Intermittent dying.

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok guys working on a friends 97 and the truck basically won't idle. There are times it will idle a few minutes, other times not at all. If you drive down the road and let out of the throttle most of the time it will die. Tried numerous CPS (ford) with no luck. Unplugged ICP thinking maybe a hpo problem. Truck always starts right back up. Thought might be a idle validation switch issue but I watched it and doesn't read off when it dies. 1 time there was a code about CPS signal interrupted or something.

What am I missing here? been doing it for a few months and he's been dealing with it, but wants to get it fixed before winter moves in. Thanks in advance!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok guys working on a friends 97 and the truck basically won't idle. There are times it will idle a few minutes, other times not at all. If you drive down the road and let out of the throttle most of the time it will die. Tried numerous CPS (ford) with no luck. Unplugged ICP thinking maybe a hpo problem. Truck always starts right back up. Thought might be a idle validation switch issue but I watched it and doesn't read off when it dies. 1 time there was a code about CPS signal interrupted or something.

What am I missing here? been doing it for a few months and he's been dealing with it, but wants to get it fixed before winter moves in. Thanks in advance!
does hpo tank when you let off? might be tps issues too.. the cps code is a cps signal intermittent maybe? is it recurring or was it just once?

live life full throttle

dthompson

Reaction score
I've only seen the code once. It dies repeatedly. I was thinking maybe tps. hpo does drop when it dies, but not sure if it does it when you let off of it if it stays running.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've only seen the code once. It dies repeatedly. I was thinking maybe tps. hpo does drop when it dies, but not sure if it does it when you let off of it if it stays running.

anyway to graph or log icp? does it only do it at certain times or anytime you lift off the skinny?

dthompson

Reaction score
Jake it seems to be just about any time. Even a constant idle it will do it. The harness looks ok and the nut is still on I'll check the fuel pressure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.