If I need a starter??

portlandareae28

Reaction score
So the starter has been going really slow the last couple of days, truck barely starts. I took the truck in to have the batteries tested, they test at 870 cold cranking amps and are rated at 850. The shop says they tested the starter and it is good too. I will clean all of the connections on the batteries tonight, and hopefully have the time to check the starter connection as well. If I do end up needing a starter, which one? I have read some about guys getting a superduty starter that is gear reduction, but have not looked at any spec on my own as of yet.

Thanks

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Definitely make sure the wires are tight at the starter as well as the long bolts that hold it all together. I just had the same exact symptoms and it was all caused by one of the long bolts holding the starter together coming loose. Tightened it back up and all was well.

Offset gear reduction starters are good. Get a Motorcraft one if needed.

old man dave

Reaction score
Also check for corrosion under the insulation of the cables, the corrosion thins out the copper and results in high resistance.

If you need a starter then use a SD 2002-2003 7.3 two bolt mount starter. Get a 6mm nut since the control wire stud on the starter is larger than the OBS starter stud. Also need to ream out the control wire lug a bit to fit. SD starter cranks faster than the OBS starter. I like the Motorcraft (Ford). Some of the aftermarket lifetime garantee starters make you use the garantee often.:(

Use a long 3/8 extension to get to the mounting bolts. Of course, the bolt the SD starters don't use is the one easiest to get to.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
Well the pos Napa starter is laying on the floor in my garage, my hand was forced last night as I needed the truck this morning, so I got a POS Chinese gear reduction starter for $125. At least my expectation level is $125. I will find a SD turbo and get the old starter guy up the street to do a rebuild on it and carry a spare.

Latest posts

Members online