well. A fuel filter so clogged that it does not allow a engine to start means its getting almost no fuel when the demand goes up such as heavy throttle situations. The fuel is what lubricates the cylinder and plunger. Basically no fuel pressure means galling and shot injectors and it may mean that they do not even qualify and viable returns for rebuild.

Maybe he is lucky and its not done damage. But going forward at a minimum change the fuel filter every 2 oil changes as long as they are not more than every 5K. i.e fuel filter ever 10K. Also do not use the crap NAPA/WIX sells. Best is Donaldson next is the Racor that is also OEM along with Baldwin etc. Hate to think how often he doesn't change his trans fluid LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.