How would this spool?.....

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
What do y'all think this would spool like? Turbo is a garrett tv63 off of a Detroit 6v53 motor. Specs are ind-68mmx78mm wheel, turbine side88mmx78mm. A/R sizing is. 83 on the comp, and 1.05 on the exhaust. Only catch is it's a T6 open mount. Would be custom up-pipes, and possibly manners too. Discuss.......

sent from the shop making things fly.....

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing the build, if there is one.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
im gathering that is a VGT of a detroit, i was talking to another guy who wants to put one on his OBS with 400/400s. but the model is a gta4294s??

havent guys run gt4294s on 7.3s before but as a large single so a VGT would only just spool quicker

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
im gathering that is a VGT of a detroit, i was talking to another guy who wants to put one on his OBS with 400/400s. but the model is a gta4294s??

havent guys run gt4294s on 7.3s before but as a large single so a VGT would only just spool quicker

I wouldnt consider a 4294 a "big" single.... but yes people definitely are running them, especially the 4294r's

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
i will have to see if i can find the specs of that turbo and compare them for yall tonight. i have nothing better to do. will try to find some compressor maps too, and maybe some other VGT big rig tubos like the frightliner turbo brake (Schwitzer s410t on a T4 mount)

hawgdoctor

Reaction score

I wish it was vgt, but its a standard journal bearing turbo. I hope you can come up with some info. I've looked with no luck.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
ohh... thought u were after a variable vein turbo... the Garrett turbo is a VNT (variable nozzle turbo). Borg Warner also has a VNT set up out known as the BV series..

other then that i cannot find jack on these spec wise.... and NOTING on the BW turbos, at least Garrett has a product site

IDP

Reaction score
It doesn't sound to big, should work ok. But its ancient and as turbo shops I've talked to say a farm tractor turbo. In my opinion for what you could buy a s466 or comparable for it wouldn't be worth the money to rig it up and not have the flow.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
With that turbine wheel and housing it will be slower to spool, what are you wanting to run with it for fuel? Is it for a daily driver or race application?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
With that turbine wheel and housing it will be slower to spool, what are you wanting to run with it for fuel? Is it for a daily driver or race application?

It will be a dd, and playtoy. Thinking either 238/80's, or 250/200's. Both will be hybrids, and of course all the other supporting mods.

thats gonna be a smidge slow on spool up n yes its ancient new turbo technogoly wuld spool much better

True, but this cost me nothing, and trying to do it on a budget.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There are some VNT installs on 7.3's; if you google it you will see. They used a variety of vgt turbo's, including one from a new powerstroke. It's pretty darn neat. Just expensive and time consuming. same with 12v cummins, they are using vgt's from new cummins retro'd onto the 12v.

OSCS

Reaction score
There are some VNT installs on 7.3's; if you google it you will see. They used a variety of vgt turbo's, including one from a new powerstroke. It's pretty darn neat. Just expensive and time consuming. same with 12v cummins, they are using vgt's from new cummins retro'd onto the 12v.

ive only heard about people wanting to do it. care to post a link?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.