Hung another lifter...wtf!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I believe it's in my tuning. It runs best on 10/30 tbh. I'm assuming the icp is on the higher side (my pump holds pretty well) so when I come off the highway it would take a little bit to bleed off and have a rather shaky idle on 15/40. Nothing out of the ordinary just a pet peeve.

As far as atf....I do things pretty text book but after all this bull**** I'm open to ideas what do I have to lose?

2001 7.3 swamps 175/146 single shots/ idm ts-6 chip.
have you tried chevron delo 15/40?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
have you tried chevron delo 15/40?

live life full throttle

No I have not. I ran rotella and Mobil delvac before motorcraft. I've probably put motorcraft in the last 3 times.

I'll try delo I reckon. Any reasoning?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No I have not. I ran rotella and Mobil delvac before motorcraft. I've probably put motorcraft in the last 3 times.

I'll try delo I reckon. Any reasoning?

those 3 oils you listed are the worst ones to run... delo 15/40 is prolly the closest dino oil there is to a full synthetic oil.. i compare it to 15/40 amsoil... that is all i run and all i tell people to run that want oil they dont have to order!! better starts, better idle, holds max icp longer in the oci.. smother running period.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
I agree...i use delo 15/40 after pissing with synthetic for two years. Had lots of leaks and pulled the motor to reseal everything and replace the pan.

No more of that. I think a built motor with hot fuel side would even be ok on delo400.

I think synthetic is a waste as we cant run oci long enough to make use of it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well. I don't think oil directly caused this... but...... Let's find out what happened, ok

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, but when you found one bad lifter before, you didn't replace them all at that time???

Yes I changed them all as well as the pushrods.

Oil did not cause the previous failure. Suspected debris in lifter. I'll let you guys wrestle with that lol.

I started the troubleshooting process last night.

-Fuel pressure 60 idle , 50 wot
-Monitored sensors while commuting home. Everything seems to look normal. Tough to watch icp and the road at once.
-CCT test cyl 8 failed.
Grey cps meh! I'll try it again with the black.
-buzz test produced codes
1298 idm failure....I always have this even when truck runs great. No matter who's idm is installed.
1293 bank 1 (passenger) high to low open...ohmed harness at VC got all 5 ish with one 10 ohm reading. Check driverside for haha's got mostly 5 with one 8.
Harness are IH with 60k on them.

I'll see if I can pull the covers this weekend and check harnesses and rockers with dial indicator. If no broken buttons etc...

It definatley feels sluggish like low fuel press at times but that might be UVCH. It rumbles out the exhaust on decel too which is tough to grasp for a wiring problem.

mandkole

Reaction score
so, it does not do this (or run poorly) consistently? if not, its likely not mechanical. EBPV is clear and held open?

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
What's the valve guide clearance set at ?

We set them about .004 or so . seems the new guids are to tight . when they get heat soak seems to be sticking.....

Does it only do it warm and not cold ?? All the time ??

Seems better when cold then a few miles down the road it gets worse.

I found my paperwork and called the machine shop to confirm. They put new exhaust valves in as the seats were burnt and new injector cups per my request. Nothing was done with the guides they said they appeared fine at the time. Truck had 190k at the time
Now 208k. I was under the impression they did guides. Looking back I would have requested. Fuuuaarrkk!

Last edited:

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
so, it does not do this (or run poorly) consistently? if not, its likely not mechanical. EBPV is clear and held open?

I gutted it the ebvp. It's pretty consistent. It's likely mechanical.
Sounds like a cammed gasser when foot off the pedal cruising down a hill.

mandkole

Reaction score
only does it going downhill with the TC locked and no throttle? think it will show up in a video?

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
only does it going downhill with the TC locked and no throttle? think it will show up in a video?

Tried a video can't distinguish it over normal injector noise. I think If someone in a car next to me recording the tailpipe would pick it up.

It does it on acceleration also. The dead giveaway that it's mechanical is it does it on decel too.

I spoke with Dave and Johnny at swamps today they gave me some folk lore stories of odd engines past. So got a few pointers on not so common rocker issues to lookout for. Those guys are great!

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Well happy new year!

Did a few more buzz tests yesterday and day before and no idm codes.

I pulled it apart today. Checked every rocker and pushrod. They all look good. Turned it over by hand a million times trying to find a worn rocker socket or pushrod. Spun all the pushrods they are straight. They all looked good with no excessive play. I used a starter button as last resort. Last year when the lifter was getting stuck it would thump using the starter button turning it over and was able to pinpoint what valve it was.

So I figured I'd look at uvch. Both connectors were not disconnected but just off slightly under the cover. I pushed them back up (they barely moved) and ohmed again...all 3.2. Put 2 quarters in and fired it up and road tested. I'll be damned it runs normal now. I'm not convinced but it accelerates normal now and runs like a raped ape again. Still has Th rumble on decel but I'll run it for now.

As far as the valve guides I don't know. I've had one engine where the guides were so shot exhaust was running up and out the valve seals and others where I had to beat coaches out with dead blow hammer and they ran fine.

Thx for reading and replying! I'll keep ya posted if it goes sour again. I only drove it 5 miles but significantly better.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you didnt take the rockers off and inspect them while you had it all apart?

live life full throttle

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
you didnt take the rockers off and inspect them while you had it all apart?

live life full throttle

No I didn't. The lack of power and random missfire something would have shown up. I inspected everything in place thoroughly. There is no excessive play or suspected issue with a lifter. I jumped to conclusions. The last issue I had one lifter would stick and bleed
down resulting in a thump during cranking. Still a slight rumble on decel but noticeably better. Doesn't make sense but the truck had been different for a few weeks consistently now.

Put another 28 miles on it today. Runs normal again. Hanging my hat on the uvch connection. I did have 10 ohms on one injector and 5.5 on the rest. Now all 3.2.

Arisley

Reaction score
While I completely agree with you that you probably found the issue, I also agree with Jake. There is no way I would have taken it apart that far withour pulling off each rocker arm and inspecting it. At the same time, I would have been rolling the push rods on a piece of glass or a mirror (best way to see any warpage whatsoever). However, it does appear that you found your issue. That is the best part.

Latest posts

Members online