Hydra

ja_cain

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing my Hydra with GH tunes last weekend. So far I love driving in the Street Muscle tune (80 to 100hp increase) as long as I don't get on it too hard and get the revs up too high. It has definitely revealed some weaknesses on the oil side though. I don't want to be to hasty and blame the hpop as it could be a sticking IPR or leaky injector o-rings. The motor has about 155,000 miles on it with everything being original so it could be one or more of those things. I wish there was an easy way to discern if the IPR was sticking or not performing up to snuff but I don't think there is a way (injector o-rings could be causing this but need to pull vc's to check those). It runs like a turd after a real hard run and will not maintain ICP on a hard pull on the highway as the %DC approaches the maximum of 65% and the pw starts to go skyward.

I plan on doing some heavier towing in a couple weeks and look forward to seeing how it performs relative to stock (on the same route). That all being said, the truck is so much more of a joy to drive. I also still have the bellowed up-pipes/******d pedastal to install and some new cac/intake boots. This is definitely some low hanging fruit that I look forward to taking advantage of.

If I end up pulling the injectors, it will be to replace them not just the o-rings. I am really torn on whether to go with the 200% hybrids that Charles is running or just run some AC codes with a 30% nozzle. Hopefully the injectors/injector o-rings still have some life in them and it's just the IPR. I think I am going to just replace it since it has a lot of miles on it.

One other thing, if any cares to read this and they are attempting to clean their J3 connector with the scotchbrite, just hold off and get a brand new brass brush. It worked much better than the scotchbrite. I started out with the scotchbrite and felt it was too aggressive and switched to the brush and it worked beautifully.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Glad you like the hydra!

I loved my 175/30s and loved my 250/100 hybrids.

For the IPR. They usually work, or they don't. I'm betting your stock hpop is having a hard time keeping up with split shot injectors. I'm sure new hybrids would definitely help.

I just installed some 200/30% hybrids from swamps for a friend and I LOVE the way it runs.

I'll have to remember to use a brass brush next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Glad you like the hydra!

I loved my 175/30s and loved my 250/100 hybrids.

For the IPR. They usually work, or they don't. I'm betting your stock hpop is having a hard time keeping up with split shot injectors. I'm sure new hybrids would definitely help.

I just installed some 200/30% hybrids from swamps for a friend and I LOVE the way it runs.

I'll have to remember to use a brass brush next time!

Thanks for the info jo! I think I may just go with a set of 200 somethings when the time comes. A
Ultimately, I just want tow beast. What turbo is your buddy running with those injectors? Has he had the opportunity to tow with them? I'm thinking either the diesel site or honey badger Jr hpop if I replace mine. Also, as much as I want to build my own T4 setup and run one of the b&w sxe turbos, I'm seriously thinking about the kc38r turbo with the .83 exhaust housing initially since I have a zf-6.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
He's running a turbonetics ball bearing turbo. Runs good and the thing is way quieter then a 38r.

Hasn't towed with it yet. Trans started to give him issues. (ATS trans) go figure.....

I vote T500 or adrenaline for hpop. But honestly if you have a 17degree pump. With hybrids, you should be just fine with the stock hpop.

ja_cain

Reaction score
He's running a turbonetics ball bearing turbo. Runs good and the thing is way quieter then a 38r.

Hasn't towed with it yet. Trans started to give him issues. (ATS trans) go figure.....

I vote T500 or adrenaline for hpop. But honestly if you have a 17degree pump. With hybrids, you should be just fine with the stock hpop.

Yeah, in theory the hybrids with a 30% nozzle should be OK even with a 15 degree hpop.

Too bad they still don't make those TN BB turbos. They seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. It's neat to still see them floating around and people getting good use out of them.

Jomax

Reaction score
Yeah, in theory the hybrids with a 30% nozzle should be OK even with a 15 degree hpop.

Too bad they still don't make those TN BB turbos. They seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. It's neat to still see them floating around and people getting good use out of them.

He just bought his brand new with a turbo smart waste gate locally. Price was the same as a 38r.

I also have one in my garage with bad bearings.

On my e99 with a 15degree hpop with 280k. My 250/100s were detuned to the same power 175/30s hot tune and I held 3200psi at WOT. I love hybrids

superpsd

Reaction score
Another option is a Honey Badger SR. Mine is doing good so far but they are still new. If you find a good deal on a used SRP1.1 you can have Dyno Proven upgrade it to a SR on the cheap.

ja_cain

Reaction score
He just bought his brand new with a turbo smart waste gate locally. Price was the same as a 38r.

I also have one in my garage with bad bearings.

On my e99 with a 15degree hpop with 280k. My 250/100s were detuned to the same power 175/30s hot tune and I held 3200psi at WOT. I love hybrids

Good stuff man. Ultimately I want to fool around with the whole 200% nozzle thing and I think it would be a good idea (from an initial investment standpoint) to go with a hybrid when I replace these old sticks. Then all I have to do is add the different nozzles and have them flow tested/ballanced. Btw, in their detuned state, how was the smoke? I would think that you could just scale the ICP accordingly with the 30% nozzle so that the final injection pressure is equivalent to an A code at all but the highest commanded pressures. That way you are still getting good overall atomization.

superpsd

Reaction score
Love the 200% nozzles so far. Stock idle and clean when driven moderately. Granted I have a B codes which have a higher VOP and overall design and ratio. Just spent a week driving to Seattle and having to battle stop and go and low speed traffic. I was able to pull PW back so it had not Mich more power than stock and was smoke free.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

Big steaming pile of dog ****...

Jomax

Reaction score
Good stuff man. Ultimately I want to fool around with the whole 200% nozzle thing and I think it would be a good idea (from an initial investment standpoint) to go with a hybrid when I replace these old sticks. Then all I have to do is add the different nozzles and have them flow tested/ballanced. Btw, in their detuned state, how was the smoke? I would think that you could just scale the ICP accordingly with the 30% nozzle so that the final injection pressure is equivalent to an A code at all but the highest commanded pressures. That way you are still getting good overall atomization.

At WOT it's was medium smoke. Nothing crazy.

And all I had was a small e99 charger.

Latest posts

Members online