injector builders???

Reaction score
So I might sound dumb... IF oil volume drop and pressure drop per given time at higher rpms were not a factor (and sounds like Tim is saying it doesn't effect them as much as people thought, at least not for 175cc) than the 7:1 injectors would always win. So at what volume size injector and nozzle size do they start to even with each other and eventually the hybrids pass? Basically if an hpop could supply enough volume and pressure to empty x(amount)cc A code injectors in same pulsewidth of x-cc hybrid, that would be ideal. Again, I'm just thinking out loud, and am curious where the different efficiency levels break even and begin to go in opposite dirrections

ja_cain

Reaction score
So I might sound dumb... IF oil volume drop and pressure drop per given time at higher rpms were not a factor (and sounds like Tim is saying it doesn't effect them as much as people thought, at least not for 175cc) than the 7:1 injectors would always win. So at what volume size injector and nozzle size do they start to even with each other and eventually the hybrids pass? Basically if an hpop could supply enough volume and pressure to empty x(amount)cc A code injectors in same pulsewidth of x-cc hybrid, that would be ideal. Again, I'm just thinking out loud, and am curious where the different efficiency levels break even and begin to go in opposite dirrections

Thanks for asking essentially the same question I did! Hopefully someone will respond eventually. There are some older threads were Tarm (Thanks Tarm!) discusses some of the specifics with Bill at PHP and Golfer over at PSN. There is a wealth of knowledge in these posts. Not sure if I can post the links here or not. Will do so if someone lets me know its ok.

ja_cain

Reaction score
We were playing with Inventor Simulator today on one of the spin nozzles that we have developed and it is awesome! It basically modeled the exact recirc phenomenom that I have documented using short pulse width flash photography (can't use the high speed camera since it's technically owned by Dupont). Should be able to get the dimensions of the poppet valves from some patent drawings and plug them in and see what is going on. Will let you guys know what I find using normal operating parameters. Btw, if any of you guys are current students you can download student versions of Autodesk's software for free. The license is good for 3 years.e

V-Ref

Reaction score
RPM is irrelevant(for our injectors)

Capacity is irrelevant as we are not using full capacity. Nor is Nozzle size, as it alone is just a creator for resistance in the system.

Feel free to pick apart at anything you like this is why I personally rarely post anymore.

Nothing but the facts ma'am.

Keep drinking the koolaid:toast:

Since rpm is irrelevant. ....for your injectors....did you mean to post this? This is a helluva claim. Are flow sheets available for the unlimited rpm capable 7.3 heui injectors you build? I'd really be interested in your 200% nozzle data. Other builders have posted thier data, but you come on here, make big claims, but don't back it up with a flow sheet. Show me a flow sheet.

And enough about "other reputable builders" and talking smack in a subversive catty way. ...I'm gonna call you on it everytime.

Flow sheet or I'm calling B.S.

You TALK about just the facts....bring some facts....175cc making 500 hp....not those kind of facts though.

Flow data....please.

Thank you.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Since rpm is irrelevant. ....for your injectors....did you mean to post this? This is a helluva claim. Are flow sheets available for the unlimited rpm capable 7.3 heui injectors you build? I'd really be interested in your 200% nozzle data. Other builders have posted thier data, but you come on here, make big claims, but don't back it up with a flow sheet. Show me a flow sheet.

And enough about "other reputable builders" and talking smack in a subversive catty way. ...I'm gonna call you on it everytime.

Flow sheet or I'm calling B.S.

You TALK about just the facts....bring some facts....175cc making 500 hp....not those kind of facts though.

Flow data....please.

Thank you.

I have never/will never claim anything we have not produced proof of it in front of my eyes. You are obviously deep in the Unlimited camp(and good for you), I could hand you all our secrets and you would still call BS so sorry if I don't jump to your demands.

A flow sheet? I could write anything on paper, so I don't see that making every believe either. I have even posted videos of a sample of what we do, guess what, jumped on by everyone calling this BS or that BS.

If you have a specific flow question I would be happy to look through our files and tell you what we can do.

Honestly tell me what injector you would want to buy, one that can completely empty when driven all the way to 4000 rpm or one that can not be run past 1500 rpm before it starts to drop off the chart like a rock??

