HPFP and injector questions. Need direction

madman1234509

Reaction score
So, I'm posting this looking for some insight on a direction to go as far as getting my truck back together. To sum things up, my front pump locked up. The truck was running fine, and idled normal after the pump locked up. No codes were thrown. Upon taking things apart, 2 injectors were broken, and it was noted that 3 of my injector nozzles appeared to be clogged in several of the holes.

First question... The pump in the valley was taken apart, and the bores appear to be perfect, no metal was found in the pump, and the plungers appear to be in good shape. Should I be concerned that this pump will fail prematurely now? And should I just replace it?

Second question...I bought 2 used pumps, but am debating holding off on those and buying 2 remans. What kind of luck are you guys having with these reman pumps since the incidents of them leaking?

3rd question. What direction should I go with the injectors on this truck? Obviously I need to buy two. But I need 3 nozzles, or at minimum need them cleaned. Does anyone sell nozzles individually? Or does anyone clean them? Should I just throw the other injectors back in the truck and replace them if I start to get codes?

I appreciate any insight you guys may have. Looking for the most cost effective way to get this thing back on the road, but I don't want to 1, melt a piston, and 2 be back in this same spot 1 month down the road.

White_monster

Reaction score
I'd replace all the injectors and nozzles. I'd also use reman pumps. Been using a reman pump on my twin fueler for years. Cover your ass on this one. Least with new parts you may get warranty if one failed and wrecked other parts.

webb06

Reaction score
So, I'm posting this looking for some insight on a direction to go as far as getting my truck back together. To sum things up, my front pump locked up. The truck was running fine, and idled normal after the pump locked up. No codes were thrown. Upon taking things apart, 2 injectors were broken, and it was noted that 3 of my injector nozzles appeared to be clogged in several of the holes.

First question... The pump in the valley was taken apart, and the bores appear to be perfect, no metal was found in the pump, and the plungers appear to be in good shape. Should I be concerned that this pump will fail prematurely now? And should I just replace it?

Second question...I bought 2 used pumps, but am debating holding off on those and buying 2 remans. What kind of luck are you guys having with these reman pumps since the incidents of them leaking?

3rd question. What direction should I go with the injectors on this truck? Obviously I need to buy two. But I need 3 nozzles, or at minimum need them cleaned. Does anyone sell nozzles individually? Or does anyone clean them? Should I just throw the other injectors back in the truck and replace them if I start to get codes?

I appreciate any insight you guys may have. Looking for the most cost effective way to get this thing back on the road, but I don't want to 1, melt a piston, and 2 be back in this same spot 1 month down the road.

I agree with Shane. I'd either go with new injectors and nozzles or send the old ones to MFI or RCD to be tested and or cleaned or replaced. I'd go with reman pumps, clean out the fuel rails, all the feed lines, change your filters, and clean out the tank. You cannot be too careful when dealing with metal in the fuel system on these trucks.

Speaking from experience I had this exact thing happen on my truck, I replaced the front pump not knowing any different. A week later I had injectors laying down and was trying to just replace injectors and nozzles. Needless to say it didn't work out so well.

Bite the bullet and do it right especially on a truck like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madman1234509

Reaction score
I agree with Shane. I'd either go with new injectors and nozzles or send the old ones to MFI or RCD to be tested and or cleaned or replaced. I'd go with reman pumps, clean out the fuel rails, all the feed lines, change your filters, and clean out the tank. You cannot be too careful when dealing with metal in the fuel system on these trucks.

Speaking from experience I had this exact thing happen on my truck, I replaced the front pump not knowing any different. A week later I had injectors laying down and was trying to just replace injectors and nozzles. Needless to say it didn't work out so well.

Bite the bullet and do it right especially on a truck like yours.

When your injectors started having issues, was it just codes? Or did you hurt the motor?

I definitely want to do this right, for myself and the time I'll have it and for the next owner.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
When your injectors started having issues, was it just codes? Or did you hurt the motor?

I definitely want to do this right, for myself and the time I'll have it and for the next owner.

Misfire codes and I could feel the miss in the engine.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I've thought about selling it after its back together. Idk what I'm going to do yet. On one hand it's exactly how I want it and would hate to. On the other hand, it's right where I want it and wouldn't mind building something else.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
What's the worst anyone's seen from a hpfp going bad? I think mine went so I'm may be in the same situation the op is in

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
What's the worst anyone's seen from a hpfp going bad? I think mine went so I'm may be in the same situation the op is in

basically everything in line gets nasty. look at everything else that see's fuel and can get contaminated.

pdumont01

Reaction score
This was by far the worst I've seen. Replaced the pump, was back in business.
7f4425d130cbde6c745a88f8c59274e2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online