Hydra Purchase

ja_cain

Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase a Hydra, but was also considering getting one from GH so I could pick up some of their files (extra $110) to compare to PHP's. I have a ZF-6 and the truck is stock, so I don't know how different their equivalent tunes will really be. I'd rather use the extra money to put towards the gauges. Just wondering if I could get some feedback from guys that have tried tunes from both tuners on stockish trucks with a zf-6. Thanks in advance.

ToMang07

Reaction score
IMO, just pick one or the other, seeing as you have a ZF6 I imagine there won't be much of a difference, other than PHPs tend to be a tad more smokey.

Or.... buy both. It is a 15-tune Hydra, afterall, lol

dsberman94

Reaction score
Everyone raves about the trans tuning from GH. Honestly I love the trans tuning for the auto but it felt like PHP tunes were a little stronger but definitely more smoke and definitely ran a lot hotter. I'd just stick with the php tunes if I were you.

Bluke

Reaction score
Plus the hydra is on sale right now for $325 at cncfabricationllc dot com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would love to buy one with the Minotaur package, but can't justify it right now. I think I'll just save my money, and go with PHP's standard tunes. I really just like the one tune idea and drive by the gauges, especially since I have a zf-6. I might just have the pcm flashed if I find myself using the same tune all the time regardless of the situation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

m j

Reaction score
I find I switch tunes. the bigger tunes are smokey down low when lugged at all with a manual daily driving, but thats with a 200% nozzle

Izzybird

Reaction score
My 2000 has a zf6 and is on stock injectors running matts tunes. I switched the ts one time in the years I've ran his tuning trying to yank a load up a steep grade because the stock turbo was beyond pissed. With the 38r on his all out stock injector tune never misses a beat. I can see switching the trans tuning if your running a auto for different situations I guess, but with a standard it seems like a waste of time. To me anyway. I say leave it in all out and go, my switch is up under the dash and lives there permanently. Surge with the stock turbo can definitely be an issue though.

Reaction score
I've had tunes from both company's. Awhile back when I had 160/80's I had my TS flashed through KT performance with PHP tunes. My truck was a dog, I tried everything they told me to try with no results. I ended up sending it to GH and the truck ran great. I've used them ever since.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think I am going to get the GH tunes too. Thanks a bunch for everyone's input! I was originally considering a three gauge cluster, but now I'm thinking about the Edge Insight CTS so I can datalog everything. I plan on doing some dyno pulls on one of my buddies dynos before and after installing the chip. I would love to be able to datalog everything (including egt) and the CTS Insight allows me to do that. My plan is to have dyno pulls on the same dyno for each and every mod I make. He will not charge me anything, so what the hell. I would love to document this and post it up on the forum. What do you guys think about this idea?

Reaction score
I want a CTS, I never look at my gauges. I'd be cool to look at all the max logged numbers. Also If I were you, and the dyno was free and accurate i'd use it all the time just for fun.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I want a CTS, I never look at my gauges. I'd be cool to look at all the max logged numbers. Also If I were you, and the dyno was free and accurate i'd use it all the time just for fun.

As far as I know its accurate and calibrated periodically. It is at a major fuel/oil additive company. They supposedly have more chassis dynos than any other company in the US. They also have AWD dynos too! They can also simulate all kinds of loads too. Afton Mountain is one of them they like to use. :) It should be pretty cool to document everything.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just wondering what the difference between the CTS and CTS2 is? GH seems to only offer the CTS.

redneck1

Reaction score
Cts2 is the new version of the cts. Better screen, better all around as far as I can tell so far. Got a cts2 about 6 months ago after running a cts. Would recommend the cts2 by far!

Beyond the edge of reason

mandkole

Reaction score
I plan on doing some dyno pulls on one of my buddies dynos before and after installing the chip. I would love to be able to datalog everything (including egt) and the CTS Insight allows me to do that. My plan is to have dyno pulls on the same dyno for each and every mod I make. He will not charge me anything, so what the hell. I would love to document this and post it up on the forum. What do you guys think about this idea?

sounds great-- a lot of this old 7.3 tuning discussion would benefit to be revived again.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Cts2 is the new version of the cts. Better screen, better all around as far as I can tell so far. Got a cts2 about 6 months ago after running a cts. Would recommend the cts2 by far!

Beyond the edge of reason

Thanks for the info! Ordering one tonight, hopefully. :)

ja_cain

Reaction score
sounds great-- a lot of this old 7.3 tuning discussion would benefit to be revived again.

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Can't wait to do some baseline runs to see where she's at with stock tuning.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Looks like GH has the best deal on the Hydra with their tunes. Not sure why they don't ask for any specific info about my truck when going through the checkout process though. Anyone else have some insight on this? I may just wait till tomorrow and give them a call.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you ordered stock tunes maybe it doesnt matter...did it ask for your pcm code?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Looks like GH has the best deal on the Hydra with their tunes. Not sure why they don't ask for any specific info about my truck when going through the checkout process though. Anyone else have some insight on this? I may just wait till tomorrow and give them a call.

You might get an email for that stuff. If you do you'll have to follow the link in the email, fill it out online, then hit submit and they take care of the rest. That's how the Gear head orders work.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just thought ordering stock tunes wouldnt he just order the hydra then go and dl the appropriate tunes after he gets it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.