help with new start

Bigsexy

Reaction score
So I had another thread but now have a lot more to add to it. My truck will crank with no start. It all started when I changed the bolts on my battery cables. It started once after that but I shut it off necause it was idilling rough. Ive checked all the fuses and relays along with replacing the batteries. Ive swapped ipr, idm, pcm, alternator and gp relays. The glow plugs relay is getting the correct power. I have had it hooked to a modus and a.e. with everything looking good. We have even tried starting it wih starting fluid and nothing happens. I have plenty of fuel coming out the drain and return. We thought it could have been something with the alarm but its all been disconnected. I need some new ideas to try as ive tried all I can think of and then some. Most of my plugs have signal and voltage. I really need to get it figured out asap as I have bulls I have to get to stock show this weekend

Bigsexy

Reaction score
When you just turn the key on it climbs to about 500 then once you start cranking it bumps to 2200. Ive also tried just unplugging the icp and that changes nothing.

golfer

Reaction score
When you just turn the key on it climbs to about 500 then once you start cranking it bumps to 2200. Ive also tried just unplugging the icp and that changes nothing.

key ON(!?) you have 500psi? (with the ICP sensor plugged in?)

and 2200 cranking?

that doesn't sound right.

key on should be zero...(maybe a few lingering psi depending on time between cranks)...and the psi should ramp up from 100-200-500-and start...

if your scan tool is showing 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 then 'bing' 2465psi...that is a bogus (default) number.

you might want to put a mechanical (gauge) on there...if I'm interpreting your numbers correctly.

http://swampsdiesel.com/prestashop/en/diagnostic-gauges/912-hpop-test-gauge.html

if/once you DO have verified ICP...any reason to suspect jacked up/bad/low psi fuel?

golfer

Reaction score
if the chip were a problem....the scan tool (typically) wouldn't have connectivity...@ IPR% are irrelevant to the truck starting...

either it has pressure or it doesn't...I don't think he cares what the DC% is...pressure is pressure...weak pump/strong pump...a psi = a psi.

To the OP-
Another thing...is your scantool reading "pressure" in psi or kPa?

1kpa = 0.145psi
(for example 19,310kPa = 2800 psi)

so "2200" kPa...would only be 319psi which is NOT enough to start a truck...

some scan tools report ICP pressure in kPa...until you change the units in the setup.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Sorry key on right after cranking was 300-400 bit it would drop to 500 and come down slowly. As soon as it started cranking thats when it would jump to 2000-2500 range. Ive tried pulling the chip and those numbers are off my biddys a.e.
I have an adrenline pump if that changes anything. Will a truck run at all with a bad hpop?

golfer

Reaction score
Sorry key on right after cranking was 300-400 bit it would drop to 500 and come down slowly. As soon as it started cranking thats when it would jump to 2000-2500 range. Ive tried pulling the chip and those numbers are off my biddys a.e.
I have an adrenline pump if that changes anything. Will a truck run at all with a bad hpop?

if the pump is making pressure (min 500+/- psi) then the pump is good enough to start the engine.

Your first sentence is confusing...but I don't think its pertinent to the issue.

AE will display bogus numbers just like any other scan tool...

but if the pressure seems to steadily increase while cranking..and not just jump right up to 2200 psi...then I would think your ICP readings may be accurate.

Do you have engine RPM ON THE SCAN TOOL while cranking (disregard tach on dash)...?

do you have fuel pressure?

any reason to suspect badddddd fuel?

when you ran the buzz test..did the injectors 'sound' similar in tone/intensity (of the buzz?)?

golfer

Reaction score
I would think it should TRY to hit on ether...

unless the engine has VERY low compression..there should be some kind of combustion occurring..even with every 'computer & wiring harness' removed from the truck...seriously

but..I have seen trucks with good compression not hit on ether...(usually from some seriously jacked up fuel..gasoline, etc..where the AF ratio won't allow for combustion).

Bigsexy

Reaction score
When we ran the buzz test one sounded a little differant bit wasnt of tone by much. The. Modus showed a rpm but I didnt notice it when I used the a.e.
I didnt look at fuel pressure on either computer, but will when I get it back tommow. I have a fuel pressure gauge but it decided to crap out on me right before this. I did how ever pop the fuel bowl drain and return line and it seemed to have pressure. The bad fuel could be a possibility but ive filled up at that station befor and always run power service with every tank.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
So I hooked a gauge up to the heads to see what pressure I have at the heads. The truck is right around. 2500 during cranking.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
So I figured out my problem today. The black check valve in my fuel bowl got stuck in the closed position so I wasnt getting any fuel. After replacing that whole thing shes runs qnd starts like a champ

Arisley

Reaction score
Glad it ended up being something easy to fix. I gutted that thing a few years ago. First time I have ever heard of any issues with it sticking closed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.