V-Ref

Reaction score
I have never/will never claim anything we have not produced proof of it in front of my eyes. You are obviously deep in the Unlimited camp(and good for you), I could hand you all our secrets and you would still call BS so sorry if I don't jump to your demands.

A flow sheet? I could write anything on paper, so I don't see that making every believe either. I have even posted videos of a sample of what we do, guess what, jumped on by everyone calling this BS or that BS.

If you have a specific flow question I would be happy to look through our files and tell you what we can do.

Honestly tell me what injector you would want to buy, one that can completely empty when driven all the way to 4000 rpm or one that can not be run past 1500 rpm before it starts to drop off the chart like a rock??
I'm deep into the 7.3 camp, proven products that work, and folks with integrity. Anyone that's worked with Nate, or used his products/services will find it hard not to be a Unlimited fan. That I'm "guilty" of for sure.

Your posts vary widely on the hormonal spectrum in my opinion. "Pot shots" or subversive comments about "other injector builders" are specifically what I'm attesting too...the response above was rather professional....hence the "hormonal" label I referenced above.

Anyone still innovating or supporting the 7.3 platform isn't doing it to get rich....they obviously have a dedication to the platform that I certainly appreciate. And I'm not smarter than you when it come to 7.3 heui injector theory, design, or knowledge.

Be nice to see a table of data from your testing of your injectors where icp, pw, cc's flowed were made available to back up the testing methods and quality of your product/service that you attest too.

Specifically. ...this latest post on 500+ hp 175cc A codes vs hybrids....that'd be the flow data enlightening to see. You said that this is a test you've done numerous times over the years...post up the flow data then.

I understand the reluctance to share data, in the fear of it only to be rejected and you jumped on. But if you're gonna throw it around out there that your product/service is superior.....you gotta back it up. You're real careful not to mention specific names...but it comes off as less than upfront and forthright.

And I ain't the only forum member thinking this same way. Do you really think that I'd take the time from my personal and professional responsibilities to post in here to challenge Swamps, Rosewood, etc just cause?

If you posted or shared data to back up the claims....the issue would be closed.

Last edited:

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Seriously V-Goof, I think most people enjoy when a vendor comes on and shares their opinions. Please don't run them off because of your man crush on Nate.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not an engineer, but I've been in the automotive field since the late '80s, I've done a lot of product testing and engine development, and I have a vastly better understanding of mechanical things than most. I also don't have a dog in this fight because I'm nowhere near doing injectors yet, my build has a long way to go to get to that point.

With that said, I don't think Tim @ P.I.S. is being unnecessarily vague, either to protect his trade secrets or to take away from other injector builders. He has provided legitimate data that any reasonable person can attempt to understand if they want to grasp the rest of what he is saying and take the time to truly understand what is going on. I think this is the problem for V-Ref, that he simply isn't understanding the full scope of the subject at hand, so he is hung up on things and sticking to what he knows from his injector builder because that's all he knows. Let's look at what Tim said:
175/80 made 490hp, 2.8hp/cc
200/80 made 510hp, 2.6hp/cc
And he clearly stated he preferred the A-Code to the Hybrid. His logic is solid, I thought about it quite a lot before deciding to post again in this thread.

As Tim alluded to, it ultimately comes down to the size of the nozzle (not the injector volume) and the ICP and pulse width you are operating at. With an 80% nozzle, it doesn't matter if you have a 160cc, 175cc, 200cc, or 238cc body. With A-codes, 160/80s will pace 175/80s at the same ICP pulse width for pulse width until the 160/80 is empty, only then is there a power advantage to a 175/80 because as Tim pretty clearly pointed out, the nozzle provides the final restriction. 200/80s or 238/80s will also make the same power given equal ICP and pulse width until pulse width exceeds the delivery volume of the smaller capacity injector.

The flow rate of the 80% nozzle at 22,400psi for A-Codes and at 16,000psi for Hybrids is a big factor too. At 22.4kpsi the nozzle will always flow more than at 16kpsi, that's verifiable and scientifically provable. So because Hybrids will always have roughly 20% less pressure at the nozzle than A-codes at equal ICP, they will always flow less fuel than an A-code through the same size nozzle at the same pulse width. You can make the argument that you wouldn't run the same program, but you have to see that the pulse width, if nothing else, would have to be higher on the Hybrid given identical ICP and 80% nozzles, just to deliver the same volume of fuel as the A-code operating with more final delivery pressure. Then we have to consider that there is a loss of atomization due to the Hybrid's lower injection pressure as well, which will have a small but measurable effect on burn rate and thus power, meaning even more fuel is required after matching the delivered volume just to make equal power.

