Holley billet inline pumps

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Correction again. Get 2 SD pumps and have a fail safe in case one goes down. And enough to fuel big sticks. ! All which can be built and mounted on the truck for cheaper the the cost of just the Fuellab pump !

And I would re-think your filter microns. 10 mic fuel/water sep out of the tank, fuel pump into a 2 micron then up to the heads.

TARM

Reaction score
Make sure of the flow rate of those filters as well as you do not want restriction on the vacuum side. That will eat a pump up quick. Pre pump is mainly to get the water sep and pull out the big crap so that you do not clog up your post pump filter needlessly.

The range I like to say in but some recommend even higher mic rating. These are absolute filtration efficiency ratings NOT nominal(.i.e 98.5%+ versus 50%-60%):
Pre pump 10-30 mic (fuel water sep)
Post pump 2-4 mic

I like the dual SD pump setups (bosch pumps). I prefer the Bosch 044 over the Walbro 392. Adding a low pressure high vol lift pump like the Carters (which are diesel rated) is a great way to take stress off the primary HP pumps.

Last edited:

lowbedriver

Reaction score
"I like the dual SD pump setups (bosch pumps). I prefer the Bosch 044 over the Walbro 392. Adding a low pressure high vol lift pump like the Carters (which are diesel rated) is a great way to take stress off the primary HP pumps."

Tim,why do you prefer the bosch over the walbro Quality?
I ask because I bought 2 Walbros for the price of 1 Bosch

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Because the Walbros have been known to fail at less then 10000 miles. Where as the stock SD pumps seem to last as long as some peoples trucks.

And to anyone looking, you can usually find used SD pumps off of wrecks or people have laying around for 50-100$ average.
So realistically seeing as SDs come stock with one, and you buy a used one for 75$ your farther ahead as most Walbros cost 110$.

lowbedriver

Reaction score
I agree with you on the SD pumps, mine was still working when I pulled it at 210,000.I went with the walbro's because i wanted new pumps when i put my new sticks in and I got a deal on them.I,ll probably regret it later which is what usually happens:fustrate:

TARM

Reaction score
"I like the dual SD pump setups (bosch pumps). I prefer the Bosch 044 over the Walbro 392. Adding a low pressure high vol lift pump like the Carters (which are diesel rated) is a great way to take stress off the primary HP pumps."

Tim,why do you prefer the bosch over the walbro Quality?
I ask because I bought 2 Walbros for the price of 1 Bosch

Yes first is quality. Next durability. (BTW you will find these conclusions in the ricer world as well.) But beyond that the Bosch's have more technology in them. Such as built in check valves. Drain back can damage pumps as well as it keeps pressure surges away from the pump. The have thermal protect that will go into limit mode if a temp is exceeded. Another big one is flat out performance which IMO shows the higher quality as well. Take a look at a flow/pressure/volt/amps graphs for the two pumps. As pressure goes up in a Walbro flow goes down in a fairly consistent ratio from 0-100. The bosch holds very close to a consistent flow rate regardless of the pressure. So a 044 flows close to the same amount @ 30 psi as it does at 70psi. The walbro rated flow rate is at free flow which is no resistance.

TARM, are you talking about carter's hi performance direct fit electric pumps?

The pump I am speaking of are the 4600 series i.e. 4600 and 4601HP. You can pick them up for about $100-$120 As these are low pressure 4-6 lbs you can mount them before the fuel/water sep. This takes all strain off the HP pump. Many of the Dodge and Duramax guys run these are their lift pumps and they have good track records. By running the two pumps you are taking away the any extra strain on either of them giving them both better longevity. With the 100 gal per hr rating it will always keep up with a 044 or anything smaller or slightly bigger.

My fuel system is a bit more tech as I wanted to take advantage of every benefit I could. Kind of creating close to an ideal fuel system.

Fuel System with a Different Twist

You want to use the 4600 if you mount pre water fuel sep without the use of a surge tank. The 4601HP has internal reg set in the teens for pressure and the less the better with w/f seps. But either will work.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
sory for the derail but,

TARM, i read the thread on your fuel system and noticed you said you ran separate relays for each pump. i also read guzzles way of wiring the carter pump and he ran a wire of the positive post of the stock pump to the carter pump and then grounded the carter to the frame... is his way ok or is yours better?

TARM

Reaction score
His way is OK and my way is better. LOL

Only reason I say that is I still used the stock wiring and relay to act as the com line that actives both pumps via their relays. So regardless if you want your stock key on and priming time to still work for both pumps you are already going to be running one extra relay for the primary pump and then jumping the original stock wires to both that relay then onto the carter pump which means you will need to extend the wiring anyways. Why not add the second relay as well as a inline 30amp fuse to each.

Not to mention this way you have next to nothing as far as amps running down those thinner stock lines as they are only control wires. If you have an issue with a particular pump or power it will be easier to diagnose as well. I use only HQ thin strand 10g wire. I grounded to the frame as well as to the battery to be safe for each pump.

Also be sure to pick up some small and large wire loom to protect all the wires you run. The bigger loom you usually do not find and chain automotive stores but hardware stores like HD lowes etc electrical stores seem to have the larger choice. For connectors audio stores have the good plated ones.

I still have to find a idea place to hard mount my relays but everything is secure and all wires from pumps to power source is in loom.

I guess my point is spend just a tad bit more and take just a little bit more time and go that extra bit some it does not come back to bite you.

EDited to add:

Forgot to mention if you do plan to use the factory wiring for any pump or to trigger the relay and you are running a two pump setup you must use it to trigger both pumps. If not you will have one or the other pump possibly running while the other pump was tripped off my the timer. One would run the entire time if the key is on while the other would cut off.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
The only thing I would be concerned with is that they are not specifically diesel rated and the Carters are. It could be answered with a phone call to JEGs tech or holley I am sure.

TARM

Reaction score
I am sure someone has or a number of people as its the same type of pump. The best place to likely look would be in forums that support injection or ppump engines. Duramax, Cummins as they have been using these pumps for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online