HP Oil System Question

Diabolic

Reaction score
I have some questions about the high pressure oil system. Will a bad or leaking injector on the passenger side effect the pressure reading at the ICP on the driver side or does each head get its own feel and one side does not effect the other?

Is the pressure commanded by the ICP written in the tune?

Diabolic

Reaction score
So how do you isolate each head to narrow down what side has a bad injector or leaking p-ring?

Diabolic

Reaction score
I'm just curious here. Let's say I have a modified HPOP that should see 2800-3000 psi. At wot I get IPR% of 36 and ICP of 2500. So since the IPR% is normal at 36, but the ICP is only 2500...... Is a higher ICP pressure of say 2800 something that is commanded in the tune??

Diabolic

Reaction score
It seems that the pcm sends a signal to the IPR based off the tps and map sensor. The ecm commands a certain pressure based off the map and tps. The ICP reports back if the requested pressure is being achieved and the end makes adjustments to the IPR if it isn't getting what was requested. Is this correct or do I have that backwards? If I am correct then at wot, how can you have an ICP pressure of 2500 and IPR% 35? To me this indicates the ICP is reporting back the commanded pressure has been reached. Does that mean the ECM is only asking for 2500psi? If it was asking for 2800 and only getting 2500, then the ICP would go higher than 35. I assume the commanded pressure of 2500 at wot is from the end and in the tune it can be bumped to 2800 or 3000?

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
There is a map or table rather in the calibration that maps out ICP desired the 3 axis map is based off of rpm vs MFD. Tuning changes are made to this map frequently. You are not going to see max ICP at lower rpms as the tuning does consider ramp rate of the hpop.

Last edited:

Diabolic

Reaction score
But at wot I'm seeing IPR % of 35-36 and ICP of 2500. Shouldn't it be commanding 3000, and if yes then why isn't the IPC commanding more from the IPR?

superpsd

Reaction score
But at wot I'm seeing IPR % of 35-36 and ICP of 2500. Shouldn't it be commanding 3000, and if yes then why isn't the IPC commanding more from the IPR?

It depends on the calibration. My stock calibration calls for a maximum of 2800 ICP. To see that it needs to be over like 2000rpms. Are you holding it at WOT or just giving it quick blips. Typically test is get out on the highway and hold WOT thru the rpm band. There are low boost fueling maps but they don't seem to have much of an effect to a large degree on ICP from what I have messed with. I can make tuning changes say to set Max ICP at 3100psi and my Torque Pro data logs will verify that change.

Do you have a larger hpop and a tune?

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Without seeing the calibrations parameters it's hard to say what the ICP desired map looks like. Are you planning to tune it or other upgrades? I would assume that it's being commanded for whatever reason to 2500 psi as your IPR is only seeing 36% duty cycle which would be higher if it were trying to achieve a higher pressure. What are you reading ICP with?

Last edited:

Diabolic

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. I pulled the chip because it was starting very rough, IPR% was 63 and ICP was only 2200. Corrupt tunes were suspect so the chip is out for a reflash. I installed a new ICP, IPR, pulled the chip, changed the oil, and I still get 35-36% and 2500. Chip will be back this week.

superpsd

Reaction score
Well if ICP is still low with the new tunes you may then start checking hpop health and for leaking orings etc

Diabolic

Reaction score
That's my point, if there was a leak then the ICP would realize it wasn't getting the commanded pressure and the IPR% would be much higher. Same thing if the pump was weak. In my cSe the IPR% at 35 is completely normal. It seems I'm getting the commanded pressure. I just figured it would be higher than 2500.

superpsd

Reaction score
So I am doing some cold weather tuning and looked over the stock calibration for you and 2500psi is the maximum ICP on the factory tune. Most tuning will set it at 3000 and higher for max ICP

Last edited:

Diabolic

Reaction score
I ran it from idle to 95mph. ICP hits 2500 then 2450, 2500, 2450.......... I have Stg 1 160 injectors and a CNC Fab HPOP.

mandkole

Reaction score
Id wait until your tuning is fixed and you can reevaluate. You are seeing a stock ICP command limit...

Latest posts

Members online