Head Gaskets

greyford1979

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the lifters while I'm there as well. I'm assuming oem on those as well, or is there a better alternative?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the lifters while I'm there as well. I'm assuming oem on those as well, or is there a better alternative?
most use oem... I think it is sideaction diesel that has some that are aftermarket.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

greyford1979

Reaction score
most use oem... I think it is sideaction diesel that has some that are aftermarket.

live life full throttle

Gotcha and thanks. I'll probably just get the stockers then, along with the head and manifold gaskets, especially since I have the hook up through work. Already checked out head stud prices and getting ready to order them. Just hoping for no surprises when I pull the heads lol.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Gotcha and thanks. I'll probably just get the stockers, along with the head and manifold gaskets, especially since I have the hook up through work. Already checked out head stud prices and getting ready to order them.
perfect!

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Got some of it tore down tonight. I have a bent pushrod as well lol. Good thing I have new Smith Brothers push rods sitting here.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Got some of it tore down tonight. I have a bent pushrod as well lol. Good thing I have new Smith Brothers push rods sitting here.
while heads are off, check piston hight to make sure you don't have a bent connecting rod. when my gaskets blew in the dually, I ended up with 2 bent rods. not sure if it did it then or from the cam gear dancing around doing the jig with the cps..

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
while heads are off, check piston hight to make sure you don't have a bent connecting rod. when my gaskets blew in the dually, I ended up with 2 bent rods. not sure if it did it then or from the cam gear dancing around doing the jig with the cps..

live life full throttle

You must have been reading my mind lol. I was thinking that last night. Hopefully I'll be able to get them off by this weekend. I just have a few more things to take off and they'll be ready. Gotta get a hold of the machine shop as well.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well she's all ready for the heads to come off. Finished getting everything out of the way today and got the head bolts out. Just hoping I don't have to pull the bumper off. Straight on my engine hoist won't reach them because of how far the Ranchhand sticks out hand how tall it is. Gonna try it at an angle, think I should be able to get it that way without pulling the bumper.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well of course the side the head gasket blew came right off, other side not so much. Checked multiple times to make sure no head bolts left, went around the edges with a putty knife to try to loosen. Guessing it's really frozen up on the guide pins on the block. It's lifting the whole front end. Giving up for today :doh:.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well of course the side the head gasket blew came right off, other side not so much. Checked multiple times to make sure no head bolts left, went around the edges with a putty knife to try to loosen. Guessing it's really frozen up on the guide pins on the block. It's lifting the whole front end. Giving up for today :doh:.

Whack the **** out of the head with a heavy rubber mallet. Or put a pry bar in the lifting eye and get creative.

Arisley

Reaction score
The heads are interchangeable. Count how many head bolts you have out. If it's an odd number, there is one still in the head. Count how many head bolt holes there are in the block that has no head. Multiply by two. If that is how many head bolts you have, they are all out. If not, keep looking.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Whack the **** out of the head with a heavy rubber mallet. Or put a pry bar in the lifting eye and get creative.

Yep, smacked it good with my heavy duty mallet. It just laughed at me and split my mallet :doh:.

The heads are interchangeable. Count how many head bolts you have out. If it's an odd number, there is one still in the head. Count how many head bolt holes there are in the block that has no head. Multiply by two. If that is how many head bolts you have, they are all out. If not, keep looking.

Got all the bolts, gonna try again tomorrow after work. Cussed at it enough today LOL.

greyford1979

Reaction score
You can see in the second pic a very slight marking on the piston in #4 where I had some valve contact. That's where the bent push rod came from. Other than that, at just a quick glance the pistons look fine. No cracks or anything like that.
33381176292_2172a1f22a_z.jpg
IMG_20170319_113138929 by greyford79, on Flickr
33381174112_c4e2d8ecdb_z.jpg
IMG_20170319_113219979_HDR by greyford79, on Flickr

greyford1979

Reaction score
Success! Other head is off. Still a ton of gasket material left on that side, oh joy lol. Driver's side head is torn down, got all the exhaust manifold bolts out with any breaking off in the head on that side. Just gotta get the one on the other side off, and off to the machine shop they go. While the heads are gone, I'll clean up the block, check piston height, replace lifters, and replace the oil cooler.

Latest posts

Members online