Ideas for flushing intercooler after catastrophic turbo failure?

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Well, Sunday morning about 3am, pulling a rather large gooseneck, my turbo said "Eff This Noise" and blew. I'm gonna rebuild it, but I need some ideas to flush the intercooler to get all that oil out. I usually flush oil out of a cooling system with cascade and water, but this is the intake...should I plug the ends of the cooler and fill it with water/cascade? Just need advice, thanks in advance!

b4389903bc6bd3552eafb3b4fca9caf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well, Sunday morning about 3am, pulling a rather large gooseneck, my turbo said "Eff This Noise" and blew. I'm gonna rebuild it, but I need some ideas to flush the intercooler to get all that oil out. I usually flush oil out of a cooling system with cascade and water, but this is the intake...should I plug the ends of the cooler and fill it with water/cascade? Just need advice, thanks in advance!

b4389903bc6bd3552eafb3b4fca9caf6.jpg

Just leave one end up, with the outlets pointing down to where any oil inside will drain out. After that, I'd blow it out with some compressed air in case any metal found its way in there.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Oil - fill it with your choice of cleaner and hook up a shop vac to dry it out. I've used brake cleaner, carb cleaner, Simple Green, Spray Nine in the past and washed out the cleaner with water. I then hooked up the vac to dry it out.

Metal- replace it.....there is no way to clean it out 100% and know if it's clean.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Houston it's kinda pointless to quote a post that is right above your post.

Just saying. Derail over

Some kinda degreaser should get the oil out.

psduser1

Reaction score
Lol, I appreciate it but I think I'm gonna see if I can save mine.

I'd say pull it out, let it soak with hot water and soap, see what you get. May take a couple times, but if it's just oil, the water should be clean after that. Good luck!

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Thanks again y'all. Overall, I got lucky. I was only about an hour and a half away from home and it didn't runaway with me. It's just rebuilding a turbo, it could have been much worse...I still love my truck!

RattlinFord

Reaction score
I appreciate it but I think mine is rebuildable. My truck is an early 99, I was gonna swap a late 99-03 turbo on but then I read what all else had to be swapped and I just don't have the funds for that at the present time

RattlinFord

Reaction score
Yea but then I'll still need the bellowed up pipes which I can't afford and I believe there's something else...it'll just have to wait until a later date

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You would still would have to deal with your jntercooler pipes, down pipe and intake manifolds.

Latest posts

Members online