So at this point, a 200/80 Hybrid is behind the 175/80 A-code in total fuel delivery, atomization quality, and power production all the way to the point the 175/80 is empty. The only advantage the Hybrid has is that it uses 20% less high pressure oil volume than the A-code, and if the 175/80 A-code can be run with a stock HPOP and maintain ICP, it's the superior choice. Only if the HPOP and IPR can't keep up with the injectors will the Hybrid will prove superior. It's not hard to see why the 200/80 only made 20hp more than the 175/80, they are basically the same size injector.

It would be fantastic to know the oil volume demands for both of the above example injectors and the flow rates for a variety of HPOPs, it would make sizing the injectors and pumps so much easier. I can kind of get close on the injectors oil consumption by reverse engineering and some math, I just haven't found pump data. Yet. The possibility of me running a 175/80 over a 200/80 depends on me determining the pump can provide the volume of oil the 175/80s need without running more that 85% duty cycle on the IPR. If that can be accomplished with a common 17° pump, I'll run the 175/80, I don't want to run an overdrive or an aftermarket pump, I'll run Hybrids first.

Sent by my right thumb!

m j

Reaction score
you certainly use a lot of qualifiers to 'make a case' for the 175s.
making 20 hp less is better? odd.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
you certainly use a lot of qualifiers to 'make a case' for the 175s.
making 20 hp less is better? odd.

So you're the guy that I used to hate tuning for, because you don't get it. I can give you an average of 30 torque more from 1200rpm to 2500rpm and you worry about the 20hp at 3200rpm. You'll use that 20hp 0.25% of the time, but you'd benefit from the additional torque 80% of the time. That's the problem with that 20hp, and what Tim is trying to say, a 175/80 Hybrid vs a 175/80 A-code, the Hybrid can't make the same power as the A-Code.

If the 175/80 A-code makes 2.80hp/cc, then it will make 490hp as he provided in his example.

If the 175/80 Hybrid makes 2.55hp/cc, like the 200/80 example did, then it will make 446hp.

You're using 12.5% more fuel volume with a 200/80 Hybrid to make 4.08% more power than a 175/80 A-code. The A-code is more efficient, a Hybrid 175/80 would be down 9.9% from the equally sized A-code, and 14.3% from a 200/80 Hybrid. You just have to have an HPO source that can supply the A-code with adequate volume.

Sent by my right thumb!

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
So you're the guy that I used to hate tuning for, because you don't get it. I can give you an average of 30 torque more from 1200rpm to 2500rpm and you worry about the 20hp at 3200rpm. You'll use that 20hp 0.25% of the time, but you'd benefit from the additional torque 80% of the time. That's the problem with that 20hp, and what Tim is trying to say, a 175/80 Hybrid vs a 175/80 A-code, the Hybrid can't make the same power as the A-Code.

If the 175/80 A-code makes 2.80hp/cc, then it will make 490hp as he provided in his example.

If the 175/80 Hybrid makes 2.55hp/cc, like the 200/80 example did, then it will make 446hp.

You're using 12.5% more fuel volume with a 200/80 Hybrid to make 4.08% more power than a 175/80 A-code. The A-code is more efficient, a Hybrid 175/80 would be down 9.9% from the equally sized A-code, and 14.3% from a 200/80 Hybrid. You just have to have an HPO source that can supply the A-code with adequate volume.

Sent by my right thumb!

By this logic, stock AA codes are the holy grail of 7.3 injectors.
98/0 making 290 hp works out to 2.95 hp/cc.

ja_cain

Reaction score
What I want to know is, at what oil flowrate does pressure drop across the poppet become significant enough that it makes sense to go to a hybrid. Also, keep in mind flowrate vs pressure applied is not going to be a linear relationship. In other words going from 16000 psi to 22,000 psi isn't necessarily going to mean a 28% increase in fuel flow assuming nozzle size stays the same. As the velocity of the fuel increases there is going to be significant delta p.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
By this logic, stock AA codes are the holy grail of 7.3 injectors.
98/0 making 290 hp works out to 2.95 hp/cc.

