IF and WHEN???

DaCajun

Reaction score
I don't know where else to ask this so I figured this section may be the best. Right as far as I know California is the only state requiring emission testing on diesel trucks, If and when this moves on over to other states, what years do you guys think they'll require this on? All years going back to one's with EGR and Cat's or just the 2008 and up since those all have the *** which seems to be the biggest aggravator??? Knowing our government, I have no doubt the liberatards are going to push more and more states into going this way!!!

What say you???

DaCajun

Reaction score
It depends. Sometimes I still get hassled with not having a cat on a 6.0 when going through inspection.

What state or you in??? Here in Texas where we just have a safety inspection and this place I've been getting mine done does just that and never even looks or asks about anything else. I'm just wondering how long this is going to last and if and when they do make the change will it go back to 2003 or to 2008??? :cursing:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
In AZ its a visual inspection and a smoke opacity test. I believe it goes all yhe wat back to 96 or 97. CA goes to 96-97 as well, and used to be only visual and snap smoke test, but now is apparently a plug in to make sure all monitors are set.

DaCajun

Reaction score
In AZ its a visual inspection and a smoke opacity test. I believe it goes all yhe wat back to 96 or 97. CA goes to 96-97 as well, and used to be only visual and snap smoke test, but now is apparently a plug in to make sure all monitors are set.

Damn, no ****??? Whew,,, you guys got it rough man!!! But then again, you just never know when that'll get here... I think we have a while before it ever get's that bad over here as we're still a pretty hardcore red state, but that don't mean them libratards aren't trying!!! Damn Austin Tx. is almost like San Fransico with all the fruitcakes they have in that city, and it just so happens to be the state capital!!!! Yeah, like they aren't planning all that crap, right??? Anyways, cars down here after 20yrs. they become emission exempt so we'll have to see how this crap turns out.... The reason I ask, I'm building a 6.7 and I'm trying to see what year cab to put it in to hopefully be forever except from all that crap!!! That's the plan stan!!!

Built4tq

Reaction score
Here in southern UT,still only safety inspections...however, I've been yelled at for emissions compliant parts recently,just last year actually,for a cat and muffler on my 97 obs 7.3. So I do believe,the pot is beginning to boil nation wide.

Depends on who you asked...and who they've passed....etc etc.

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
Here in Indiana they just let you drive with no inspection, but I tell you what, my 6.0 will be old enough that I dont have to worry about inspection if they make me do it :)

1stock13

Reaction score
NC has several "farm county's" that require OBD1 Safety inspections, even on gas passenger cars and tucks. My truck just happens to registered in one. Its pays to own land in rural areas.:D

patricku47

Reaction score
NC has several "farm county's" that require OBD1 Safety inspections, even on gas passenger cars and tucks. My truck just happens to registered in one. Its pays to own land in rural areas.:D

A lot of the smaller counties in Texas are the same way, safety only on all vehicles. I had a built 2002 Mustang with no emissions on it that happened to be registered to my farm in east Texas for the very reason....

uncool

Reaction score
CA is 98 and newer.

Plug in and all monitors must be complete, visual inspection of equipment and a smoke check.

I just did mine yesterday so I know. Passed with no issues.

JMart

Reaction score
A lot of the smaller counties in Texas are the same way, safety only on all vehicles. I had a built 2002 Mustang with no emissions on it that happened to be registered to my farm in east Texas for the very reason....

Is it still like that? I thought all of Texas changed to emission testing on gas cars.

Reaction score
California is '98 and newer.

'98-07 Diesel all turned on OBD monitors must be complete and if the hood under the sticker says it needs a cat it will need a cat. Also any visible modifications need what's called an "E.O. Number" in order to pass.

'08-up Diesel is up to any 2 monitors not complete and all equipment to pass visual inspection.

All vehicles, gas and diesel, get a visible smoke test. All visible smoke must gone in 3 seconds.

What this means, if your 6.0 has an EGR modification of some sort, just turning the code off won't work. The EGR monitor needs to be complete. It is also causing problems on trucks that have Sinister/Bulletproof coolers because they don't flow enough for certain strategy codes.

Most other states are doing an emissions check via OBD only. To my knowledge they aren't as strict as California on the I/M Monitors, most allow 2 to be incomplete on all years.

patricku47

Reaction score
Is it still like that? I thought all of Texas changed to emission testing on gas cars.

As far as I know its mainly just counties that surround major cities that have emissions testing. I know that San Jacinto county (north of Houston) was still non emissions as of a month or so ago.

JMart

Reaction score
As far as I know its mainly just counties that surround major cities that have emissions testing. I know that San Jacinto county (north of Houston) was still non emissions as of a month or so ago.

You are right, I looked it up. Only 17 counties in Texas require emissions. DaCajun is wrong about the 20 years thing though. Its actually 25 years.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I have kept a PO box in the county I grew up in in Texas for my whole life for the sole purpose of vehicle registrations...even when I've lived out of state. I think it's like 14 bucks a year for no hassle inspections.

cbf9703

Reaction score
TN has emissions for the counties touching the major metropolitan areas. We have idle opacity test for older diesels (my 97 is opacity), but they scan OBD2 for newer trucks (my 03 gets the OBD scan.... For what emissions code? Idk). Easy way for them to make a few bucks every year. We don't have a safety inspection, just emissions in a handful of counties.

According to the emissions laws we are supposed to have a cat, etc if it came from the factory that way. My 12v came with a cat and a muffler, both have been long gone for years and they've never said anything. They haven't even slid a mirror under the truck in years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
TN has emissions for the counties touching the major metropolitan areas. We have idle opacity test for older diesels (my 97 is opacity), but they scan OBD2 for newer trucks (my 03 gets the OBD scan.... For what emissions code? Idk). Easy way for them to make a few bucks every year. We don't have a safety inspection, just emissions in a handful of counties.

According to the emissions laws we are supposed to have a cat, etc if it came from the factory that way. My 12v came with a cat and a muffler, both have been long gone for years and they've never said anything. They haven't even slid a mirror under the truck in years.

WOW...I've lived in east TN.my whole life and didn't know there were any emissions law's in my beloved volunteer state.I sure hope it dont get any worse than that.I guess your never to old to learn..
sqrlgtr

cbf9703

Reaction score
WOW...I've lived in east TN.my whole life and didn't know there were any emissions law's in my beloved volunteer state.I sure hope it dont get any worse than that.I guess your never to old to learn..
sqrlgtr

LOL yep, learn something new everyday. I've lived in Rutherford and Wilson Counties, they both touch Davidson (Nashville). One more county out and you don't have to worry about it....

Latest posts

Members online