how do I find a boost leak?

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I think I have a boost leak that is keeping me from realizing the full potential of my new MTW stage 1 turbo. I'm only seeing ~20psi with stock tuning, my EGTs are 200 degrees higher than the stock turbo, and the truck just doesn't have the expected seat of the pants performance increase.

How do I go bout diagnosing this? I had all of the boots replaced with Riff Raff boots when the turbo was installed. I need to try and figure this out ASAP as I have a 250 mile one way trip pulling 8k lbs this coming weekend.

Thanks!

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Make a boost leak tester. Get a piece of pvc piping that will fit over the turbo inlet. Also get a cap for this pipe. Tap 2 holes into the cap, one for a pressure gauge and one as an air inlet. Hook up shop regulated air. Soap and water around the boots should help u find the leak.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Here's mine...
atytaze2.jpg

za6ygydu.jpg

I have a regulator set up with a gauge and a hose that I hook up to it.

MorganY

Reaction score
Can you actually hear the boost leak? The charger is going to make less boost compared to the stock charger until you upgrade the fuel side of things. Hence the reason lots of guys see less boost, and more lag with something like a powermax on stock fuel.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I like the dieselsite tool! Seems kind of spendy, but if it solves my problem, then I guess it was worth it. Maybe I could sell it to someone else afterward and get some money back.

As far as hearing the boost leak, no, I cannot hear anything. I talked to Adrian about my symptoms since installing the turbo and he mentioned that it could be a boost leak. This turbo shouldn't need any additional fuel to run like a top. Mine isn't performing the way it should, so there has to be an issue somewhere in the system.

RescueF250

Reaction score
I believe your ( Stock tuning ) as you stated is what I think stock tuning see's 22-24psi. What were you boosting before ? since you replaced your turbo did you tighten your ypipe enough ? IIRC stock gauge on the dash is off at times as well.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I was running Matt's SRL and changed back to stock to tow my travel trailer this weekend. On the stock turbo I would see 28psi or so when pulling the trailer (usually right before downshifting). This weekend I only saw about 20psi.

MorganY

Reaction score
Check your MAP hose coming off the manifold, make sure it's on and not cracked or torn.

I've had a few come in with conditions your describing.

MorganY

Reaction score
The sensor is above the Evap box on the passenger side underneath the plastic wiring harness (the bracket has three 10mm nuts holding it down) the hose then runs down and connects to a nipple on the manifold behind the alternator.

Latest posts

Members online