installed new (to me) turbos now a new issue

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
I bought my truck about 3 months ago, 2008 F350 crew cab dually 6.4. about 2 weeks after I bought it I took a trip from Knoxville, TN to Saginaw MI and back the trip there was uneventful and really rather enjoyable. While I was there I had to have a water pump put on and it started bogging down and spitting white smoke out the exhaust (that even got me pulled over) On the trip back I had to stop every 30-45 minutes and put in at least a gallon of water (started out putting coolant in and ran out of extra money). This went on for about a week when the turbos failed. Then the truck sat for 2 months while I gathered the parts needed to replace the turbos. I got them put in today and went to drain the oil before I started it up when I pulled the drain plug, I got between 1 and 2 gallons of water out of the drain before the oil started coming out. I got the oil changed and started it up (fired up first try with no hesitation) I drove the truck around the block a couple of times and couldn't get any more than 20 pounds of boost. Did I just :flush: my money down the drain? Or is this something that could possibly work itself out?

I did install an EGR delete kit thinking that could have been the issue with the coolant loss but didn't get to drive it at all due to the turbos being bad. Please someone give me something good.... I'm really hoping this isn't going to lead to a headgasket replacement. If I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thank you for any help you can give me

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
I did not inspect the oil cooler, I didn't know anything about it. I should have done some more research before installing everything.

What am I looking for with the water pump? I'm not sure what cavitation would look like.

78f100

Reaction score
These engines have to have coolant or they will cavitate bad. As already said pull the waterpump and inspect the front cover. Any signs of cavitation replace it, only takes a tiny hole to put the coolant in the oil. Your new turbos along with the rest of the engine will be bad if it is ran with coolant or water in the oil. The turbos are not being lubed properly with water in the oil. Front cover isn't a terrible job. Good luck.

78f100

Reaction score
I did not inspect the oil cooler, I didn't know anything about it. I should have done some more research before installing everything.

What am I looking for with the water pump? I'm not sure what cavitation would look like.

It will look like pits in the aluminum, kinda like a really old rusty piece of metal with rust pits. If its not a nice looking finish behind the waterpump it needs a cover. Also look really good sometimes its hard to see. I think I have a pic I will post.

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is what y'all are talkin about....

10854878_897242566976611_6704297925329000110_o.jpg

Anyone know where to get a good one for a decent price? I've found a couple of Ford dealerships that sell just a little above cost and they want over $400. I'm afraid the factory replacement will just do the same thing over time and I'll be back in the same position I'm in now.

Latest posts

Members online