Having problems with rocker/push rod and maybe lifter? push rod keeps bending

444getsitdone

Reaction score
I took the driver’s side valve cover to check out the rockers and I only took out #2 intake and #8 intake both were in good shape and I put them both back in and then turn it over without it starting and it made this thumping noise coming from #8 cylinder like if you bang a balloon against your hand. So today I took off the valve cover again and the #8 intake push rod was bent, I straitened it out the best I could so it would hopefully work till I could get a new one, so I put it back in and unlike last time I put cylinder 8 at TDC after I put it in I hand cranked the engine about 2-3 times around just to make everything was ok so I took off the rocker and the push rod was bent again it’s like the lifter won’t go down enough and then I guess the piston it pushing against the valve bending the push rod, I don’t think the valve is bent. I just don’t get what’s happening #2 rocker and push rod are fine. Thanks you guys.

blackie375

Reaction score
sounds like stuck valve,tap on end of valve with hammer gently,should spring back

444getsitdone

Reaction score
sounds like stuck valve,tap on end of valve with hammer gently,should spring back

Ok I taped on the valve and it sprung back, so I tried putting back the the push rod and rocker and I hand turned the engine about a full turn then I looked at the push rod and it was bent again, how much weaker is the push rod once it i bent? ya think it just keeps bending because it's weak? and if I get a new push rod will all be well?

Last edited:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
once they bend they should be scrapped, you may have a weak valve spring but this problem usually comes from too thick of oil and excessive rpm

02BigD

Reaction score
Once it's been bent, the rod lost it's strength. The resistance in the valve spring is now greater than the rod can handle and it's going to keep bending.

Reaction score
Are you sure that the push rod is getting seated into the lifter. It sounds like the first time it may have been up on the side of the lifter.
And yes, scrap the push rod, it is junk.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

444getsitdone

Reaction score
POWERSTRUCK said:
once they bend they should be scrapped, you may have a weak valve spring but this problem usually comes from too thick of oil and excessive rpm
I think it's more because I was a moron and put it in wrong.
02BigD said:
Once it's been bent, the rod lost it's strength. The resistance in the valve spring is now greater than the rod can handle and it's going to keep bending.
Ok thats why it's keeps bending.
Sleadpull said:
Are you sure that the push rod is getting seated into the lifter. It sounds like the first time it may have been up on the side of the lifter.
And yes, scrap the push rod, it is junk.
I think you nailed it! ok guys I will be very careful the next time I put it in, I've been wanting for my push rods for 4 days (will get them tomorrow). The push rod I'm pretty sure was good when I took it out I just put it in wrong and panicked. Thank you guys for helping me out with founding the problem (me), and the solution (new push rod).

Reaction score
No problem, we are all glad to help! Im glad that you didn't get all defensive when we gave you some ideas. Refreshing when that happens for a change.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

444getsitdone

Reaction score
Ok guys I got the the push rods today and carefully put it in and fired her up, having a little clicking which was already there, so everything seems to be good. And yes I try not to get all defensive when I'm in the wrong, and I will not be afraid to ask for help. Thank you guys very much for your help.

Copracr

Reaction score
I just did the same thing last fall. I pulled one out to get a compression tester in there and then when I put it back in it wasn't seated in the lifter quite right and it bent. Those pushrods are easy to bend even by hand so they have to be absolutely straight or they're just gonna bend again.

Good news is I bought 2 from rock auto for 6 bucks shipped.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
I just did the same thing last fall. I pulled one out to get a compression tester in there and then when I put it back in it wasn't seated in the lifter quite right and it bent. Those pushrods are easy to bend even by hand so they have to be absolutely straight or they're just gonna bend again.

Good news is I bought 2 from rock auto for 6 bucks shipped.

Thank you, now I don't feel quite as stupid :clapping:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.