Help on decision!

a_moore

Reaction score
I am in a real pickle. Truck broke down in Alabama a few weeks ago; overheat and puking.

Towed to Ford and went on my long road trip. They called and needed headgaskets and recommended studs. I agreed and they started, would be in about $7,000.

Got these pics today of all pistons on right side cracked. I don't know what to do, long block or rebuild.

I would have to ship whole truck back here and get into it.

What would you do?:doh:

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 170
  • imagejpeg_0s.jpg
    imagejpeg_0s.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 151

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'd pull the pistons and have the block checked at least. No reason for a long block unless needed. If the block is good, just upgrade pistons, replace bearings, and rods (if wanting to upgrade) and re assemble with it studded and do some valvetrain upgrade (springs, retainers, push rods, and new lifters). Let me know if you need some pricing :thumbsup:

a_moore

Reaction score
Depends on a few things.
Miles on the truck? 225K
Do you have warranty? No
How deep are your pockets? Not...

Final price from Ford out door new long block and high pressure fuel pump $17,000. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Truck is deleted, so I am not sure if the warranty would apply.

a_moore

Reaction score
Now its all apart, so they are gonna kill me in labor just getting it back to shippable piece.

Its days like this I just want to give up.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Tell them to throw it all in the bed and trailer it to Morgan. No way in heck would I pay 17k without letting one of these aftermarket guys building 10x better than what that dealer would do....seriously for that price get it to one of theses aftermarket guys... You can have a solid motor with better parts outa a vender here

alradco

Reaction score
If you're going to spend 17k might as well have a motor built by a reputable shop. I'd pull the truck out.

Stroked777

Reaction score
tell them you will pick up the pieces and bring it to a reputable shop, you will save money in two ways, the motor will be cheaper than 17k to build and two it will already be apart so you will save labor at the shop you bring it to LOL

B585Ford

Reaction score
Shipping probably wont be as bad as you think if you look at the right venues.. I would have towed to a reputable place and have them fix it. PM me if you want help finding shipping.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Agree with everyone's post. Take it to an aftermarket shop like Midwest or River City and let those guys build you the motor. If no warranty on the truck, I wouldn't let the dealer do it. Best of luck!

a_moore

Reaction score
Think ill pull it back to my shop and buy stage one longblock with new heads and ceramic pistons. Stage one cam and all stock fuel as it is more than I need for power. Might try the new borgs out (efr series).

a_moore

Reaction score
More advice,

Ceramic pistons
Head studs
Main studs
Stock fuel
S360/S475

Thoughts on this setup? Good dd and tow rig?

Can this hit 600rwhp? Or what can I expect with stock fuel.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Sucks to hear Andy..! but very common. Rebuilds at Ford are always approaching the 20K range.

It won't be "cheap" no matter which way you go. You'll end up with 15K in it regardless, but like others said, I wouldn't let ford do it. It for sure needs at least upgraded and coated pistons and they probably won't want to install them. On top of many other things they probably won't do.

a_moore

Reaction score
So far not bad. Heads good, crank and all good.

Doing bottom end and coated pistons pending bore check tomorrow for sizing. Still want to try out 366/472 but dont know if time will allow.

Is a stg 1 cam worth money for dd/tow truck?

Finally got caught up to work on it.

Attachments

• 20141106_134155.jpg
    20141106_134155.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20141106_153657.jpg
    20141106_153657.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

a_moore

Reaction score
Looked long and hard at this. Also the dt swap.

This non egr maxxforce 7 is very interesting. Like the bolt on single setup for one thing.

Attachments

• $_3.jpg
    $_3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 67

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i have a dd/tow truck with a cam.

at one time, i did delipped pistons, dropped one point of compression, valve train upgrade, a 71/59 which i now have 75/59, and a cam. really nothing i would say was a performance upgrade. what i would consider standard reliability mods.

right now with the 75/59, it lights easily faster than stock cuz we spec'd the cam to spool the turbo's harder faster.

that was my requirement for a cam. i dont care bout upper rpm power, i want it to light the turbo's faster and have more low/mid rpm power.

this is on 100% stock fuel, with a gearhead custom tune.

and i'm currently plowing snow with it and have noticed no lag, or lack of response from either the motor or the turbo's compared to the bone stock 2010 f-450 i also plow snow with, except it's more fun to play in when you pull out of a driveway and want to get fishy.

i would also venture to say, based on those two trucks, that my 350 responds faster with the larger turbo's than the 450 with stock ones. by a fairly large margin.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Looking good Andy!! You need to drive it up my place when you get it finished.!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.