If it ain't broke...

uga33

Reaction score
just leave it alone. Been doing a lot of reading on CompD and the Duramax forums about better filtering options to replace the AirDog filters. After reading about it, I decided to go with a Cat filter. Here is a good discussion on a Duramax forum:
http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32869

The old AirDog filter comes off easy. To run the Cat filter, you have to modify the bracket because the filter is larger. No problem. Spin the Cat filter on hand tight. Still binding on the bracket, so I go to spin it off to cut it down a little more because it is leaking when I went to prime it. Go to take it off and it will not budge! After torqueing on it with a filter wrench, it finally let go. But, it pulled the pickup tube out of the pump base. After attempts to remove the pickup off the filter, this is now what it looks like.

photo9.jpg

I was under the impression that all this stuff was the same size across the 3 different diesel brands. Is the thread size different where the primary filter spins on between the Duramax and the Power Stroke pumps? The next big question is, will I be able to just buy the pickup tube for the primary filter? Lord I hope so.

P.S.
Has anyone run the 1R0751 Cat filter as an Airdog filter replacement on their Power Stroke AirDog?

Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated!!

09stroker

Reaction score
Did you lubricate the new filter threads? I have a CAT 1R0749 for my truck and I threaded it on a also new filter base and it went in almost enough for the seal touch and stopped. So I tried to back it out but it only went back like an 1/8 of a turn and stopped again. Never got it off. Hammer, lube , 18 inch pipe wrench, nothing got it to budge one bit. I'm guessing cause the threads were dry. Good luck to you tho

Crack85

Reaction score
Did you lubricate the new filter threads? I have a CAT 1R0749 for my truck and I threaded it on a also new filter base and it went in almost enough for the seal touch and stopped. So I tried to back it out but it only went back like an 1/8 of a turn and stopped again. Never got it off. Hammer, lube , 18 inch pipe wrench, nothing got it to budge one bit. I'm guessing cause the threads were dry. Good luck to you tho

So is it still stuck on there???:shrug:

uga33

Reaction score

My issue to a tee!! I figured maybe the pickup tube might have bottomed out in the bottom of the filter. Were you able to get just the pickup from AirDog?

White_monster

Reaction score
Cut the filter apart and you should relieve the pressure on the bottom of the pick up tube. The cat filter is longer so I doubt the pick up is the issue. I think you'll be buying a new pick up.

uga33

Reaction score
Cut the filter apart and you should relieve the pressure on the bottom of the pick up tube. The cat filter is longer so I doubt the pick up is the issue. I think you'll be buying a new pick up.

I will definitely be buying a new pickup as I boogered the threads up bad on that one. I was just hoping to find out if they sell that seperately.

uga33

Reaction score
Update: Just called Pureflow and ordered the part. $1.50. Really hope that is the right part they are sending.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right part number for the filter? There are two part numbers away that look the same but have metric and standard thread

uga33

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right part number for the filter? There are two part numbers away that look the same but have metric and standard thread

From all the research I did, this filter should have worked. The 1r0749 and 1r0750 both fit a 7/8x14 thread. Maybe my biggest issue was not lubing the threads. I would still like to use the Cat filters if I can find a definite answer to what went wrong. Are you saying the 1r0751 filter can be had in both metric and standard thread Dustin?

09stroker

Reaction score
:whs: 7/8-14 is the inlet/outlet thread size on the baldwin filter base for the 1R0749 and 1R0750

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
:whs: 7/8-14 is the inlet/outlet thread size on the baldwin filter base for the 1R0749 and 1R0750

The 0749 and the 0750 both use 1-14 threads... Baldwin makes more than one filter base LOL

My brother is using the CAT-0751 filter on his airdog on his duramax. This uses 7/8-14 UNF threads just like the airdog. This is the part number you want, I think you found your problem.

09stroker

Reaction score
I know this... was just trying to help him see where he may have gotten the sizes mixed up. Maybe you did not read where he said he thought the 0749 and 0750 were 7/8-14 threads.:poke:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
lol i clearly missed it then. :thumbsup:

heres a pic of my bros dmax
scaled.php

Latest posts

Members online