how bad will I hate my truck if I go from maxpowers to 475 single?

78f100

Reaction score
I know it won't spool as good as the mp's and its not the perfect setup. But for now its simple cheaper and I will use it as a single or as part of a compound setup later on the reg cab. I have stayed so busy since opening the tire store and shop I never have time to work on or fab my own stuff. I have the means to build my own setup just not the time right now and can't see anytime in the near future to be able to. I love the max powers they are awesome turbos it just takes some time to send them off and have them repaired, if it can be. My last vgt couldnt be repaired so I bought a new one. This one works fine its just pushing oil so I'm hoping its just a seal.
Basically I don't want my truck down long so I figured since I plan to run a single on the rc why not just put it on the black truck for now. With a pedistal that uses stock up pipe flanges in stock location. Who knows I may like it.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
You guys are touching on something that I have been meaning to ask... maybe I should start another thread...

Why in the world would you get rid of your compounds for a single??? Just about every other platform out there wishes they had compounds and spends lots of money adding compounds. It seems you can get the same top end power without losing any bottom end power with compounds, and the truck is already set up for them. Why get rid of them?

I see a ton of guys switch and everyone talks about how "it does not spool that bad" or "I don't mind it that bad" or "just keep it above 2500 rpms"

So why the big push for non-vgt? Especially for a DD (not sled puller or track queen)

madman1234509

Reaction score
Dont forget, its not just buying a 75 and up pipe adapters and sticking it on. Youre going to need to modify the downpipe, modify the charge pipe, intake. Also the turbo feed and drain. And figure a pedestal situation. Regardless of what you do, hopefully we can catch up if you are going to Rudys. Have a few beers rather then meeting quick at the gas station haha.

78f100

Reaction score
You guys are touching on something that I have been meaning to ask... maybe I should start another thread...

Why in the world would you get rid of your compounds for a single??? Just about every other platform out there wishes they had compounds and spends lots of money adding compounds. It seems you can get the same top end power without losing any bottom end power with compounds, and the truck is already set up for them. Why get rid of them?

I see a ton of guys switch and everyone talks about how "it does not spool that bad" or "I don't mind it that bad" or "just keep it above 2500 rpms"

So why the big push for non-vgt? Especially for a DD (not sled puller or track queen)

I never said it what I always wanted, I may end up building my own compound setup like I want too. I am so busy right now I just don't have the time to put into it. I'm a growing business owner and a single dad so time is my biggest issue. Its obvious compounds are the way to go if you can. I was hoping to get some insight from someone who had ran both mostkikely I reverse order from what I'm thinking. I'm curious about singles but have no experience with them on a 6.4, figured no better place to find out how they really compare than from the guys here who have done it.

78f100

Reaction score
Dont forget, its not just buying a 75 and up pipe adapters and sticking it on. Youre going to need to modify the downpipe, modify the charge pipe, intake. Also the turbo feed and drain. And figure a pedestal situation. Regardless of what you do, hopefully we can catch up if you are going to Rudys. Have a few beers rather then meeting quick at the gas station haha.

I know.
Yes I plan on going, hope to see you there also.
Aaron had a 71vgt on the shelf last time I talked to him....... Idk what I want to do yet.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
the one thing you seem to be forgetting, madman, is the setup he's going to have to fab, is what he is going to put on his other truck.

so while the compounds are down, he's going to fab a single in there.

when compounds are back, he's going to take that single kit off, put it on the other truck, and put compounds back on this one.

it's simply pre-fabbing a single in, to keep a truck on the road, instead of having them down.

least that what it sounded like.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
I never said it what I always wanted, I may end up building my own compound setup like I want too. I am so busy right now I just don't have the time to put into it. I'm a growing business owner and a single dad so time is my biggest issue. Its obvious compounds are the way to go if you can. I was hoping to get some insight from someone who had ran both mostkikely I reverse order from what I'm thinking. I'm curious about singles but have no experience with them on a 6.4, figured no better place to find out how they really compare than from the guys here who have done it.

I've run both on my truck. I know it's a manual truck but I ran a 75 then went to a 66/88 twin setup. I couldn't stand the 75. Yea it was fun when it was wound up. But cruising at 1lb of boost and 1k egts wasn't my thing. I also had it when tuning was hard to come by for a modified manual truck. Maybe I should've tried a smaller exhaust before I ditched it but I needed my truck. Craig built twins for me and I never looked back. It isn't for everyone. To each their own.

buck russell

Reaction score
I think a lot of people have talked about a pretty noticeable difference going from a 72 to a 75. Plus he had a quick spoiling vgt set up before so he will notice it without a doubt.

There's definitely a difference between a 72 and a 75. Hell, I noticed a difference going from a 66 to a 72.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Also if you are going with this setup for a race/fun truck I would definitely do a single

Why? Dont take offense to that but why would you switch away? What are the advantages? That was the point of my post. I see a bunch of guys switching, posting spool up videos, and talking about how the lag is not that bad? But is it just for reliability reasons?

I think we have a bunch of the same questions... I was just pointing out why I have those questions...

So you have no time, and no money, and have the spare stock vgt/71 laying around??? and your plan is to fab up a single setup and buy another turbo instead of swapping on the kit you already have?