Hung another lifter...wtf!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
While I completely agree with you that you probably found the issue, I also agree with Jake. There is no way I would have taken it apart that far withour pulling off each rocker arm and inspecting it. At the same time, I would have been rolling the push rods on a piece of glass or a mirror (best way to see any warpage whatsoever). However, it does appear that you found your issue. That is the best part.
15 minutes extra to do so is good insurance in my book..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Eh I dunno. Kinda second guessing here. It runs good don't get me wrong just still has a cammed gasser sound to it slightly. Really aggravated at the machine shop I used. I had dropped the heads off and showed them I was concerned about the guides and thought it was in the job as I just got a call saying they needed exhaust valves and a pickup date. Just another variable in the mix. Who knows could be the oil after all.

Other than broken rockers and pushrods bending what else have you all seen?

After a convo with swamps they eluded to having 1 engine they recall that had a worn rocker socket where the pushrod sits allowing play in the rocker when the valve was relaxed. I've changed quite a few bent Pushrods on the dt466 and they are easy to spot once the cover is off. Then I roll the others on glass. They are solid lifter however.

Anyway nice to meet you all. My name is Ryan . Happy
Motoring!

2001 7.3 swamps 175/146 single shots/ idm ts-6 chip.

Last edited:

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
I think the only way to pick it up is maybe a video next to the tailpipe going down the road.

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Update...

Pulled it apart again last night.

Checked all the pushrods on glass - good

Pulled apart rockers. Only thing I found was one pivot ball was scuzzy and lost its shine so to say. Rocker looks to have ever a tad more wear than the rest. I tried mic'ing them measuring the ball inside the sockets, very inaccurate but hopefully something would show. That one was .004 difference on average. Don't think that's enough tbh. Went down to ford and ordered one this am. Put it together because I need it to move a family member today. The scuffed ball is on the left.
image_1.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
So a chunk of shti got into it. Could a piece of glow plug or simething got loose in the hole that lifter belongs to and scored the lifter or cam lobe?

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
So a chunk of shti got into it. Could a piece of glow plug or simething got loose in the hole that lifter belongs to and scored the lifter or cam lobe?

First time I repaired it a lifter seemed to have debris in it. Like sand or foreign matter from valve cover removal. What your saying isn't impossible but I think there is a better chance of hitting the powerball.

The ball in the pic is from higher up in the rocker arm above the glow plugs.

Latest posts

Members online