Definitely not, but your post thoroughly supports the idea that an A-code is making more power per cc than hybrids.

Where are the Hybrid supporters to show Hybrids making more than 510hp, and up to 590hp from 200/80, or even a 200/400 for that matter, to show Hybrids are so vastly superior? How about 606hp to 702hp from 238/80+ or 637hp to 738hp with 250/80+? I've searched, those injectors aren't making those numbers at with 80, 100 or even 200 nozzles, in fact the bigger you go the less power per cc the Hybrids appear to make, just like the A-codes.

What I want to know is, at what oil flowrate does pressure drop across the poppet become significant enough that it makes sense to go to a hybrid. Also, keep in mind flowrate vs pressure applied is not going to be a linear relationship. In other words going from 16000 psi to 22,000 psi isn't necessarily going to mean a 28% increase in fuel flow assuming nozzle size stays the same. As the velocity of the fuel increases there is going to be significant delta p.

My observation with HPO is that at 65% max duty cycle on the IPR, the stock 15 degree pump on my 130cc injectors was popping ICP codes, and my current tune ups the maximum IPR duty cycle to 85% to resolve the loss of pressure, I'm now at 2600+/-psi above 2500rpm. So the pump has the volume, but the IPR flow was too high. Surely the change to the 17 degree pump was to avoid increasing the IPR duty cycle to make the added volume needed for the 150cc injectors.

As far as the nozzles, yes, the pressure drop will have a big effect on the flow rate. Simple standardized flow calculations, divide the new pressure by the old pressure, find the square root of that number, multiply the old flow rate by the square root number you just found.

Dropping the pressure from 22,400psi to 16,000psi will drop the flow rate through the nozzle. If the nozzle flows 175cc/min at 22,400psi (obviously I don't have an exact number because I don't build injectors and also don't have access to specific nozzle flow data) the same nozzle would only flow 147.9cc/min at 16,000psi. Conversely, if the 175cc/min nozzle was flowed at 16,000psi, and increased to 22,400psi it would flow 207.1cc/min. So the higher injection pressure through the nozzle will equal more flow through the same exact nozzle, and that further supports Tim's prior statements.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Without repeating everything why arent there 250cc a codes with 200% nozzles making 700 hp? If all of this is true?

Who says a stock 17° pump(bosch even) will fully support a 175/80? It doesnt. I know at least two other guys that tried the same thing. One, in race files icp tanks at one point. Granted the truck is ROLLING out when it happens on the street. A way to increase that deficiency? Throw a trailer on. Been there, done that.

Every heui truck needs better hpo. Some people claim they dont but alot of people drive around town, empty, doing 30mph.

When trucks are being used for what trucks do, upgraded oil and hybrids win out in the real world everytime.

All this garbage aside my 250/200 from Tim are smooth and ive got a.15° pump on the truck and the tuning is soft because of it but the truck runs better than it.ever did with 175s and an srp 1.1.

To each his own but this a code vs hybrid feels like 8 years ago.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Seriously V-Goof, I think most people enjoy when a vendor comes on and shares their opinions. Please don't run them off because of your man crush on Nate.
Does your Mom know that your posting on the Internet? Put down the mouse and play with the Be-dazzler you got for your birthday.

psduser1

Reaction score
I wish I knew how to multiquote, idahof350.
While I agree with your premise, it is lacking some info. Like, airflow requirements. Sooner or later that becomes a limiting factor, as well as pressure drops in various areas. In other words, the basic inefficiencies of the platform become exaggerated by big fuel.

Having said that, I don't see anyone selling 700hp out of an a-code, lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wish I knew how to multiquote, idahof350.
While I agree with your premise, it is lacking some info. Like, airflow requirements. Sooner or later that becomes a limiting factor, as well as pressure drops in various areas. In other words, the basic inefficiencies of the platform become exaggerated by big fuel.

Having said that, I don't see anyone selling 700hp out of an a-code, lol.

***k no. Fuel over time wins every time. This crap about nozzle pressure being horrible on hybrids is whack. We had that argument back in 2008.

V-Ref

Reaction score
A flow data sheet for the 500 hp 175cc 80% nozzle A codes could've put an end to the debate.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...and say it'll never be posted

Latest posts

Members online