How to keep a 6.0 turbo from going bad?

woodduck97

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a 06 F-250 with about 36k on it and the this will be the 3rd turbo it will need and now it is outta warranty. What can be done so this thing will stop going bad?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Define "bad"

Are the vanes sticking? Are the bearings bad? Are the wheels dusted? Etc

woodduck97

Reaction score
Truck mainly sits and when it does move it pulls a inclosed car trailer and a 20 foot center console boat and just drives it around. His 03 F-450 dump truck has 46k on it and still has the orignal turbo. Just needs new injectors cause they are getting sticky.

Atsah

Reaction score
Truck mainly sits and when it does move it pulls a inclosed car trailer and a 20 foot center console boat and just drives it around. His 03 F-450 dump truck has 46k on it and still has the orignal turbo. Just needs new injectors cause they are getting sticky.

And there would be his problem.

woodduck97

Reaction score
So why does sitting cause the turbo to take a ****? The 03 does more sitting then this one.

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
So why does sitting cause the turbo to take a ****? The 03 does more sitting then this one.

I couldn't tell you why two 6.0's that sit for long periods of time have different results.. Out of any diesel I know of, the 6.0 works best when used hard dailly, a 6.0 that sits and isn't used for it's intended purpose is normally a problem one..

Mdub707

Reaction score
When they sit the vanes and unison ring on the turbo rust/corrode. The best thing for these trucks is to use them how they were intended. Even daily driving it with a light foot isn't great.

JD3020

Reaction score
When they sit the vanes and unison ring on the turbo rust/corrode. The best thing for these trucks is to use them how they were intended. Even daily driving it with a light foot isn't great.

Yeah, the vanes rusting is a big deal. My uncle has an 03 or 04 6 speed farm truck, and it was eating turbo's left and right cause it would sit for days at a time, and he would just take it up and down the road every now and then.

But how would sitting hurt the bearings and cause shaft play?

It's honestly amazing how many 6.0 turbo's have issues. Between my uncle and another friend with a 03 or 04 6.0, they've gone through prolly 8 turbo's. Neither truck driven hard or hot rodded.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd imagine stuck vanes will accelerate wear on everything in the turbo. Backpressure would increase, possibly more heat...

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Could his oil cooler be completely clogged? Maybe excessive heat in the oil?

if it was that clogged it would throw a code. I forget the number but if ect/eot is more than like 18* apart for an extended time it throws a code.

Latest posts

Members online