HELP!! Broken ignition!

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Stuck in the parking lot of a mall.. put key in ignition, turned it and lights came on, but something went 'pop' in the steering column and now the key just spins in the ignition.. i've got power but can't start the truck or even shut off the running lights for that matter. Had to unhook the battery. Is there any way to bypass the key to start the truck if I've got the steering column apart? Any help appreciated!!!

truck is an e99 7.3

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, thanks.. just me by myself and the mall is closed, but maybe I can wing it to see. Thanks for the quick reply!

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Next question... there is a parts store just across the way, just bought a new ignition and key, any idea how to remove the old one? I have the steering column plastics off, but I don't see where/how to get the old ignition out?

ghohouston

Reaction score
With both black trim pieces around the column removed ( 3 Phillips head screws), and the key in the most forward position without cranking, look on the bottom of the column. You will see the rounded part of the column (the ignition housing). On the bottom of the rounded part (underside of column), there is a small hole, that has a small locking metal ball (looks like a bb) inside. You need to press it in with a dental pic, test light, or whatever will fit, and simotaneously pull out, towards the passenger side on the whole ignition/key. It may take a bit of wiggling to come out.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and help everyone. Problem solved. The ignition cylinder has a rectangular made to wear part at the end of the unit that broke off flush in the steering column. Bit of a pita but mission accomplished. Made it home... always appreciate the help I get from PSA.. Thanks again all!

Latest posts

Members online