Head gasket replacement

jake74

Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 4door fx4 lariat. It has 89,000 miles on it and looks showroom new. It had an egr cooler go bad so previous owner did ****** but head gaskets also went so he parked it. It had been sitting for a year when I bought it.
I got it home and cranked it. It was missing on about 4 cylinders but after running it fOr a while it started hitting on all but #5 it's throwing an injector code.
I got the cab ready to lift off tonight and will be raising it with my lift tomorrow night and had some questions.
1. Should I replace all the injectors? If so what brand and where should I buy them?
2. Which head studs and gaskets? Best place to buy?
3. What else should I update or replace while I'm in the motor?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Use factory head gaskets. I put arp studs in, it now has the custom age 625 after blowing aftermarket gaskets with the standard arps. I put the stronger one in so i didnt have to do it again, but you'd probably be fine with factory gaskets and standard studs. Done hundreds of those with no issues. It just had to be my truck that was ***ked up.

Id put an oil cooler in, again a factory one, and a coolant filter.

As far as injectors, the aftermarket shop i'm dealing with swears by warren or holder's. Warren has the pkus side of changing the spool valves out. I just put holders in mine, so i really aint got a testimonial yet as its only got about 2 weeks on them.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Use factory head gaskets. I put arp studs in, it now has the custom age 625 after blowing aftermarket gaskets with the standard arps. I put the stronger one in so i didnt have to do it again, but you'd probably be fine with factory gaskets and standard studs. Done hundreds of those with no issues. It just had to be my truck that was ***ked up.

Id put an oil cooler in, again a factory one, and a coolant filter.

As far as injectors, the aftermarket shop i'm dealing with swears by warren or holder's. Warren has the pkus side of changing the spool valves out. I just put holders in mine, so i really aint got a testimonial yet as its only got about 2 weeks on them.

What torque did you use on your first stud job with the ARPs? What gasket did you use?

jake74

Reaction score
I'm new to the 6.0 always had dodges. What vendor would y'all recommend for all the parts I need?

jake74

Reaction score
Cab off. Going to start tearing into it tomorrow night.
image_zpsopwaxi3s.jpg

image_zps5d83ulx5.jpg

image_zps8hs5y9rw.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Does anyone else lift at the step bars like that? :poke:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What torque did you use on your first stud job with the ARPs? What gasket did you use?

I went to 210, the gaskets were performance machine titanium gaskets cause they said they had a lifetime warranty, i was wrong...

All the head jobs i do at the shop get factory gaskets

jake74

Reaction score
It not only works but works well. Kidding aside what you can't see is the steps are held on with thick metal brackets that bolt to the inner rocker with good quality hardware.The lift pads are under the brackets not on the step tube itself.

webb06

Reaction score
It not only works but works well. Kidding aside what you can't see is the steps are held on with thick metal brackets that bolt to the inner rocker with good quality hardware.The lift pads are under the brackets not on the step tube itself.

We're well aware of how the steps are fastened onto the trucks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
buying new oem parts such as oil cooler,injectors,gaskets,etc. from tousley ford. They seem to have the best prices by far. I will get the studs from a site sponsor.

pdumont01

Reaction score
When I started doing them the torque used to be 249ft/lbs why did they lower the torque?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
When I started doing them the torque used to be 249ft/lbs why did they lower the torque?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The lube changed a few years ago. They lowered the torque at the same time I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have lifted by the board numerous times without ever having 1 single issue. I wouldn't even consider it to be borderline. Works well, saves time, and allows tall guys more room under the cab to work.

Although without having the height extensions on all of our lifts I could see it making it shorter because you would hit the stop point sooner. We don't have that issue with 30' ceilings.

mandkole

Reaction score
you guys are ballers in your shop Derek..LOL One of the nicer shops around. looking good!

jake74

Reaction score
It's all apart. Heads off to machine shop tomorrow. It's all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. Going to do new oem injectors,oem oil cooler,oem head gaskets,all oem seals and gaskets,stc update,arp's,clean turbo,dummy plugs. Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

image_zpsxt8ntl2u.jpg

image_zps4wgplkuv.jpg

image_zpsb0z5p7hv.jpg

image_zpskeqhlysx.jpg

Oil cooler ready to be disassembled for new oil cooler and resealed.
URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/user/jake744/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscxqqljpg.jpeg.html]
image_zpscxqqljpg.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts

Members online