helping a buddy out

ricg

Reaction score
He has a 2003 F-350 with a 6oh in it. He just had head studs, egr delete, new oil cooler, new water pump, and new up pipes installed. He is running SCT canned tunes and his tunner is sent off to SCT for an unlock (so not able to read DTC) not that its throwing any. But he has a low power problem. When he trys and stalls it up, it wont even break the tires. I brefely look for tale-tale signs of a boost leak with not findings. He also said when he drives it slow and does ok, but when he tries to pass a car or get on it all it does it black smoke bad.. what do yall think?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Could be an exhaust leak, or the vanes in the turbo are sticking.

ricg

Reaction score
could the vvgt solenoid also cause this? trying to get the easy things first you know. he is not the brighest when it comes to mechanic duties. lol

Lassie

Reaction score
Boost leaks would be easiest to find. Check cold side CAC tube. Usually breaks in ribs on the bottom just out of the i-cooler. Remove it to check it right. Check both boots on hot side CAC tube. The boot at the turbo also seems to break on the bottom where you can't see without removal.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
could the vvgt solenoid also cause this? trying to get the easy things first you know. he is not the brighest when it comes to mechanic duties. lol

HAHAHA!!!! Let me know if y'all need any help man. Also, I could hook up my SCT to his truck to check for codes.

ricg

Reaction score
HAHAHA!!!! Let me know if y'all need any help man. Also, I could hook up my SCT to his truck to check for codes.

We might need that tomorrow!!

Well I got a little more info about what's going on today.. he said when it's warm it has long cranks until it starts, but when cold it starts up fine. We have checked for boost leaks and found nothing still.. also he said when he is driving it and he hits a certain rpm range the exhaust sounds like it gets drowned out.. I was leaning towards the turbo until he said it has longs cranks when warm. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.