How long will block heater work?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
yea I don't think the truck is going to eat up that much of my electric bill to worry about a timer etc, and do you have to reset the timer everyday>?

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Most def. get a timer. These heaters are high wattage and will suck some power if left on for a long time. Set it about 2-3 hours before you fire it up, or even pulse the timer say every other hour for 15-30 mins if its really bad out. Oh also make sure to get a thick extension cord, again its pulling quiet a bit of power.

I forgot what the specs are on the heater element, but it is big like I said. The timers can be had for cheap, if you can hook it up inside some how... I have an electrical outlet that is outside, but has conduit inside and I just screwed/connected an electrical plug to it and plugged it into my timer and then into a box in the basement.

Last edited:

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
Most def. get a timer. These heaters are high wattage and will suck some power if left on for a long time. Set it about 2-3 hours before you fire it up, or even pulse the timer say every other hour for 15-30 mins if its really bad out. Oh also make sure to get a thick extension cord, again its pulling quiet a bit of power.

I forgot what the specs are on the heater element, but it is big like I said. The timers can be had for cheap, if you can hook it up inside some how... I have an electrical outlet that is outside, but has conduit inside and I just screwed/connected an electrical plug to it and plugged it into my timer and then into a box in the basement.

Yeah what I run is from an outlet in the garage. And ihave it set on a timer from 3 till 7 amand I start the truck round 615 or so

pungohboy

Reaction score
I use a 2 hr timer as well. I don't live in a very cold area but I only drive 8 miles to work so with the heater in use when its in the 30's or below I actually get some heat blowing out my vents without a 15 minute warmup. I don't see a reason not to plug it in in cooler temps.

Tim1216

Reaction score
I plug mine in on a timer about 3 hours before I leave, anytime it's gonna be below 20*. It's supposed to be 15 tomorrow morning so I just plugged mine in. I also use a 12ga extension cord. I didn't notice much on my electric bill last winter and it was FREEZING cold last year, I read somewhere it's basically like leaving a light on

248superduty

Reaction score
I just plug it in before i go to bed and unplug before i leave in the morning for work. i leave at 430am so id rather not have the truck idle for 20min before i leave.

Latest posts

Members online