High pressure fuel system failures common?

SpyderX

Reaction score
Now I am having second thoughts again. I called my local diesel mechanic to ask him if he would be able to get a bolt out of the EGR manifold incase I break one while taking it off. He told me he didn't recommend taking anything off the truck or putting a programmer on until the warranty has expired. Said he has been working on a lot of 2011 and 2012 model trucks with fuel system failures. He said the repair would run $6500 for the complete fuel system. And would not be covered under warranty if things have been modified. I don't know what to do now, this is driving me crazy debating on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Now I am having second thoughts again. I called my local diesel mechanic to ask him if he would be able to get a bolt out of the EGR manifold incase I break one while taking it off. He told me he didn't recommend taking anything off the truck or putting a programmer on until the warranty has expired. Said he has been working on a lot of 2011 and 2012 model trucks with fuel system failures. He said the repair would run $6500 for the complete fuel system. And would not be covered under warranty if things have been modified. I don't know what to do now, this is driving me crazy debating on it.

even stock, when they have fuel system failures they are often denied warranty...

sootie

Reaction score
not really. not half as common as a six four eating a hpfp

SpyderX

Reaction score
not really. not half as common as a six four eating a hpfp

Cool. Everything I've read says get the emission stuff off asap. I'm afraid I'm gonna break off a bolt removing the EGR pipes. Any tips? I only have basic tools.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
take them out with the engine completely cold. A trick I've used for decades is to give the bolt a solid wack with a hammer first. The shock will usually free the bolt and you won't have a problem getting it out.

anth

Reaction score
Might try spraying the bolts a few days in advance with your choice of liquid wrench.

jetskier

Reaction score
Might try spraying the bolts a few days in advance with your choice of liquid wrench.

I used some PB Blaster on the bolts and then ran around for a couple days to let it heat soak. I think I shot them a couple times. The other trick is to "wiggle" the bolt out. It basically loosening it a 1/2 turn then tighten it a little and work it out that way. It seems to help work the threads loose better than one continuous motion in reverse. The block being cool, but not cold helps too. If it's at or near operating temps, there's too much expansion to get them out safely.

With the above, I had no issues getting them out.

SpyderX

Reaction score
I used some PB Blaster on the bolts and then ran around for a couple days to let it heat soak. I think I shot them a couple times. The other trick is to "wiggle" the bolt out. It basically loosening it a 1/2 turn then tighten it a little and work it out that way. It seems to help work the threads loose better than one continuous motion in reverse. The block being cool, but not cold helps too. If it's at or near operating temps, there's too much expansion to get them out safely.

With the above, I had no issues getting them out.

Thanks for the tips!

14ccd

Reaction score
It's more common to see the low pressure pump fail but at least that's an easy fix.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

The majority of hi pressure fuel system failures we see are customer created, ie putting def or gasoline in the tank. I have done probably 15-20 systems, and only 1 or 2 were not customer created. Both of yhose were able to be covered by warranty. The majority of the remainder were actually covered by the customers insurance company, which i hear will cover it once basicalky, after that you are f'ed. So dont pull a dumb dumb move and you should be ok. And get your fuel from reputable fuel stations, and change filters every 10k, do the normal good stuff for diesels. And you should be fine. If you use an additive be careful the cardboard top doesnt fall off into the tank, had one of hose recently that would drop low pressure due to the cardboard cap liner intermittently plugging the pick up.

JRLott

Reaction score
I don't know how many miles are on yours, but I pulled mine after 5,000 and...I think 2 soakings with PB Blaster with no issues. I probably could have skipped soaking them.
That said...7,000 miles later, I had to drill and tap my block off plate when I got my EGT sensor, because the plug may as well have been welded in. The bolts were no problem at all. I antisiezed both the bolts and plug. If the bolts turn at all, you should be golden. Just my experience...YMMV.

SpyderX

Reaction score
The majority of hi pressure fuel system failures we see are customer created, ie putting def or gasoline in the tank. I have done probably 15-20 systems, and only 1 or 2 were not customer created. Both of yhose were able to be covered by warranty. The majority of the remainder were actually covered by the customers insurance company, which i hear will cover it once basicalky, after that you are f'ed. So dont pull a dumb dumb move and you should be ok. And get your fuel from reputable fuel stations, and change filters every 10k, do the normal good stuff for diesels. And you should be fine. If you use an additive be careful the cardboard top doesnt fall off into the tank, had one of hose recently that would drop low pressure due to the cardboard cap liner intermittently plugging the pick up.

Thanks man, good advice. I appreciate it.

SpyderX

Reaction score
I don't know how many miles are on yours, but I pulled mine after 5,000 and...I think 2 soakings with PB Blaster with no issues. I probably could have skipped soaking them.
That said...7,000 miles later, I had to drill and tap my block off plate when I got my EGT sensor, because the plug may as well have been welded in. The bolts were no problem at all. I antisiezed both the bolts and plug. If the bolts turn at all, you should be golden. Just my experience...YMMV.

Mine has 55,000 on it. What's a good EGT range for these trucks. Regular driving and towing? What's considered high?

JRLott

Reaction score
Good question. I'll be watching for the answer from the smart people.
Mine runs 600-800 around town, and has hit 1356 or 1376 when getting on it. Haven't pulled or run any highway since I installed.

Latest posts

Members online