Insane ICP and other issues....

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, short run down of the chain of events:
Engine has a lot of blow by, runs choppy, and cranks atleast 15 seconds to start but has good power.

Put another engine in, using original injectors, hpop, sensors etc.

Now, with new engine there is small oil leak, haven't tracked down, Truck still cranks awhile before it starts, won't build any boost. Plugged the scan tool in and it says 14-15k ICP at idle. Is this realistic? I don't see how the pump could actually make that much.

Anyone seen or heard of such thing? Or a direction on where to look?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That is not only unrealistic, its impossible for the sensor to actually read that. You have a sensor/wiring/computer problem of some variety.

dthompson

Reaction score
The engine was originally swapped due to extreme blowby, like oil blowing out of the dipstick. No way I was I going to throw parts at a junk engine. Therefore I figured I'd swap it and go from there. And here we are.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You state that you have an oil leak? where is that at - it could be a contributing factor to the long starts.

You reused several components that could also be contributing to long starts and choppy running (injectors, injector o-rings, HPOP, IPR, etc...) - these same components that could be failed might have also caused your significant amounts of blow by. Big Bore's comment comes more from a diagnostic troubleshooting perspective then anything else. Oil blowing out of the dipstick could be cause by lots of things other than blow by.... like a plugged CCV or overfilled oil or overfilled oil because of fuel dilution because of bad o-rings on the injectors that are also causing the long starts and choppy running. You really haven't given us anything other than a bogus ICP number to go off of.

golfer

Reaction score
your scantool is most likely giving you pressure in kPa..Kilopascals

1kPa= 0.145psi

sooo...14,000 (ish) kPa = 2,030psi.

mystery solved. :shrug:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
your scantool is most likely giving you pressure in kPa..Kilopascals

1kPa= 0.145psi

sooo...14,000 (ish) kPa = 2,030psi.

mystery solved. :shrug:

Yup scanners have the option to read pressures in mpa, kpa...

dthompson

Reaction score
I did put new o-rings on the injectors. I know for a fact that the old engine was shot. Low compression on several cylinders. I think your right on the kPa Dave. I will look into the oil leak.

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok it was kPa. PSI is about normal 3k when first started and cold, but went to around 5-600 when warm. The oil seems to be come from the front seal. Which is weird because I put a new one in when the engine was installed. When the engine is warm it won't start and only builds 300 ICP. Didn't have anytime to try to track that down this evening.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.