Hung another lifter...wtf!

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Had a sticky lifter about 15k miles ago. Pulled engine. Had the heads gone through...new valves, stems, cups, oil pan, manifolds and bellowed up pipes.

Driving Xmas eve and I know the symptoms all to familiar it has another sticky exhaust lifter. What are the chances?!? Cam looked great etc...only thing I can think of is coincidence it's another cylinder or it has poor lube oil to the one that failed previously. I did new oil pump 16 lifters and push rods as well. I think this is going to push me to get rid of the truck I love so much....

I just put toyos and brakes on it last week.

Hold me bros!

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
New guides and new exhaust valves. and I run motorcraft PSD oil. Oil has 1k on it. I change at 4K intervals.

The lifter last time was passenger rear exhaust. It appeared to possibly have debris in it. 15/40 in summer, 10/30 in winter.

I haven't even dug into it. I just know. It hesitates (worse at times then others) but the telltale is popping out the exhaust and shuttering when decelerating in TC lockup. I'm just at a loss here. This is my school bus (3 kids).

Jomax

Reaction score
New guides and new exhaust valves. and I run motorcraft PSD oil. Oil has 1k on it. I change at 4K intervals.

The lifter last time was passenger rear exhaust. It appeared to possibly have debris in it. 15/40 in summer, 10/30 in winter.

I haven't even dug into it. I just know. It hesitates (worse at times then others) but the telltale is popping out the exhaust and shuttering when decelerating in TC lockup. I'm just at a loss here. This is my school bus (3 kids).

Were you the guy with a hung injector and kept driving it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
What's the valve guide clearance set at ?
We set them about .004 or so . seems the new guids are to tight . when they get heat soak seems to be sticking.....

Does it only do it warm and not cold ?? All the time ??

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
What's the valve guide clearance set at ?

We set them about .004 or so . seems the new guids are to tight . when they get heat soak seems to be sticking.....

Does it only do it warm and not cold ?? All the time ??

Pretty much does it right out of the driveway. I had the heads done at a local machine shop. No clue what he set the stem to guide clearance is at. I can call him Monday.

I was able to figure it out last time by cranking the engine and hearing the thump out the exhaust then pinpointing what cyl it was and that was with old worn guides. Tried that this time and cranks fine. After talking with the engine dept at swamps for a second opinion we both suspected a lifter. I found a small piece of trash in the old one upon disassembly and that's what I hung my hat on.

I thought it was intake valves that these things eat

It might have been the intakes I'll have to check my receipts.

2001 7.3 swamps 175/146 single shots/ idm ts-6 chip.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
motorcraft oil sucks ass. i dont think it is bad enough to cause the sticky lifter issue being all are new but id change it to delo 15/40.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
motorcraft oil sucks ass. i dont think it is bad enough to cause the sticky lifter issue being all are new but id change it to delo 15/40.

live life full throttle

Thx for the reply! Funny thing is it runs the best on it. I'm debating on trying a different oil and see if it frees up a bit. I've got delvac 1 on tap at work but I'm not a thief lol.

Anyone ever try ATF or an additive to try to unstick a lifter? I know it's good
for freeing up gunk which this engine is spotless internally but I might try anything at this point.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I just had this one. #7 exhaust. I told him it was possibly a bad guide. Tossed in used parts and got tail light warranty.
ivTcOlp.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thx for the reply! Funny thing is it runs the best on it. I'm debating on trying a different oil and see if it frees up a bit. I've got delvac 1 on tap at work but I'm not a thief lol.

Anyone ever try ATF or an additive to try to unstick a lifter? I know it's good
for freeing up gunk which this engine is spotless internally but I might try anything at this point.

i dont see yow it runs the best on motorcraft.. that junk is about the same as rochitta.. please dont put atf in your crank case...

live life full throttle

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
i dont see yow it runs the best on motorcraft.. that junk is about the same as rochitta.. please dont put atf in your crank case...

live life full throttle

I believe it's in my tuning. It runs best on 10/30 tbh. I'm assuming the icp is on the higher side (my pump holds pretty well) so when I come off the highway it would take a little bit to bleed off and have a rather shaky idle on 15/40. Nothing out of the ordinary just a pet peeve.

As far as atf....I do things pretty text book but after all this bull**** I'm open to ideas what do I have to lose?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Nope... both intake and exhaust pushrods were bent and off rockers. It had an ever so slight miss.

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Wishful thinking maybe something similar happened. I'm jumping to the lifter conclusion based on previous experience. I'll pull the covers next weekend most likely.

The dt466 rockers break a lot with no symptoms.

Latest posts

Members online