IH injector nozzle questions

secondarychaos

Reaction score
Considering the wealth of information available online, I've found how to build my AB code split shot injectors into 238/0 hybrids.

Only thing left is figuring out how to get 100% nozzles or so into my cores.

Are any of the stock IH nozzles larger than our stock nozzles? Or do I have to convince a vendor to sell me a set?

Having a hard time finding this last little detail.

Thanks,
Dan

superpsd

Reaction score
The IH nozzles have a different pattern. There like 5 and 6 hole tips. There are vendors that will sell any size of oversized nozzles outright. You have to shop around some of the vendors will not sell you nozzles. Some oversized nozzles are actually made by an Italian company if I remember correctly and I am sure there are ways to go thru one of their distributors. I bought 200% nozzles from a injector vendor last year. There are a few vendors that even list the larger nozzles on their site.

secondarychaos

Reaction score
My understanding is that the 5 and 6 hole nozzles have different spray angles- IE they would end up spraying on top of the piston when they should be spraying inside the bowl.

I've found 5 hole nozzles, but not knowing the spray angle, I wouldn't run them without confirming the proper angle.

superpsd

Reaction score
That is what has been said. That is why they recommend the 7 hole nozzles. The aftermarket nozzle ussually sell for 450-500$ for a set. River City Diesel (vendor here) sells nozzles on eBay. I just looked and 80% nozzles are 424.99$ free of shipping. The nozzle part numbers are ARF0AA-(nozzle size example -80 or -200). They are manufactured in Italy. My 200s were same exact part number and I went thru a different vendor. RCD is the cheapest price I have seen for just oversized nozzles.

Last edited:

secondarychaos

Reaction score
alright thanks. Seems like that's about my only option if I'm going to build them myself.

By the time I do internal and external o-rings, B code plunger and barrels, shims if I need them and nozzles, It's not much more expensive to just have them built.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
alright thanks. Seems like that's about my only option if I'm going to build them myself.

By the time I do internal and external o-rings, B code plunger and barrels, shims if I need them and nozzles, It's not much more expensive to just have them built.

Two things, first you are right. The parts are expensive and people don't realize when they go shopping.

Second if you put shims in them you are going backwards. Yes it can help, and many vendors use them but it is a bad band aid in my eyes. We constantly get sets in with complaints about idle, etc. All we have to do is remove them and properly set up the oil side and all issues go away.

I would hate to spend a lot of $$$ on parts to put together sub-par product.

superpsd

Reaction score
Agreed with Tim. Once you buy all the parts it is expensive if your doing it correctly. A DIY guys best chance is buying new Alliant injectors then buying alll the parts needed to convert them as you want. Then you have to find someone with a good test bench who will actually flow your home built injectors. If they are not right you have to go try and fix them and return to the bench likely paying them more for more bench time. By time you have a great set of injectors you will have more labor hours more money into them and no warranty. DIY injectors can be done but they are not going to save you money. Not to mention all the time tearing them down.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
On a side note, no "diy" job we have tested for customers have ever come close to the output flow or speeds we accomplish on a standard set of our injectors.

If all you know is piston stroke and plunger diameters, you really shouldn't try to build your own.

I don't care if you buy from us, but "diy" is typically worse all the way around than a set from the worst companies out there. From idle to just regular daily performance of the injector.

sootie

Reaction score
Agreed with Tim. Once you buy all the parts it is expensive if your doing it correctly. A DIY guys best chance is buying new Alliant injectors then buying alll the parts needed to convert them as you want. Then you have to find someone with a good test bench who will actually flow your home built injectors. If they are not right you have to go try and fix them and return to the bench likely paying them more for more bench time. By time you have a great set of injectors you will have more labor hours more money into them and no warranty. DIY injectors can be done but they are not going to save you money. Not to mention all the time tearing them down.

Wow. your tune is changing... LOL

DZL JIM

Reaction score
... but "diy" is typically worse all the way around than a set from the worst companies out there. From idle to just regular daily performance of the injector.

And too bad there are still greedy people who don't care and are willing to sell parts on eBay to people who don't know any better.

superpsd

Reaction score
Wow. your tune is changing... LOL

Not really I will continue to DIY cause I am one of those stubborn types who wants to know "I built it". I have yet to run my injectors and I am not getting my hopes up of them running great. I did not even touch the oil sides just plugged the split ports and nozzled them and have to scavenge thru a pile of used injectors to get good used parts like for broken nozzle springs etc... If they don't work I will be just buy a few more NEW BD codes and nozzling them cause I am stubborn like that. I also would not even try to DIY injector unless you have the ability to self tune as the nightmare going back and forth with a tuner to get DIY injectors to run right would be pointless. Still DIY can be rewarding but its going to cost more than going thru a vendor. When your injectors fail you have no one to call and blame but yourself.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I did a set of Jim's DIY injectors back in about 2008. Were 230/80 or 100s not sure which but I was happy with them.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I didn't follow up on it but I would say it was more problems with people installing them that didn't have a clue. They could have been unbalanced as heck, but idled good and ran good with off the shelf TS tunes.

Reaction score
What gets me is this... People can't even build these things back to stock, like make them work like stock injectors should, sooooo they don't even have a baseline to go off to even have half a clue of what to change and how everything works... They buy parts, from what other's say oh yeah it's that easy, I've built a handful of B model Cat injectors back to stock, with a pop stand, I did prolly 30 injectors before I even attempted to modify the nozzles or shims, the guys that have got them working as well as they do have more man hrs of research than most will ever endure. I have so much respect for these guys because they eat live and breathe them, it's a hard feet for some to advance as far as they have but like I said, buy a basic overhaul kit, if you can build a worn out injector to work as good as an alliant on the bench then you have a baseline to start with... Grab your notebook and then start making changes as you learn..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.