High EGT after air mods

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious if any of you have any idea what might cause high EGT's while cruising 65 (around 900*) and low pulling power after an EGR/ intake throttle plate delete, upgraded up-pipes, ported intake, and an 03 turbo with a single plane billet wheel? I have checked and there are no boost or exhaust leaks. Before doing the work, the truck used to run around 720* while cruising and I truly thought that I would have decreased that after all the work but that is definitely not true!! I hooked up to a 4k trailer that I used to be able to easily tow with no effort but now the truck bogs down to 35 mph uphill and the EGTs instantly go up to around 1250. Under higher RPMs, the temps are usually within check but as soon as the TC locks in 5th gear, the EGT's usually go to around 900-925* and stay there. Does anyone know if it might be the 10 bladed turbo with the billet wheel causing the higher EGT's? I am out of ideas and need to get my towing pig back on the road again! :(

black'n'blue

Reaction score
What are your temps at 3500rpm? Usually with the "03" exhaust wheel, your EGT'S are higher at lower rpm's, but should lower EGT'S and you should see higher boost at higher rpm's. At least that's how Charlie @ KC Turbo explained it to me when I was contemplating upgrading my stocker

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
^ would it be worth swapping back to my stock 04 turbo and seeing if that corrects the problem? When you think about it, the 03 is 10 blade and is for top end power(above 2500 rpm) while the 04+ are 13 blade with better low end power( under 2k- cruising speed rpm)

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
What are your temps at 3500rpm? Usually with the "03" exhaust wheel, your EGT'S are higher at lower rpm's, but should lower EGT'S and you should see higher boost at higher rpm's. At least that's how Charlie @ KC Turbo explained it to me when I was contemplating upgrading my stocker

And that really describes my problem. The higher my rpm, the better the turbo performs and drops the egt- would be great for a race truck. The problem for me is when the truck shift into 5th and locks the TC the RPM starts out at around 1500 and has to work up to 1760 at 65. This is a huge problem for me when I was towing because shifting into the last gear is when I need the power the most. I can check the temps at 3500 tomorrow.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I'm not saying I know what the temps should be, I was curious if your EGT'S were lower at higher rpm's to rule some other possibilities out. I'd say it's more than likely the new wheel. Why did you go with an 03' turbo?

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
Why did you go with an 03' turbo?

The WHISTLE! :D But if I can't tow safely with it, I am fine listening to the radio instead. The EGT's are fine when the RPM is up and actually won't go over 1300 under WOT, but I don't like constantly sustaining 1150 EGT's while towing.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Did you exhaust wheel replacement only or did you get both exhaust/compressor wheels? I think it's their stage 1.5 kit?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I found the thread LOL

Well there are a lot of things that could be causing your issue. Sorry but this might get long

Who's tunes are you running?

Are you running an egr delete tune?

Are all of these cruising numbers while empty or loaded with a trailer?

Are you seeing 6-7psi of boost at 1500rpms with the high egts? Those boost numbers actually seem a little high for that low of rpm and cruising... maybe accelerating.

Are you sure the egt probe is good? It could have gone bad or be going bad.

It could be the brakes but unlikely to start immediately after a turbo swap. You could check that with a temp gun. Go for a little drive and use the brakes as little as possible. Pull over and see if any of the brake rotors are WAY hotter than the rest. Another quick check I have seen people perform is to put the truck in neutral while going 45mph and see if you feel any real "drag" on the truck... it should just coast like normal.

Do a quick check for exhaust leaks. Pop the hood and stand to the side of the truck. Then have someone inside the truck powerbrake the truck. Just put the truck in gear, hold the brake, and floor it for about 1-2 seconds and then let off... then repeat... then let off... the goal is to build up black smoke and ebp... BUT... without spinning the tires or lunging forward. The person standing to the side of the truck near the passenger wheel well needs to be looking for smoke. You should see no smoke under the hood. If you see any smoke then I would start looking for pre-turbo exhaust leaks.

There is a possibility that you need a new tune. The vane strategy is completely different for the 13 blade turbines and the 10 blade turbines. I would not think it could cause 925 cruising empty... but maybe about 100 degrees hotter than before. The 10 blade turbine will also run a little hotter down low and cooler up top... but not to the extent that you are describing.

You could also have a bad/clogged ebp tube or sensor. The early trucks actually use the ebp sensor to operate the vanes. They don't really look at the boost table when it comes to operating the vanes, only ebp. So if you ebp tube was clogged or your sensor was shorting out then your sensor might be reading low and your vanes would become more aggressive to try and raise up your ebp to normal ranges. But what could actually be happening is your vanes are too aggressive and you are running SUPER high ebp which cause excessive egts.

Also if you have your egr deleted and your valve still plugged in AND you are not running an egr delete tune then your vanes might be running overly aggressive trying to increase ebp, thus increasing egr flow.

Also make sure there is nothing wrong with the turbo. Pull in the intake boot and check for excessive play and/or rubbing issues. If you can please post a picture of the billet wheel inside the housing. A couple years ago I sent someone the wrong comp wheel and he had high egts (too small of a comp wheel... sorry but mistakes can happen). If it is my fault I will make sure to get you taken care of.

The best thing you could do to help us is to get a video of your monitor while driving around. If you don't have a monitor then that would be the first thing I would add to your list of things to do.

Go on a short 5 min drive and try to get a couple light accelerations, WOT runs, cruising at 65 and cruising at 75.

Make sure we can see the monitor and get the following PIDs. Also if possible keep all the windows open a little so we can hear the motor/exhaust... but try no to make it too windy

MAF
Boost
EBP
VGT duty cycle
ICPv
IPR/ICP duty cycle
RPM
Speed

KCTurbos

Reaction score
EDIT: Add egts to the list if possible

Make sure we can see the monitor and get the following PIDs. Also if possible keep all the windows open a little so we can hear the motor/exhaust... but try no to make it too windy

MAF
Boost
EBP
VGT duty cycle
ICPv
IPR/ICP duty cycle
RPM
Speed
EGTs

Latest posts

Members online